Randy Quaid banned for life

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:23 pm
By Brenda Jones
Feb 10, 2008

Randy Quaid has been banned for life. The actor has been accused of all sorts of strange behavior and as a result the Actors' Equity Association has taken the action. According to a report from the New York Post, "All 26 members of the "Lone Star Love" cast brought Randy up on charges with Actors' Equity Association.

Randy Quaid Behavior Gets Him Banned for Life (Image: Wenn)

The report claims that he "physically and verbally abused his fellow performers and that his oddball behavior onstage and off forced the show to close, thus depriving them of their jobs." According to the Post report, the union also handed down a fine of $81,572.

A five-member hearing committee in Los Angeles issued Equity's ruling, Quaid resigned from the union before the Jan. 25 hearing. But sources say he's still liable for the fine since he was a member of the union during the show's run.

Reacting to Equity's decision, Quaid said, "I am guilty of only one thing: Giving a performance that elicited a response so deeply felt by the actors and producers with little experience of my creative process that they actually think I am Falstaff."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,515 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:30 pm
Certainly actors in the past have thrown productions into spiralling destruction, but from here I've no idea of the history of this kind of action or of this particular action's merits.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:48 pm
So what did he do?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:50 pm
That's all the information I've got. I was saddeed that it happened, as I have enjoyed many of Quaid's roles on film.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:55 pm
Seems he was quite the dream to work with.....

Quote:

Photograph of Randy Quaid with Long Star Love co-stars by May Parton

If the would-be Broadway-bound musical Lone Star Love is half as entertaining as the backstage drama, then sign us up: Randy Quaid, the show's former star, has been banned from the Actors' Equity union for life because of abusive, lewd and just plain crazy behavior during the show's Seattle run. Quaid has also been fined $81,572, which equals two weeks pay for the cast of the $6.5 million show; producers claim they had to prematurely close because of Quaid's hi jinks. The Post's Michael Riedel got the rap sheet:

Quaid hit an actor on the back of the head four times during performances. When the stage manager told him to stop, he smacked the actor again.
Another actor was warned that if he made direct eye contact with Quaid onstage, he'd be fired.
Quaid made "sexually inappropriate" comments onstage, repeatedly referring to an actress' musical instruments as her "gynecological instruments."
The couple tried to rewrite the script, to eliminate characters.
Randy "felt free" to change blocking, lyrics and lines during performances, and repeatedly failed to show up for note sessions and rehearsals.
Quaid says the actors are part of a "pinko-commie organization" trying to destroy him. And it gets even better: Sources tell TMZ that Quaid's wife Evi turned up at the Equity hearing for Quaid and "berated several Equity staff members, including a 76-year-old receptionist whom she allegedly kicked in the shins, drawing blood." Evi says Equity staffers broke her finger while trying to bar her from the meeting; others say she was a screaming lunatic raving about a "Nazi plot" against her husband. (Are they commies or Nazis? Try to stay on message, Quaids.)

Riedel also hears that Evi e-mailed several actors in Lone Star Love, threatening to sue them unless they dropped the charges: "You have one last chance to stop this onerous campaign or else you will be drawn into a legal quagmire." And she's even been on a calling campaign against the Commie Nazis; one actor reports trying to end an angry telephone harangue from Evi by saying, "I'd like to terminate this call." Evi allegedly responded, "I'd like to terminate your existence on this planet."

By the way, the couple's roots are in Broadway, so to speak - they met while Quaid was filming The Bloodhounds of Broadway (Evi was his driver).

Source
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:44 am
http://gothamist.com/2008/02/08/randy_quaids_la.php
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:25 am
I guess living in the airstream trailer in Nevada at that nuclear test site with all those kids finally drove him over the edge...

Will he now have to move in with Clark permanently? Is he on the skids totally?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:51 am
I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:51 am
Because nothing helps your hamburger taste like **** quite as much..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:36 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Because nothing helps your hamburger taste like **** quite as much..

Isn't that what gave you the trots for a couple of days?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:41 pm
it was tuna helper

same ****, different box
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:55 pm
Chai, pick a number between 1 and 10... and try the rice pudding.... it's especially runny today...
0 Replies

From Shinola

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:18 pm
Quaid's banishment dates back to an incident he was involved in while filming the movie, "National Lampoon's Las Vegas Vacation." The incident? Filming "National Lampoon's Las Vegas Vacation."
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:10 pm
Does that mean no more National Lampoon vacations?? sad
0 Replies

CoriCori

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 12:04 pm
tommrr wrote:
Seems he was quite the dream to work with.....

Quote:

Photograph of Randy Quaid with Long Star Love co-stars by May Parton

If the would-be Broadway-bound musical Lone Star Love is half as entertaining as the backstage drama, then sign us up: Randy Quaid, the show's former star, has been banned from the Actors' Equity union for life because of abusive, lewd and just plain crazy behavior during the show's Seattle run. Quaid has also been fined $81,572, which equals two weeks pay for the cast of the $6.5 million show; producers claim they had to prematurely close because of Quaid's hi jinks. The Post's Michael Riedel got the rap sheet:

Quaid hit an actor on the back of the head four times during performances. When the stage manager told him to stop, he smacked the actor again.
Another actor was warned that if he made direct eye contact with Quaid onstage, he'd be fired.
Quaid made "sexually inappropriate" comments onstage, repeatedly referring to an actress' musical instruments as her "gynecological instruments."
The couple tried to rewrite the script, to eliminate characters.
Randy "felt free" to change blocking, lyrics and lines during performances, and repeatedly failed to show up for note sessions and rehearsals.
Quaid says the actors are part of a "pinko-commie organization" trying to destroy him. And it gets even better: Sources tell TMZ that Quaid's wife Evi turned up at the Equity hearing for Quaid and "berated several Equity staff members, including a 76-year-old receptionist whom she allegedly kicked in the shins, drawing blood." Evi says Equity staffers broke her finger while trying to bar her from the meeting; others say she was a screaming lunatic raving about a "Nazi plot" against her husband. (Are they commies or Nazis? Try to stay on message, Quaids.)

Riedel also hears that Evi e-mailed several actors in Lone Star Love, threatening to sue them unless they dropped the charges: "You have one last chance to stop this onerous campaign or else you will be drawn into a legal quagmire." And she's even been on a calling campaign against the Commie Nazis; one actor reports trying to end an angry telephone harangue from Evi by saying, "I'd like to terminate this call." Evi allegedly responded, "I'd like to terminate your existence on this planet."

By the way, the couple's roots are in Broadway, so to speak - they met while Quaid was filming The Bloodhounds of Broadway (Evi was his driver).

Source

OMG!!! Shocked
0 Replies

Gracielynn

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 01:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
It is so sad there is no compassion for the mentally ill! He obviously needs serious help. This is a catch 22; those who need help are the last ones to realize it. Their paranoia makes them think those who are trying to help them are trying to harm them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 01:55 pm
He was in the news again for trouble when he tried to get into Canada. Isn't he in jail in NYS right now?
panzade

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I bet Canada is breathing a sigh of relief.
0 Replies