100% microwaveable food containers?

Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:49 pm
I want to find some light weight larger 100% microwaveable food containers I can heat my lunch in (before I leave for work in the morning) and then take with me to work.

I have some larger Rubbermaid ones that are clear plastic with a blue lid, but when they get hot they kind'a smell of plastic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,500 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:55 pm
This isn't helpful as it is a suggestion for a heavy travel container - But, I use glass containers with steam venting plastic covers.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:59 pm
My wife is trying to pawn off some glass units but it's a no sell, too heavy and bulky for their size.

The ones that kind'a stink when heated are called "Rubbermaid Sevin' Saver" 2.9 liter. They have a big "K"imprinted on them which I guess is the plastic type?

What are these glass containers with steam venting plastic covers?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
I will not use anything other than glass in a microwave. Any plastic looking container is suspect for putting cancer causing chemicals into the food, in my book.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:09 pm
That's my worry alrighty.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:12 pm
Hell, the food'l probably kill ya first.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I will not use anything other than glass in a microwave. Any plastic looking container is suspect for putting cancer causing chemicals into the food, in my book.

Glass or ceramic. I'm trying to train my parents.....
Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:21 pm
farmerman wrote:
Hell, the food'l probably kill ya first.
Even though these "Rubbermaid Sevin' Saver" units kind'a smell of plastic when microwaved?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:27 pm
What is wrong with heating the food in a glass or ceramic container in the microwave and then transferring the contents to the plastic one to take to work? Yeah, it means two dishes a day to clean, but it solves both problems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:29 pm
It wouldn't stay warm until lunchtime - unless you stick the container in an insulated bag.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:31 pm
or getting a microwave like an Advantium where the construction of the unit allows using aluminum foil without damaging the magnatron. Something to do with multipath interference control. We have one and its grand. I guess Im just solving a small dish problem by rebuilding your entire kitchen eh? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:32 pm
cook in foil? <shivers>
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:33 pm
I am not a transferring kind'a guy, I'm a zap and go sort'a dude.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
or getting a microwave like an Advantium where the construction of the unit allows using aluminum foil without damaging the magnatron. Something to do with multipath interference control. We have one and its grand. I guess Im just solving a small dish problem by rebuilding your entire kitchen eh? Laughing
I just bought two of the new Panasonic InverterĀ® microwave ovens. TheY do not use a transformer but use an inverter so can actually vary the intensity of the microwaves as opposed to timing them on and off the old fashioned way.

I am not sure how they would do with aluminum foil.

Quote:
InverterĀ® can maintain the best colour, shape, texture and flavours of the food by using the most appropriate power levels for each menu. Various types of foods can cook using a combination of high and medium to low power levels. Because the InverterĀ® delivers a continuous wave of energy, delicate food items can simmer without overcooking on the edges and surfaces. Due to a consistent delivery of microwave energy, foods will no longer undercook in the centre and have hard, overcooked edges. We can now enjoy better colour, shape, and texture in the foods we cook, along with delicious flavours

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/appliance/microwave/nns615w.asp
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 07:40 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Glass or ceramic
absolutely right, the thing is I almost always use plastic.
0 Replies