Personal References.

dant

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:19 pm
Hi Montana,

The thing about references is that people obviously don't use references on their application of people that hate or dislike them. A personal reference could be anyone, as far as your employer knows. Parents, siblings, etc. Even tho some say it can't be a relative, how would a prospective employer know? Maybe it sounds dishonest, but lots of people have personal references who are family members.

I have several condos I own and rent out, and believe me, I don't trust 'personal references' at all. One 20 yr old had his mom for a reference Smile Of couse she said he was great - she wanted him out of the house! She assured me he never partied Rolling Eyes

I do ask for employer references, work history, credit report--which tells me a lot more about a person than their best friend (always a personal refernce) could.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:22 pm
Phew! Maybe I'll stand a chance with just the job references then.

I don't see any reason for them to want more than that other than to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

My previous employers always had nothing but good things to say about me, so I'm good there. They can vouch for me that I got along with everyone and worked very hard.

I think that should be enough.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:26 pm
I know I could go the family route, but I would never ask anyone to lie for me, so that's out of the question.

I had an apartment building as well and I hear ya on the references. One girl I use to work with gave a friends name as a reference and put her own cell phone # on the application, where she ened up pretending to be her friend and gave herself her own reference Laughing

I don't even know why they still bother with the references because of this.
0 Replies

dant

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:37 pm
Laughing That's what I mean, it's a silly practice. When I had my own business years ago, my step daughters wanted me to give them a job reference - even though they had not worked for me. I said no. (The evil step mom eh?)

Unless the application says you can't use family as a personal ref, you're ok. I wouldn't lie, necessarily, but if you're having a hard time finding someone to use for a reference because you're isolated and an immigrant, you'll have to be....creative.

Have you seen the application yet? Maybe they don't require pers refs. I agree with you, though, that they are kinda stupid. I always used good friends for refs who - of course- had nothing but good things to say about me :wink: . Why would anyone use a person they didn't like and vice-versa for a pers ref? Is there anyone in your town, maybe someone at the grocery store or post office, or something like that, that you could use for a pers ref? Must be someone who's known you for those 7 years! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:08 am
The majority of jobs I've applied for always say no family for references, so I expect to see that.

Hell, I have the worst time asking a friend for a reference, never mind the guy down at the store Laughing

I'm really really bad about not wanting to burden people and I just can't help it Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:30 am
Montana wrote:
I think it sucks!

You go to work and your privacy is gone.

Gosh!

I am trying to think........perhaps when I was getting my first couple of jobs as a teenager I used personal references, but not since then. I have never been asked for personal references in my profession....but they ring referees, so they can ask about your social skills as an employee.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:41 am
I wish it was like that for all the jobs I apply for, but they always want those references. Personally, I don't think they should legally be able to ask for personal references because my personal life has nothing to do with my work life.

They'll just have to settle for no personal references and be satisfied with my excellent work history, or I move on.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:43 am
I know when I was in business and hiring employees, I never asked for personal references and only cared about job references from previous employers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:47 am
dlowan wrote:

I am trying to think........perhaps when I was getting my first couple of jobs as a teenager I used personal references, but not since then. I have never been asked for personal references in my profession....but they ring referees, so they can ask about your social skills as an employee.

I think it was the same with me: only the first couple of times I've been interviewed for a job, they wanted to have references.

Afterwards, they used 'their own references' to get infos about me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:53 am
My reseme is all ready without the personal references, so we'll see what happens. If they ask for personal references, I'll just tell them the truth and who knows, maybe they'll enjoy having someone that doesn't like to burden others.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:56 am
Like I said, it's labour work and I'm not gonna bug anyone for a **** job like that.

It's only temporary anyway, but I won't be telling them that part Cool

I know they'ed love to have me back at the lobster shop Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:07 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I think it was the same with me: only the first couple of times I've been interviewed for a job, they wanted to have references.

Afterwards, they used 'their own references' to get infos about me.

Not the same: Here, we provide names and contact details of three to four PROFESSIONAL referees, and the panel contact them by telephone to discuss you.

The questions can be very searching...but they don't contact people you do not name.....though the network tom-toms can be pretty active!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:14 am
My reseme has my entire employment history with all contact information, including phone #'s, so I always figured this should be enough.

Them wanting to talk to my friends is wrong, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:20 am
You can use me as a reference. I have done it for alot of people. I will PM you my info if you want.

Also I know some people that might be hiring in your area. It flexible hours.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:25 am
Thanks Amigo :-D

I'm gonna try and do it without the references because of my obvious issues with it, but if it comes down to me changing my mind, I'd certainly appreciate it.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 03:30 am
I have been working in HR for a while here in Germany. Here you usually have your complete employment history in your CV but hardly any of the CVs I saw had any phone numbers or names of people to contact. I have never seen any personal references.

Interesting.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 05:01 am
Over here and in the US they want names and phone #s for your last 3 employers and they contact (by phone), at least, your previous employer.
You also need to give 3 personal references from people you know (no family members) and they usually contact all 3 of those people.

When I applied for my previous job, they called me at work (not cool) to tell me they couldn't reach my personal references, but all my employment references (previous employers) were contacted and everything went great with them (nothing but awesome things to say), so they made themselves a thorn in my ass just because they were determined to talk with my friends (personal references) and that just pissed me off to no end.

Don't they get that most people work or have lives and can't be expected to sit around waiting for people to call for references?

It's so stupid!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 06:13 am
I agree. This is stupid. Professional references I can understand. But personal - like I am going to give you the name of somebody who does not like me...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:46 pm
Exactly! Professional references are a must, but anything concerning my personal life is none of their damn business!

I always felt this to be an invasion of peoples privacy and a form of control. I don't take too well to control in any form!

This makes me sooooo angry, to say the least!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:26 pm
I haven't read through all of the posts, so this may have been said...

All they need to know if you are trustworthy, competent, responsible. I bet a number of people here could attest to that...References are not hugely important part of the hiring process, they count for something in the eye of the employer, but I've always considered them to have a fair amount of wiggle room when it comes to who you assign as your reference.

Sure, make it someone in the company, but it doesn't have to be your direct supervisor.
0 Replies