smoke alarm

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
Two years ago I had a smoke alarm installed that was properly 'wired in' by an electrician because I didn't want the hassle of having to replace batteries.
Now the 'wired in' smoke alarm is carrying on like it has flat batteries and started 'beeping' loudly this morning (Sunday) before 6AM, and now I'm wide awake and can't phone an electrician because it is Sunday. Is it normal for an electrically wired-in smoke alarm to beep like it would do only if it had flat batteries? The way it is going now, I won't be able to get to sleep tonight unless I turn off the electricity at the fuse box. That will turn off the fridge and freezer. I can't see any other alternative until Monday when I can get in touch with an electrician unless someone else has a suggestion for me. Any advice is always appreciated. V.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:50 pm
Why not call your fire department--on the non-emergency line?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:52 pm
Change the friggin' battery.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:53 pm
(many have a battery back-up)
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 03:01 pm
re smoke alarm
Thanks, I didn't know that the wired-in smoke alarm would have a battery.
Why would anyone go to the expense of getting a wired-in smoke alarm installed if it had batteries?
I might as well have just installed a "do-it-yourself" one and saved on the expense of a ruddy electrician.
It's true what they say about learning something new everyday. Rolling Eyes I feel a real twit now. V.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 03:19 pm
Think of power outages.
0 Replies