Your favorite ballet.

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:58 pm
Could you recommend some of your favorite ballets available on DVD?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,315 • Replies: 9
No top replies

pixiestardust

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 03:26 pm
My favourite is definately Romeo and Juliet, very powerful and amazing music, plus it's easy to follow, what kind of thing were you looking for though? If you do decide to go with Romeo and Juliet though make sure you get an original version
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:46 pm
Thanks, Pixiestardust. You're the only one to reply to this post. I guess ballet isn't too popular here.

I have Romeo and Juliet with Nuryev and Fonteyne and the Royal Ballet It's wonderful. I also have Cinderella with the Royal Ballet, and Antoinette Sibley. I can't get over that one. I think I've watched it 30 times. As you've probably guessed, I'm a Prokofiev fan.

I have been burned though. Mendelsoln's Midsummer Night's Dream is poorly framed, constantly jumping from good full body shots, to whole stage, and then top half body shots. It drives one nuts, and it's a shame because the music is wonderful, I think Mendelsoln's best.

Let me know any other ballets that you've watched on video or DVD.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:51 pm
I'm not sure if the work I like is available on DVD. I'll go poke around on Amazon.

I'm a fan of authentic recreations of the work of Lully and the like.

Not so much a fan of modern ballet. Modern dance such as Mark Morris/Danny Grossman/Robert Desrosiers - yes, modern ballet, no.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:56 pm
One of my favourite live performances of Lully was this production of Persee by Opera Atelier and Tafelmusik

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6930425
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:12 am
I have several favorites. At the top of the list if Balanchine's Tarantella. Sorry, but I don't know if it's available on DVD.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:48 am
Just about any by Tchaikovsky, and i can't think you'd have any problem getting Swan Lake or The Sleeping Beauty on DVD. The Nutcracker is rather obvious--if nothing else, you can find it among the christmas music.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 12:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:
One of my favourite live performances of Lully was this production of Persee by Opera Atelier and Tafelmusik

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6930425

Thanks, ehBeth. I don't know if I'm ready for Baroque ballet yet, but it's definitely something to look forward to.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 12:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
Just about any by Tchaikovsky, and i can't think you'd have any problem getting Swan Lake or The Sleeping Beauty on DVD. The Nutcracker is rather obvious--if nothing else, you can find it among the christmas music.

Thanks for your response, Setanta.
I actually have Swan Lake with the Royal Ballet and Anthony Dowel, but I haven't watched it yet. I wonder if you can offer suggestions as to any particular performances.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 12:19 pm
I bought Stravinsky's Petrouska and Firebird by the Kirov. Petrouska had a weird choreography with only a little actual dancing by the lead and astrangely costumed and masked ensemble representing the authorian bureaucracy opposing and eventually killing Petrouska who becomes a Christ figure. I guess it was a anti-Soviet protest, but not enough dance.

The Firebird had camera tricks and poor filming--feet cut off--so I didn't even watch it.
0 Replies