"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

Izzie

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:16 am
@alex240101,
alex240101 wrote:

Happy holiday Izzie, and much warmness with happy tidings to the yabber crew.
I did not wrap your gift Izzie because of condensation. Yes, you can drink it straight up, tis the season.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/ItalianHotChocolate.jpg

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh YUMMY Very Happy What a poifect way, to start the day - chocolate! (((((((AlexChap))))))) Thanku. Hoping you had great festivities and all is tickety with you darlin'. xxxx

Morning Bosun - whassup Down Under? I know you had the best Christmas and that you've been taking it easy. Do you have plans for New Year? ((DannyBoy)) xx

FS - hope Crimbo was all that you wished for... So glad you are able to visit with our Danny, give him a mahousive hug for me when you see him <watch that rib though> and hope you iz healing well.

Stormy - Christmas Tidings to y'all in the East <how's yer snow?> ((Stormy))xxxx

Special Agent jw - FAB photo of the kids - how lovely they were with you and I hope Annie and y'all had a Christmas to remember (((jw))))

Taggers - hope the Cabin Boy's choral lunch went very well - I'm sure it will have - well done FiB.x Did you see the nipper and his bride this Crimbo or are they Hogmanaying Oop North?

Butterfly - love to you, Mom and Bro - hoping that you had a lovely Christmas in ABQ xxx and hugs to all our ABQA2Kers x

JPB - how you doin' girl? How was your Christmas? Do give those girls the biggest hugs from me - hope all the B's had a wonderful time together and that snow is not becoming bothersome.

We're struggling with the weather in the UK with dire flooding still all over and more and more and more rain to come <enough already>- it's been quite unbelievable. Our river is steady right now but we're due for some more big rain over the next 48 hours. So.much.water! Hoping that Charlie et al will get down on Sunday so we can see the New Year in together.

Bethieeeeee - festive greetings to you girl - loved your gangnam style - made I chuckle. Scritches for the 'ole pooches and a hug to Setman.

RH - hope you had a good Crimbo and all is well with Gram and the kitties. Hoping 2013 will be a good one for you.

Misssssssssy - glad the family were safe from the twisters...thinking of you right now ~ MaMa and especially PaPa today. One day at a time Dixie. (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Missy))))))))))))))))))))))))))xxxxx

Boida - thinking of you too and knowing the uncertainty is so horrible for you... ((((((((((((((((((((Boida))))))))))))))))) Hoping so much that 2013 will be a better year, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

(((((Blue))))xox xx

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Crew))))))))))))))))))))))))) y'ALL are in my thoughts and wishing good thangs for everyone in 2013.

Now, time for a cuppa

http://assets3.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/000/871/916/original_keep-calm-i-ve-got-mistletoe-mug.jpg?1354822656

before I tootle off to be a computer geek <bwahahhaaahhaha (not a clue)> Confused Razz Mr. Green for the folks and just in case I cant jump aboard before everyone arrives for New Year...

wishing you all a time of peace with those you love.

My love to those near and far, be safe, be well... x

annis

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:55 am
Hi all! Am so sorry I was unable to wish one and all a happy christmas!

I drove to my Mum's! Unfortunately our Christmas was not great! We all caught the Norvovirus! Think I have spelt it wrong! Anyway, we were soooo sick !!!! The day it's self was a real wash out! We couldn't eat much at the restaurant! Am so glad to be home!!!! I really hope u and urs had a perfect time!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:44 pm
Hiya yabber crew!

Just talked to mom - dad is very weak. They had to put him in the wheel chair to get him to the car. He had his first chemo today. It took 6 hours. They pumped him full of prednisone which is supposed to help with the side effects. I hope it does. I will be going down there next week. I am trying to find as many recipe's for folks on chemo. There are several rules I have to follow apparently. Everything peeled - no raw veggies. So many things to keep my eyes open for.

Mom sounds good though. Glad of that. Bro. is keeping an eye on them both.

Roberta - thoughts are with you as you wait. I know it has to be so difficult.

Hugs to you all...I hope you enjoy your weekend!
I am supposed to be putting together a ping pong table. phth.
mis
Izzie

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:20 pm
@mismi,
Hey Mis...

With the steroids, his blood sugars will go up ... a lot...so recipes with lower levels of sugars in would be good... the hospital dietician should be able to talk with you about this... it is most important to monitor those blood sugars with the high doses... which I'm sure they will be doing with regular blood counts of the WBC & Hb counts.

ginger for sickness and fairly bland food for a little while after the chemo days until he can tolerate the changes in flavours...

from the mayo clinic

Eating during cancer treatment: Tips to make food tastier
Eating well may help you feel better during cancer treatment, and it may make it easier to tolerate your treatments.
By Mayo Clinic staff
Living With Cancer

Subscribe to our Living With Cancer e-newsletter to stay up to date on cancer topics.

You may find that cancer or cancer treatment has affected your sense of taste. Food may seem to lack flavor or taste too sweet, salty or metallic. Usually these changes are temporary and will improve with time. In the meantime, do what you can to maintain your calorie intake and meet your body's protein, vitamin and mineral needs.

If you normally follow a specific diet, such as one that's low in sodium or fat or designed for people with diabetes, it may be necessary to put those restrictions aside for a while. You'll want to allow for more variety so that you can increase your chances of getting adequate nutrition. Check with your doctor to make sure it's all right to relax your dietary restrictions.

Here are some suggestions for selecting and preparing foods. Experiment with these ideas until you find combinations that appeal to you.

Note: If your mouth or throat is sore, avoid spices, acidic foods, and hot foods or beverages, which may be irritating.
If food lacks flavor

Try different sauces, marinades, seasonings and other ingredients. These can help perk up the taste of food.

While cooking, add:

Barbecue sauce
Extracts or other flavorings
Ketchup
Meat marinades
Mustards
Soy sauce
Spices and herbs
Teriyaki sauce
Vinegar
Wine

Other suggestions to add flavor include:

Bacon bits
Chopped green or red bell peppers
Chopped onion or garlic
Ham strips
Nuts
Cheese, especially sharp cheese, such as sharp cheddar

Try:

Sugar or syrup on your food. On your cereal, try brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, dates or raisins instead of white sugar.
Salty foods. In addition, salty foods such as cured meats, cheeses and snack chips may have more taste.

If food tastes too sweet

Tone down overly sweet foods:

Add a little salt or lemon juice.
Add plain yogurt, buttermilk, instant coffee powder or extra milk to milkshakes, instant beverage mixes or commercially prepared nutritional drinks.

Try foods that are less sweet:

Drink beverages such as diluted fruit juice, milk, buttermilk, lemonade, ginger ale or sports drinks.
Choose less-sweet-tasting desserts, such as yogurt, custard, pumpkin pie, fruit, baked fruit, fruit with cottage cheese, fruit crumble, plain doughnuts, or graham crackers.

In place of sweet snacks, choose other foods:

Cheese
Chips or pretzels with dip
Cottage cheese
Crackers and cheese
Deviled eggs
Nuts
Peanut butter

If syrup, jam or sugar tastes too sweet, try butter or margarine on cooked cereal, toast and pancakes.

continued:
Eating during cancer treatment: Tips to make food tastier
If food tastes too salty

A little sugar may tone down the saltiness of some foods. Cook foods without adding salt or seasonings containing salt. Avoid processed foods that contain a lot of sodium. Look for products labeled reduced sodium or low sodium. Try bland, mild-flavored foods.
If meat doesn't taste right

If the meat is fresh and cooked properly, but it just doesn't taste right, serve other foods that contain protein, such as:

Beans or peas in soups, salads or side dishes or as a dip or spread
Cheese
Cottage cheese
Custard
Egg dishes
Eggnog
Fish — fresh, frozen or packed in a vacuum-sealed pouch, as canned fish can have a metallic taste
Instant breakfast-type drinks or other nutritional beverages
Lentils
Macaroni and cheese
Malts
Milkshakes
Nuts
Peanut butter
Poultry
Pudding
Quinoa
Tofu or tempeh
Yogurt

Other suggestions for meat:

Try meat prepared in combination with other foods, such as chili, lasagna, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, stews or hearty soups.
Try sauces, ketchup and other seasonings, which may improve the flavor.
Try marinating meat, chicken or fish in marinades, soy sauce, sweet fruit juices, wine or Italian-style dressings.
Try salty, spicy or smoked meats, such as seasoned beef steaks, pork loins, ham, sausage or cold cuts.
Try high-protein foods that may taste better cold or at room temperature. Examples include cheese or cottage cheese plates; macaroni salads with shrimp, ham or cheese; tuna, egg, ham or chicken salad; cold meat or luncheon meat sandwiches; or cold salmon.

If your cancer treatment has weakened your immune system, some of these foods may not be safe for you. Practice food safety by keeping foods at safe temperatures. Don't let perishable foods sit out for more than an hour. Avoid unpasteurized juice, cheese or milk, and raw or undercooked meats.
General suggestions

Foods that look appealing often taste better.
Select foods with a variety of colors, temperatures and textures.
Drink liquids often or use gum, mints or hard candies to remove a bad taste in your mouth.
Try using plastic utensils if you have a bitter or metallic taste in your mouth when eating.
Check with your dentist to see if you have any dental problems. Maintain good oral hygiene.
Check with your doctor to see if your taste changes could be related to your medications. In some cases, your doctor may adjust your medications to reduce or eliminate side effects. Don't stop taking your medications unless your doctor tells you to.
Check with a health care professional about mouth rinses.

If these measures don't help, or if you're losing weight, ask your doctor or a registered dietitian for further advice.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cancer/HQ01135

I know this will be hard for all of you... just love, love and love... and try to keep PaPa as comfortable as possible sweet girl.

Izzie

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:26 pm
This one has a kinda book... scroll along to click next for more information....

Eating Hints: Before, During, and After Cancer Treatment

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/eatinghints

there is a full pdf here - THIS IS EXCELLENT, worth a read... very informative...

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/eatinghints.pdf
Izzie

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:27 pm
@Izzie,
Hugs to you Missy, PaPa and MaMa...

in my thoughts and prayers... love you Dixie x
mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:16 pm
@Izzie,
Love you Izzie. So much
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:16 pm
@Izzie,
Love you Izzie. So much
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:13 am
@Izzie,
Quote:
Taggers - hope the Cabin Boy's choral lunch went very well - I'm sure it will have - well done FiB.x Did you see the nipper and his bride this Crimbo or are they Hogmanaying Oop North?

Pretty good at the hospital, yes. The carol concert in the auditorium went okay, but better was later when they went down to the entrance area and had an impromptu sing there.
I sat at a table to one side (open plan, cafe area) and watched the faces of the people arriving...surprise and pleasure, big smiles, some shyness. Good to see.

I took the lovebirds to the train, they are in Edinburgh till the 3rd. Hogmanay north of the border is a must.

Big festive hugs to every yabberer, and kisses to a select few.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:13 pm
@Izzie,
Hiya McT! Good to see you!

IZZIE - I missed that huge thing you put about eating. Hugely helpful...sometimes looking at this website by phone I miss all kinds of things. SO awesome. I forwarded it to my brother who is printing it out and giving it to mom.

Thank you sweety!

I talked to Dad this morning. He is not doing well. He seems to be a little - off - kind of not all there. Mom said he halucinated much of the night. They think it was the finergan which was given to help lessen the nausea. I immediately called a friend whose dad had this B cell Lymphoma and she said her dad was the same way. Very discombobulated and only slept the first week. Could hardly talk he was so tired. So that comforted me - because her dad is all better now. And he is older as well.

I am doing my best to be positive and not worry. But the food helps was just perfect Iz.
Hugs you all!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 01:29 am
@Izzie,
I just honestly want to wish everyone the best 2013 after so much hurt, stupid rib Smile Problems and new operations, illnesses, sickness from food , floods it's just all has to be 2012 not 2013..

I pray that everyone has good news in 2013, Izzie, my little wabbit died the day after Xmas so not really, all are part of my "children" ... as is my "children across the world 4 of them, from different Countries 3 girls 1 boy all grown up now Smile .... But, alas, that is the least of things.. Best life ever bunny.

BEST WISHES TO ALL, I am sending witchy hugs and vibes for better outcomes for you all for 2013.... May past be past and present be present and a brighter happier future, with much prayers.

Danny .... ya be smart, you know you are going to bright and fast, got to learn to run from you, after your recovery after the 10th Wink

nothingtodo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 01:52 am
A planet looks blue somewhere in the universe and below it sits a few who do not see the curse of red and black merged to sweeping black rose beauty which safely knows salvation but endures until choosing the truth which sets free the future as daunting to many as that may be it hurts only briefly then silence is the answer of that which seeks to flow into the void of all thoughts end never ending in a flowing satin world of seasonal tsunami future... Waves crash on the shores of tomorrow and remaining all are still that who they were.

Hate the darkness
embrace the light
hide the truth
or accept the night
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 02:42 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Hi all, house empty, son and family left for home today. Was a wonderful week to have them here but time went all to quickly.

Dear mismi hope things will turn out ok with your father, medication can do wonders these days. Hope you can cope. (((mismi)))

Found Soul already have you in my sight and I shall pounce when the time is right. Wink Thanks for the witchy hugs, needed them.

Izzie did FlavourQueen make it through all the rain and will be with you on New Years Eve?

Waves from downunder to the crew.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 07:16 am
I've just been greeted with the sight of a dead pigeon on the doorstep and feathers everywhere. That's cats for you.
mismi

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
Love the kitties and their gifts. Very Happy

Thank you Dear Dutchy.

I do believe that sis and the girls made it there safe and sound.

Talked to mom this morning and dad is making sense and even made his own coffee. That is very encouraging!

Hugs to you all!
Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:06 am
For those near and far as Mis Iz would say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YHuwZojuM

change those lyrics to read "..in the end of 2012.." Razz

but the message still seems true, unfortunately
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 06:44 pm
Oops, wrong song, yawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw1vvGYHQBw
Dutchy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:15 am
@Letty,
Time to uncork the Champagne, the clock is about to hit midnight and 2013 will begin. From behind the Black Stump, Downunder, Dutchy wishes all crew members a Happy and Prosperous New Year, may all your wishes and hopes come true in 2013. Cheers Drunk
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 06:25 am

"Hogmanay (Scots: [ˌhʌɡməˈneː], HUG-mə-NAY, Scottish English: [ˌhɔɡməˈneː] HOG-mə-NAY) is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner. It is, however, normally only the start of a celebration which lasts through the night until the morning of New Year's Day (1 January) or, in some cases, 2 January which is a Scottish Bank Holiday.
The etymology of the word is obscure. The three main theories derive it either from a French, Norse or a Goidelic root. The word is first recorded in 1604 in the Elgin Records as hagmonay (delatit to haue been singand hagmonayis on Satirday) and again in 1692 in an entry of the Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence It is ordinary among some plebeians in the South of Scotland to go about from door to door upon New-years Eve, crying Hagmane.[1]"

From this plebeian, Hagmane! to everybody.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:01 am
HAPPY NEW YEAR DOWN UNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All arrived safely - Roger Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUSTER STATIONS.............................OMGAWSH - THE.RIVER.IS.SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.HIGH <row row row yer boat>

Bro just called from 'far away' - it was so good to speak with him and hear the Lobster of Loveliness' happy voice - we did party poppers on the phone and got on speakerphone telling him how much we love and miss him <sigh> and wishing him a Happy New Year

gotta go and batten down the hatches - everyones gone oot for a few hours to the movies and shopshopshopping so I'm clearing the decks and getting the RIBs ready <pass the lifejackets and balloon pump> Wink Mr. Green

Full speed ahead for 2013

them that be near and far in my heart... love and miss you too this New Years ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.12 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:26:16