Pizza and its Cover Story

mac11

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:56 am
Wow, those recipes sound great, osso. You're a much more ambitious cook than I am though!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
A fool in the kitchen knows no bounds...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:40 pm
Update on the results ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 09:52 pm
Well, it'll take time for me to finish my roll of film, go to Walgreens for a cd, etc. When we've all forgotten this thread...

The non burned ones were good, but I learned a lot. I'd add fractionally more mozzarella than 1/3 cup, maybe even a half cup, or somewhere inbetween. I'd try to get those ovals more uniform than I did. I wouldn't make 7 calzoni again from the recipe, but 6. Counter space and rolling pin space was a problem - I'd organize myself more smartly ahead of time... I ended up flouring the tile counter to get room. I'd use a smaller brush to put the egg/water mixture around the edge.. the tomatoes not being wet, very important.

I'd add that garlic, used in the recipe to make garlicky olive oil, to the pile of stuff in the calzone.

But basically it's an easy recipe, especially if the dough is made ahead, and amenable to much variation. And the whole effort is rather pretty...
the seven oval discs of dough with the clump of goodies in the center, before folding - it looked nice and "cheffy", at least until I near mutilated the little dears while pinching the edges.

I probably should have had a mellow glass of wine while calzoning. Had bourbon on ice as a reward when I finished.

So now I've made both one of the sfinciuni recipes and a calzone recipe.
Hard to compare, but, at my present low level of competence, the sfinciuni won for ease and tastiness (the one with onions, tomatoes, mashed up anchovies, back on page 1).
Niecy51

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:07 am
@ossobuco,
My Mother was of Sicilian decent and my father from Nothern Italia.My Mother always made Sfinciuni but stuffed it with an Italian Sausage,onion and Spinach filling..Usually no Tomato sauce, but you can dribble a little(Key Word) A LITTLE..I add some shreaded Mozzerella cheese and Parmesan-Romano..No other Pizza comes close to the wonderful flavors of this pizza..YUMMY..Just made some last night.
0 Replies

Niecy51

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:08 am
@ossobuco,
Being of 100% Italian Decent (mother Sicilian) I am very familiar with sfinciuni..My late Mother used to make this often for our family..She filled it with Sweet Italian Sausage,Onion and Spinach..and during Lent or Fish days, she would substitute Sausage for Tuna..and the Spinach for Broccoli...You Can Add a Small amt of sauce but this is not really a Tomato sauce Pizza..But no taste is quite as flavorful as this form of Pizza..YUMMY...I do add some shreaded Mozzerella,Romano cheese to mine..Gives a little kick..Experiment with Mushroom and other things and make it your own
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:02 am
@Niecy51,
Hi, Niecy, welcome to a2k. I'll try that with sweet sausage, onion, and spinach. I'm also going to try the one on page one with the onions tomatoes and anchovies, as that was still really good in memory.

Did your mother use two layers of dough, or only one as a bottom layer?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:34 pm
Pizza.........pizza.
Thick, thin, hand tossed, scicilian, deep dish, folded calzone, stromboli, vegetarian, meat lovers, hot, cold...a day old.
No knife and fork, no matter how deep the dish is. Piping hot cheese, wrapping around your chin.
I once missed a train, on the count of a pizza pie.
Hand cut homemade pepperonis. Curled up, with a slightly burnt perimeter.
I've been known to order extra anchovies to dissuade others from touching my pie.
About three years ago, a local newspaper printed the top twenty five pizzas in Michigan. Four more to go.
Pizza.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:20 pm
@alex240101,
Well, there's a tribute!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:59 am
@ossobuco,
Speaking about pizza ... and travels to Italy: in today's Independent

http://i38.tinypic.com/10pwmxc.jpg

Pizza with more pizzaz: Puglia is a food-lover's paradise

Quote:
I really wanted to learn how to cook a pizza, but I suppose I'd already learnt that the trickiest thing about cooking is assembling the right ingredients, which is probably why no one ever cooks anything they see being prepared on television. You need the right gear, too, and that means a pizza oven. Ever since I got home, I've been dreaming of building one.

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:35 pm
when we stayed in rome for a few days some years ago we had a pizza in a workmen's "cafe" at lunch time . it was certainly not the overstuffed kind of pizza we know in north-america . it was a simple dough with tomatoe-sauce - quite tasty but nothing special .
similarly when we had lasagna at our hotel (the renowned "palace" hotel) , it was really quite a simple dish : pasta , some cheese and tomatoes . again , it was a simple and tasty dish but not overstuffed with all kinds of "ingredients" .
when our neighnour "tony" makes pizza for our annual neighbourhood gathering , it's really a very simple dish : one "plain" pizza - and it is plain - and one with a few slices of pepperoni-style sausage added .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Well, it'll take time for me to finish my roll of film, go to Walgreens for a cd, etc. When we've all forgotten this thread...

exactly how many photos are on this roll of film?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Ha, I saw those photos somewhere...

I want to go to Apulia.... sigh.

0 Replies