Before getting into much detail here... Could I start this thread by saying, PLEASE H20_Man, Slussler, and Andy lets keep things on topic, and not turn this thread into a pissing match like every other thread on this topic seems to turn to? I respect all of you for your knowledge and experience, so let's please keep things civil in here.
Here's my dilemma:
Back in 99 I bought a Rainsoft Water System (biggest mistake of my life for several reasons, and yes we paid about 5500 for it). In any event, we moved to a new house back in 2002, and brought the water system with us. Fearing the disastrous customer service again from rainsoft I never called them from the new house to have it re-installed, and it has been sitting in my garage ever since.
Fast forward about 5-6 years to today... My wife desperately wants me to re-install the RainSoft system. I have ZERO interest in going back into Rainsofts database of customers. SO, I have the following questions:
1. Is it realistic to even expect for this system to work after sitting in a FLorida garage for about 6 years?
2. After reading multiple posts on here, if sounds as if I have the "obsolete" valve which wouldn;t be supported by them any more either?
3. Opinions on solutions? Should I toss this in the dump and start over? Should I just get a new valve and go from there? Should I try to set this one up as is, first?
4. Is there literature out there for understanding the timer on this thing? It's the "old school" dial version with all the "pins" you have to set... Ugh...
5. Thoughts on how feasible it is to setup something you can maintain YOURSELF? Without having to rely on service men with $50 /hour rates unless absolutely necessary.
In short, I want soft water... Having had it in our old house I truly know what a difference it DOES make. However, it seems like everything in this industry is a complete rip-off. People are scamming you left and right on service, sales, installation, etc. I have yet to see a single company out there that gets CONSISTENTLY good feedback. Very dissappointing indeed.
Any and all feedback appreciated.