95 FIREBIRD TROUBLES

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:36 pm
Hello I have a 95 Firebird. Recently on one day to work I noticed that my heat wasn't working and that my temperature gauge was going from ok all the way to the red line and it sometimes stays there and other times it fluctuates back and forth. Also it looked like I was losing coolant, so got some more and Also now my car is shaking really bad (mostly when idling)and there is smoke coming from the tailpipe and by the time I got home from driving it for 10 min. you could literally hear the coolant bubbling while the temperature stayed at hot and smoke was coming out and no heat.. ANY idea(s) what it is?? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:45 pm
Re: 95 FIREBIRD TROUBLES
camelknuckles wrote:
ANY idea(s) what it is?? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Take your firebird to a service center before you stuff it up any more. (its prolly "kangaroo jims brother" already).

Thermostat, water pump, clogged radiator who knows.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:18 am
My from way out here guess is you have air in the cooling system. (from a leak, BTW) You will need to slowly fill and "burp" the radiator while the motor is running.

Not to say you have no other troubles, but this is the first one...

RH
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:25 am
Another possibility is a leaky head gasket. The combustion gases can then over-pressurize & overheat the cooling system, thus forcing coolant into the over-flow bottle, and when full, out onto the long and winding roads of America.

A new thermostat & new rad cap, then a rad flush and rad pressure test would be a good start.

Given that the engine has over-heated, and the head gasket may be leaking as discussed, maybe a combustion chamber leak-down test is in order too.
0 Replies