Electrical Problems - VW Beetle

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:26 am
Ok, so this is what gives... My wife has a fully loaded, 2001 VW Beetle GS - leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc. Last year the alternator went out on it and we had to have it replaced. Since then she's had nothing but electrical problems with it. Just after we got the car back, the front head light bulb blew out. I ordered a new one, because the local parts store didn't have VW parts in stock. So i ordered two just in case.. well, shortly after installing the bulb (Which was a feet in itself, let me tell you!!!), a few weeks later the same bulb went out again. So I replaced it again, thinking maybe it was a faulty bulb, or maybe I touched it with my bare hands... nope... same thing... few weeks later, the bulb burns out.

Second... the blinkers slowly died out... at first it was just hesitation, then it grew into fast clicks... then finally they just stopped working all together. The actual clicker is in the dashboard, just above the center console... I THINK I can get the cover off... there's just a few screws holding it in, but then what?

Third... All the gauges on the dash stopped working as well (Tach, Speedometer, Gas Gauge). The just froze up one day when it was bitter cold out. I figured it was the cold, but even after it got warm out, they just stopped moving.

With all this electrical BS, it's a been a real pain! She does nothing but complain about her car, and who'd blame her?!?!... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:55 am
You are not alone in your suffering. If you watch as you drive around, you can almost always find a new beetle with the passenger side headlight out. VW is fighting with it, but your case is the most extreme I have heard. It almost has to be a ground issue in my mind for all the gauges to quit at once.

This is probably not a do it yourself gig unless you have some training, and it will be rather tedious to find.

Your local dealer service department might be of help, I know they will be familiar with the issue.

RH
0 Replies

mhalliar

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:39 am
Yeah, I HAVE noticed a lot of the cars with one head light out... I'm really trying to avoid taking it into the dealership, 'cause it aint cheap! I've always worked on my own cars but these issues with her bug have just really stumped me!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:09 pm
If you have the ability, my first advice is to get a really good official VW service manual, familiarize yourself with the system, and then start checking continuity....

Got a mechanic friend that HATES the situation, and he deals with it once a month or so.

Good luck,

RH
0 Replies