Categories Are Meaningful: Pro-Choice or Pro-Life

hanno

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:46 pm
real life wrote:
hanno wrote:
I could see where it would depend on the womans intentions or lack there of to give birth, and that either way calling it two is a valid generalization.

But if mommy decides to end it, I mean, if a bum needed some of my blood to live and I said no, who could blame me? Just because the symbiotic relationship is part of a woman's traditional role in society I don't see why it's so sacred. I find the whole thing insensitive toward bums. And that's worst case scenario, person vs. person, whereas unless there's a little mysticism in your thinking, there's got to be a point before which the abortee is not a person...

OK, so the mandatory abortion thing I said was mainly rhetorical - but with unfit mothers, and birth defects, and overpopulation, you get my drift, if someone choses abortion why argue?

Taking a passive attitude toward assisting a stranger (a bum) ..............

.........and taking active measures to slice the body of the unborn limb from limb with a scalpel and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner ......

........................are two different things.

Do you understand the difference between active and passive?

Ah, so that's junior's turf in there. Castle doctrine for the reproductive system. But what if a bum somehow took up residence in my nutsack? Even if he's an innocent bum and just materialized there. Do I owe him something?

real life wrote:
But the real question, as you touched upon it, is:

EXACTLY when does the unborn become a person?

Do you know?

Yeah, sure, whenever mommy could take a jumbo dose of Pitocin and have whatever comes out breath. But that in itself is subject to mommy's whims, the dear woman might smoke cigars and inhale, decide not to change her act just cuz she's pregnant.

real life wrote:
If not, doesn't it make sense to allow the benefit of the doubt, rather than recklessly going forward and exterminating (what even you admit) could be a human life?

Forget mysticism. If man has no 'spirit' or 'soul' , then the body is all there is, right?

On that basis, the unborn is as human as he is ever going to be.

Why is it human 'if mommy decides she wants it' and NOT human 'if mommy decides she doesn't want it' ?

The attitude of the woman cannot be a rational basis for deciding if one is a living human being or not.

Yep, attitude of the woman doesn't matter - they create life and do alright in the workplace, but they're irrational, carnal, emotional creatures, prone to nervous disorders, and bearing the weight of Original Sin. The whole things in mommy's hands whether you like it or not, what do you want, to declare eminent domain on the uterus? The woman should at least get paid off for services rendered to the little citizen.

Here's how Libertarianism relates, just because people get raped/killed/murdered does not give the G the right to tell someone what to do or not do with their uterus. In fact I see it as an indicator that given uterus-control, the G would just manage to screw up anyway.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:25 pm
Hanno,

You are no doubt aware that in many states you can be charged with murder of an unborn child.

from http://www.kmbc.com/news/15226792/detail.html
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Three murder charges were filed Tuesday against Andrew Guerrero in the deaths of his ex-wife, her daughter and her unborn child.

But you say it's up to mom if it's a person or not.

So, here's the scene. Mom and unborn are shot and killed, and it is not known whether mom comtemplated or intended to abort or not. She never said she was thinking about it, but maybe she did.

Should the murder charge be applied for the death of the unborn?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another scenario. Mom goes in for an abortion, but it fails and the baby is born alive, but handicapped.

Now it's a living person, even by your definition.

Does the living child have any recourse or deserve any compensation for the damages suffered (and TO BE suffered for the rest of his/her life) ?

If you think this doesn't happen, it does.

I can show you testimony from abortion survivors

Quote:
Ana Rosa Rodriguez
Look at the picture of Ana Rosa Rodriguez on the left. At first glance, she might look like an average little girl to you. However, if you look closely, you'll notice that this child is missing her right arm. That's because her arm was ripped off in the process of an abortion on New York's Lower East Side in October of 1991. Ana Rosa was 32 weeks old at the time of the abortion. It was performed by legal abortionist Abu Hayat. Rosa, Ana Rosa's mother (who was only 20 years old at the time), had told Hayat that she had changed her mind and didn't want to go through with the abortion.

"He said that it was impossible to stop, that I had to continue," Rosa told New York Newsday. According to Rosa, Hayat's assistants held her down while he sedated her. When she awoke, she was told that the abortion was incomplete and that she should come back the following day. That evening, however, she experienced increasing pain and bleeding. Her mother took her to Jamaica Hospital by taxi, where, five hours later, baby Ana Rosa was born. Aside from the loss of her right arm, Ana Rosa is a perfectly healthy little girl.

As unfortunate as the maiming of Ana Rosa was, she and her mother are very lucky they escaped from Hayat without further injury. Other incidents Hayat, a member of the National Abortion Federation, was involved in:

* On September 18, 1990, Hayat performed an abortion on 17 year old Sophie McCoy. The next day she was taken to a hospital and found to have a perforated uterus and sepsis. An emergency hysterectomy was performed, but Sophie developed disseminated intravascular coagulopahty and died on September 26. Sophie's mother found paperwork for Hayat's facility in Sophie's coat pocket. The case was reported to the district attorney and the New York Health Department, but nobody took any action against Hayat
* In March 1991, Hayat refused to complete an abortion on Marie Moise after he demanded an additional payment of $500 in the middle of the abortion and Moise's husband could not pay the $500. He forced the woman to leave the clinic bleeding and with an incomplete abortion. She nearly died from the resulting infection.
* There have been several allegations accusing Hayat of sexually assaulting/fondling his abortion patients.

Even though all of the above happened before Ana Rosa's brush with Hayat, these previous incidents were not considered "serious enough" by New York authorities to take any action against Hayat. The maiming of Ana Rosa may have also gone ignored except that it drew intense media scrutiny. When news broke of Hayat's arrest in connection with the assault on Ana Rosa, at least seven women called a police hotline to claim he had also botched their abortions.
from http://joseromia.tripod.com/survivors.html

Quote:
from http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/abortion/ab0107.htm
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:30 pm
real life wrote:
Hanno,

You are no doubt aware that in many states you can be charged with murder of an unborn child.

from http://www.kmbc.com/news/15226792/detail.html
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Three murder charges were filed Tuesday against Andrew Guerrero in the deaths of his ex-wife, her daughter and her unborn child.

But you say it's up to mom if it's a person or not.

So, here's the scene. Mom and unborn are shot and killed, and it is not known whether mom comtemplated or intended to abort or not. She never said she was thinking about it, but maybe she did.

Should the murder charge be applied for the death of the unborn?

Well, like I said, I could see it being a valid generalization. Someone dings my car, it doesn't matter if I was going to get it painted another color the next day anyway, they bought the ticket. I mean, OJ got lost the wrongful death suit - if you're going to do someone in there's no limit to the liability you assume.

real life wrote:

Here's another scenario. Mom goes in for an abortion, but it fails and the baby is born alive, but handicapped.

Now it's a living person, even by your definition.

Does the living child have any recourse or deserve any compensation for the damages suffered (and TO BE suffered for the rest of his/her life) ?

If you think this doesn't happen, it does.

I can show you testimony from abortion survivors

I know it has happened, heart surgeries go bad too. Dr. Hayat would have made a crappy department store clerk. I'd say mommy is in her rights just deciding what time it is and seeking professional help. The doctor, yeah, I could see there being liability. So if he screws up, and the candidate draws a silent breath before the doctor slits its spine to save himself? I could see requiring witnesses, taping, etc. I'm kind of a fan of the patient's bill of rights.

As for the second account - mumbo jumbo. I believe it more or less happened, but to a non-believer, what's the point? The mother said time's up - she was behind the eight-ball to start - it happens to people and non-people. You weigh 2 lbs, don't have a full set of organs, are non sapient, are sharing a bloodstream, and the owner of that bloodstream says no way - what can be done? Like I said before, extend the rule of law up a ladies skirt?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:37 am
If the unborn is not a person, how can a shooter be charged with two murders for mom AND the baby?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
real life wrote:
If the unborn is not a person, how can a shooter be charged with two murders for mom AND the baby?

This is only possible in some jurisdictions. In others, for example the United Kingdom, it is not. An unborn child has no legal personality, and a foetus has no recognisable right at law unless it is born alive. Once born alive it can apply retrospective rights for criminal or civil wrong.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 05:24 pm
contrex wrote:
real life wrote:

This is only possible in some jurisdictions. In others, for example the United Kingdom, it is not. An unborn child has no legal personality, and a foetus has no recognisable right at law unless it is born alive. Once born alive it can apply retrospective rights for criminal or civil wrong.

How can it be 'wronged' if it was not a person at the time of the deed?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:58 pm
real life wrote:

They could charge him with molesting the endangered state reptile if they had a mind to.

This is the problem with the superstitious, they see something bigger, in a sense, than themselves and it's either Satan or God's irreproachable left nut. I'm all about Kansas, but barely a quarter goes by some senator or religious leader doesn't get caught working the glory holes at a truck plaza, so what can we prove with some states law as a starting point? The law is a human construct that tries to get it right. It's a tool that works better when it imitates an ideal and if we're lucky might serve one or has one as it's basis. How can OJ be liable for wrongful death if he didn't kill the ho'?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:54 pm
It's interesting that humans must create abstract categories, sets, and classes in order to deal with the world of "things". We must group them into categories in terms of similarities and differences. This is necessary for everyday life and for scientific investigation, but when we wish to determine philosophical matters, like when does life or personhood begin, we find our efforts blocked by abstract categories that obstruct our access to concrete realities.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 12:30 am
JLNobody wrote:
It's interesting that humans must create abstract categories, sets, and classes in order to deal with the world of "things". We must group them into categories in terms of similarities and differences. This is necessary for everyday life and for scientific investigation, but when we wish to determine philosophical matters, like when does life or personhood begin, we find our efforts blocked by abstract categories that obstruct our access to concrete realities.

I would think that the question 'when does life begin?' to be a medical/biological question, not a philosophical one.

As for 'when does personhood begin?' , all I ask is for consistency.

If one can be charged with murder of an unborn 'person' for shooting his mother and thus causing the unborn's death in the process, then any other effort to kill this person should be looked at in the same manner, shouldn't it?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:52 am
real life wrote:

Because Parliament has decided to have it that way. If you don't like it, don't come and live in Britain. It is a person once it has been born, and if it has been e.g. disabled because of medical negligence during its gestation or delivery it is only common sense that it should, via its parents, be able to sue.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:23 pm
contrex wrote:
real life wrote:

Because Parliament has decided to have it that way. If you don't like it, don't come and live in Britain. It is a person once it has been born, and if it has been e.g. disabled because of medical negligence during its gestation or delivery it is only common sense that it should, via its parents, be able to sue.

But if it wasn't a person at the time (during gestation, i.e. before birth) of the deed ( the alleged negligence , etc ) , then why is the doc liable for damages? He injured 'nobody'.

You see, you can't have it both ways.

It can't be 'not a person' if it is aborted and 'a person (during the same time frame)' if it survives the abortion and is subsequently born.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:45 pm
I don't mean to make a deal out of this as much will be passed in the morning, but I fell, a bit ago, and landed with my bum on the tile.

I've been wailing. Will shut up on that tomorrow.

Interestingly, I wasn't inebrieated in the lurching. Maybe I should have been.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:50 pm
and I beg all your pardons, I posted on the wrong thread.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:22 pm
Real Life, in response to your: "I would think that the question 'when does life begin?' to be a medical/biological question, not a philosophical one", I would suggest that like most natural--including biological/medical--processes it is a matter of a continuum: life forms gradually rather than suddenly. There is no quantum jump from non-life to life, at least not in a gross sense of moving from one absolute category to another. And this more clearly applies to the question of when does personhood begin.
0 Replies