Super Bowl XLII

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:55 pm
i know how lucky we Bahstinians are to have these great teams.

it won't last forever, so i'm enjoying it for all it's worth...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:00 pm
I can related to the greatness of teams. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I'll be wearing my Jints T-shirt on Sunday (Lawrence Taylor, no. 56) and rooting for my hometeam.

(I can't bring myself to root against a team. Must be a character flaw.)

Bon chance, reg.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:13 pm
Me and Boita are teammates this week.

Pates choke and Eli gets his 15 minutes...

RH
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:22 pm
eli's coming???
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:27 pm
Quote:
Bon chance, reg.
thanx 'boida.

although a jet fan at the time, i did root for the jints when they won their 2 bowls way back when...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:31 pm
Ima save my spew fer closer to....

Pates are pretenders....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz2XaMoyUSM&feature=related

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:07 am
I look at this as a potato chip opportunity.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:29 am
yum!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:58 am
Party at Osso's House!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 12:13 pm
If the Patriots do make history, they should put an asterisk next to the record. They cheated in the beginning of the season. Bellichick even admitted that they cheated basically, although he pretended he just didn't interpret the rules correctly. What a crock.

LET'S GO CHEATERS! LET'S GO CHEATERS!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 12:23 pm
kickycan wrote:
If the Patriots do make history, they should put an asterisk next to the record. They cheated in the beginning of the season. Bellichick even admitted that they cheated basically, although he pretended he just didn't interpret the rules correctly. What a crock.

LET'S GO CHEATERS! LET'S GO CHEATERS!

Yeah, they really needed to cheat to beat the mighty Jets.
What a joke.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 12:31 pm
It doesn't matter whether they needed to in that case or not. How many other games had they cheated in before that point against teams that otherwise might have beaten them? The point is they cheated, they admitted they cheated, and therefore they will always be CHEATERS.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 01:57 pm
kickycan wrote:
It doesn't matter whether they needed to in that case or not. How many other games had they cheated in before that point against teams that otherwise might have beaten them? The point is they cheated, they admitted they cheated, and therefore they will always be CHEATERS.

Not that it's right....but the Jets COACH cheated then too. Do you think that just wasn't a policy he took with him to NY?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:00 pm
What? How did the Jets coach cheat? He was the cheatee, not the cheater.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:19 pm
Stop this silly argument.

The Patriots have played well enough on the field to win 18 games. They have shattered numerous records along the way from passing yards to points scored, etc. etc.

Looking only at talent... they have proven themselves to be the best team in football this year... and maybe the best team in football ever.

The little video incident does not take away from their play on the field-- the explosive offense with multiple threats, the stunningly good quarterback or the fact that they find a way to win even on their off days.

Kicky is a poopity head.

The Patriots are a great team on the verge of making history.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:35 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
maybe the best team in football ever.

I could pick at least three Steelers teams from the 70s that were better than this team.

I truly believe that the Steelers of the late 70s would have kicked their asses all over the field. There is nobody in the league now that has a defense even in the same league with that team, and their offense was loaded with hall-of-famers as well.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:42 pm
kickycan wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I could pick at least three Steelers teams from the 70s that were better than this team.

I truly believe that the Steelers of the late 70s would have kicked their asses all over the field. There is nobody in the league now that has a defense even in the same league with that team, and their offense was loaded with hall-of-famers as well.

Just curious. What is the best win-loss record that the Steelers have ever put up?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
kickycan wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

And it is a totally different league (salary cap, free agency).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Just curious. What is the best win-loss record that the Steelers have ever put up?

I don't know off-hand. Probably 14-2 or something like that. but I'll tell you this. That shouldn't be the main test for the title of greatest ever. Sure, that gets them a spot in the debate, but even the Miami Dolphins of '72, who also went undefeated, aren't considered to be even close to the greatest team ever by too many people outside Miami, and they were undefeated as well.

The Steelers beat much tougher teams on the way to their superbowls. I even think the Raiders and maybe even the Cowboys of the 70s could make a case against this team. They were all THAT close. How many GREAT teams are there out there now to compete with these guys?

Yes, they are great. But the greatest? They don't have the same level of competition that the Steelers had.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 03:08 pm
Are you crazy!

The 2007 Patriots had to go through the Cowboys, the Colts and the Steelers... all impressive teams with great records. Any of these teams could have beaten the Steelers from the 1970s.

These Patriots are undefeated in spite of a tough schedule with difficult teams.

The Steelers were pretty damn good in the 1970s.

The 2007 Patriots are a notch above anything the Steelers ever accomplished-- and, as maporsche points out, they got there in spite of the salary cap.
0 Replies