0
   

Rainsoft Re-Installation - Questions

 
 
G8rfn
 
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:19 pm
Before getting into much detail here... Could I start this thread by saying, PLEASE H20_Man, Slussler, and Andy lets keep things on topic, and not turn this thread into a pissing match like every other thread on this topic seems to turn to? I respect all of you for your knowledge and experience, so let's please keep things civil in here. Laughing

Here's my dilemma:

Back in 99 I bought a Rainsoft Water System (biggest mistake of my life for several reasons, and yes we paid about 5500 for it). In any event, we moved to a new house back in 2002, and brought the water system with us. Fearing the disastrous customer service again from rainsoft I never called them from the new house to have it re-installed, and it has been sitting in my garage ever since.

Fast forward about 5-6 years to today... My wife desperately wants me to re-install the RainSoft system. I have ZERO interest in going back into Rainsofts database of customers. SO, I have the following questions:

1. Is it realistic to even expect for this system to work after sitting in a FLorida garage for about 6 years?

2. After reading multiple posts on here, if sounds as if I have the "obsolete" valve which wouldn;t be supported by them any more either?

3. Opinions on solutions? Should I toss this in the dump and start over? Should I just get a new valve and go from there? Should I try to set this one up as is, first?

4. Is there literature out there for understanding the timer on this thing? It's the "old school" dial version with all the "pins" you have to set... Ugh...

5. Thoughts on how feasible it is to setup something you can maintain YOURSELF? Without having to rely on service men with $50 /hour rates unless absolutely necessary.

In short, I want soft water... Having had it in our old house I truly know what a difference it DOES make. However, it seems like everything in this industry is a complete rip-off. People are scamming you left and right on service, sales, installation, etc. I have yet to see a single company out there that gets CONSISTENTLY good feedback. Very dissappointing indeed.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
-G8rfn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,447 • Replies: 15
No top replies

 
Clean Water Rep
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:39 pm
1. If it was properly drained before moving, and did not suffer from any adverse weather or storage related effects, there is no reason it shouldn't work if it was working prior to disconnection.

2. If the valve is in fact obsolete, and/or not working, then common sense dictates you replace the valve.

3. It would make sense to spend less and try to resolve the issue than to spend more with no guarantee of resolving anything, or worse costing you even more in the long run. Again just common sense.

4. The "old school" pin style timers are not nearly as efficient as the new style computer controlled valves in terms of water and salt usage, hence why the dial/pin style is considered "old school". Technology is always on the move, so move with it, or get left in the dust. Again just common sense.

5. If your time is worth nothing to you, and you are the type who enjoys spending hours in front of technical manuals trying to dyi it, well then I suppose that is a better value for you than having a professional install and service your equipment for you. As for me, I have better things to do with my time, so I let the pro's handle that kind of thing. It just makes better sense.

Regarding your opinion of the "Industry" as a whole, all I will say is it is completely illogical, and incredibly short-sighted, and just plain ignorant to presume that because a few individuals had bad experiences with the water treatment industry, that such is the case for the entire industry. As I have stated in another post, the squeakiest of wheels make the most noise. People who are happy with what they are using rarely make a huge public scene about it.

This forum and those like it represent an incredibly small percentage (so small as to be insignificant) of the population at large, and an even smaller percentage of people who use water treatment equipment. It would do folks such as yourself and like minded individuals to realize this, and get your facts straight rather than base all of your conclusions upon the experience of a few squeaky wheels.

If your experience with one dealership was less than satisfactory, it would make sense to try another dealership rather than condemn the company in it's entirety. Again its just common sense.

Have fun Wink!
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:06 pm
Re: Rainsoft Re-Installation - Questions
G8rfn wrote:


Back in 99 I bought a Rainsoft Water System (biggest mistake of my life for several reasons, and yes we paid about 5500 for it).


The type of control valve you have is the key to what your next step will be.

QUESTIONS:
Does your system have a brass valve or is it made of black Noryl plastic?
Does it have an electromechanical timer or is is a metered computerized timer?
Also, is the current water supply the same as the original water supply?
What has changed? What is the same?

G8rfn wrote:
it seems like everything in this industry is a complete rip-off. People are scamming you left and right on service, sales, installation, etc. I have yet to see a single company out there that gets CONSISTENTLY good feedback.


The fact that RainSoft consistently has more negative feedback than any other brand name is a red flag.
Consistently positive feedback is elusive because happy H2O customers are busy doing other things and not worrying about their H2O system.
Unhappy customers (no matter what the product) are usually on a mission to inform everyone how unhappy they are and why.

.
0 Replies
 
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:07 pm
Way to keep it respectful as I mentioned in the first line of my post.

Are you always so pompous as to dignify your advice with "common sense" after every line?

First of all, not everyone works in the industry like yourself and knows what's "common sense," or not. And this is EXACTLY what I am talking about towards the end of my post with respect to their entire industry. You all have a "holier than thou" attitude which really doesn't help anything or anyone.

Second, I meant no disrespect by saying what I said to anyone personally. However, that is just the impression I get from, quite honestly, people like yourself. And, I am entitled to my opinion without being beraded when asking for some help.

I'd love for you to provide me with the CONSISTENTLY GOOD independant reviews of any major water softner company in the US? The "squeaky wheel" excuse is what shady companies hide behind when they know the truth themselves. Like someone else noted in another thread, I will use the auto industry as an example. I don't see any poor reviews of the new BMW 3-series. All I see is accolades about it. Same for the latest GM Hybrid Tahoe. Where are these over-powering "squeaky wheels" you speak of on these reviews? Fact is... The squeaking only happens when there is a serious problem that a MAJORITY sees, and people like you go running for cover behind meager excuses.

Oh and one last point about your "common sense" on #2. Being "obsolete" doesn't necessarily mean it's "broken." Only that it's no longer current and / or supported by the manufacturer. Hence the question of whether to replace it from the start or not.

Your answer to #5 is OH SO TYPICAL of someone in the industry as well. It's amazing we "normal people" can even get to work every day, isn't it? We are such morons, I don't know how we survive. LOL. Let's be honest, this isn't rocket science.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:27 pm
Re: Rainsoft Re-Installation - Questions
I re-read your post...

G8rfn wrote:


2. After reading multiple posts on here, if sounds as if I have the "obsolete" valve which wouldn;t be supported by them any more either?

4. Is there literature out there for understanding the timer on this thing? It's the "old school" dial version with all the "pins" you have to set... Ugh...



I have the owners manual and can send you a copy.
I also have the parts needed to refurbish your obsolete brass valve if you wish to keep it up and running for a few more years.
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:40 pm
Thanks H20_Man,

I wish I could PM you back, but I guess I haven't posted enough to have access yet.

Let me try to answer as best I can...

I "think" mine is brass, but I cannot double check as I'm currently at work. I know the bypass is all brass, would that be the same material as the valve itself?

Definitely an "electromechanical" timer which I cannot even begin to know how to setup at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by "is the current water supply the same as the original?" Do you mean the size of the pipes? If so, yes. However, in the old house, my system was mounted outside, on the side of the house, but I was thinking about putting it in the garage next to the water heater this time around. I would jsut need to figure out a way to get the drain hose through the concrete block if I did this, correct?

I see you mentioned you have the parts for the old valve? Would you recommend I keep the old valve and refurbish, or get a new one? I'd assume you have those too, which would include an updated (computerized) timer? If so, what am I looking at in cost between the 2 options? As well as your own assessment of what "you" would do in this situation.

Thanks again for the useful info. Much appreciated.
0 Replies
 
Clean Water Rep
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:55 pm
Re: Rainsoft Re-Installation - Questions
H2O_MAN wrote:


The fact that RainSoft consistently has more negative feedback than any other brand name is a red flag.
Consistently positive feedback is elusive because happy H2O customers are busy doing other things and not worrying about their H2O system.
Unhappy customers (no matter what the product) are usually on a mission to inform everyone how unhappy they are and why.


Apparently statistics aren't your strong suit either Aquaman. If company "A" has a disproportional higher rate of units installed than company "B" then statistically speaking it is more apt to have more happy as well as more unhappy customers than company "B" . You are more apt to hear something about a national brand than some podunk local brand aren't you? So if Company A has 10,000,000 units installed and Company B has only 100,000 installed who are you apt to hear more about be it good or bad? I would be more inclined to raise a red flag if nobody I know had ever heard of a company. Again common sense isn't it?

I am sure even you realize Aquaman that McDonalds probably receives alot more complaints than Bob's Burger Haven in Mankato MN, because McDonald's does significantly more business. No company can please everyone. There is no such thing as a 100% satisfaction rating, as such is a myth. That being said, of the companies being bandied about in these forums, how many have and ISO Certification? How many of you even know what an ISO certification is? For those of you not in the know, an ISO Certification is given for Product Quality and Customer Satisfaction.

Lastly, a national company cannot be judged in its entirety by the actions of a few bad dealers. To presume otherwise shows a complete lack of common sense, but then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Have fun Wink!
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:13 pm
G8rfn wrote:
Thanks H20_Man,

Let me try to answer as best I can...

Thanks again for the useful info. Much appreciated.


No problem - PM sent.
0 Replies
 
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:14 pm
You're actually making MY point for me, chief. Regardless of how many customers anyone has... reviews are either CONSISTENTLY GOOD, CONSISTENTLY BAD, or a dead even mix. You can research any major national brand and find CONSISTENTLY BAD reviews across the board. With RainSoft being the absolute worst offender.

Likely, you will again try to rebute this by using the old "only the squeaky wheels..." argument. But again, I challenge you to find me ANY MAJOR BRAND of water softener that gets consistently GOOD ratings?

Do you ever buy things on Amazon, Epinions, Ebay, etc.? These billion dollar sites use reviews as their life-blood. And, SHOCKING as it is to you... people actually write about the good and the bad. Amazing isn't it?

In fact, I'll even use your own argument against you. You are absolutely write that McDonalds receives more complaints than Bob's Burger Haven.

BUT...

If Bobs Burger Haven received 500 negative reviews out of 600. And, McDonalds received 500,000 negative reviews out of 1,000,000...

WHICH, is the better place to have a burger?

The answer to THAT, is common sense!

Have Fun, and please go away now.
0 Replies
 
Clean Water Rep
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:35 pm
G8rfn wrote:


In fact, I'll even use your own argument against you. You are absolutely write that McDonalds receives more complaints than Bob's Burger Haven.

BUT...

If Bobs Burger Haven received 500 negative reviews out of 600. And, McDonalds received 500,000 negative reviews out of 1,000,000...

WHICH, is the better place to have a burger?

The answer to THAT, is common sense!



And hence how you make my point even stronger. Both You and Aquaman use the word "consistently" consistently, but what data are you using to back up your point other than the overuse of the word "consistently"? Where are your hard numbers, what is your data source? Is it an independent reliable source or biased opinion? Is there a source period?

I personally don't bother buying things on Amazon, Epinions, or Ebay because I would rather actually see what I am buying and lay hands on it before I pay for it. I am however intimately familiar with all of those services because I have friends who routinely sell on them. E-sites have to rely on reviews because they can't show you the actual product reliably in virtual space.

More often than not product reviews are based solely on personal opinion as opposed to hard data, so in that respect these "reviews" are no more reliable than the predictions of a weatherman or the reviews of a movie critic. Remember most movie critics panned Star Wars when it first came out and yet it went on to make billions of dollars. If you ask a liberal democrat to review a conservative republican do you expect the review to be without bias? Or visa versa?

I would put more faith in the recommendations of a well respected review magazine like Consumers Reports as they provide a mix of both hard data and practical review. Something you will note is not the case here in this forum, or many like it. All that is the case here is the overabundant misapplication of the word "consistently" without data to support it, and that is indeed overly consistent. I mean if you prefer the opinion of a disgruntled employee with a personal bias over facts, well that is your row to hoe, and good luck with that.

Have fun Wink!

PS: We now return you to your regularly scheduled Aquaman lovefest.
0 Replies
 
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 03:54 pm
LMAO, you ignorance is truly astonishing.

I'm sorry you don't understand the word "consistently."

Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consistently



Again, to re-iterate this AGAIN to you since you can't seem to follow anything without implicit directions... Follow these simple steps.

1. Type google.com in your web browser.
2. Search for as many reviews as you can possibly find about the 2008 BMW 3 -series and BMWs service record. When finished, count up how many were positvie, negative, and neutral.
3. Do the exact same thing for Rainsoft water softeners and their repective companies service record. Count, again... Take your socks off if you need help.

This will demonstrate the following. BMW = consistently good. Rainsoft = consistently bad.

Ouch, I used that word again. Luckily there's the link to dictionary.com for your personal use, since you missed that day in 3rd grade.
0 Replies
 
Clean Water Rep
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:52 pm
G8rfn wrote:
LMAO, you ignorance is truly astonishing.

I'm sorry you don't understand the word "consistently."

Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consistently



Again, to re-iterate this AGAIN to you since you can't seem to follow anything without implicit directions... Follow these simple steps.

1. Type google.com in your web browser.
2. Search for as many reviews as you can possibly find about the 2008 BMW 3 -series and BMWs service record. When finished, count up how many were positvie, negative, and neutral.
3. Do the exact same thing for Rainsoft water softeners and their repective companies service record. Count, again... Take your socks off if you need help.

This will demonstrate the following. BMW = consistently good. Rainsoft = consistently bad.

Ouch, I used that word again. Luckily there's the link to dictionary.com for your personal use, since you missed that day in 3rd grade.


So do you do all your "research" via google, and rely on google for your so called "data"? I suppose that explains a lot of things. You do realize that Google is a search engine, not a source of hard data right? Lemme guess you also rely on Wikipedia for all your hardcore informational needs too right? Just out of curiosity, did you and Aquaman graduate from the same school system? Was it mail order?

I am well aware of what the word consistently means, as well as others, hence why I am not forced to repeatedly use that one word over and over again. Instead of pointing me to a dictionary I do not require, you might do better to invest in a thesaurus yourself.

Have fun Wink!

PS: Likewise you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Comparing a specific car model that has been on the market for 3 months to a product that has been on the market for nearly 55 years is hardly a practical comparison is it? Lets see how those reviews stand up once the bloom is off the rose and normal wear and tear begins to occur on your beloved 2008 BMW 3. I know plenty of folks (from personal experience) who are anything but pleased with BMW or their BMW roadsters.
0 Replies
 
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:06 pm
I love how in each of your posts you say absolutely nothing of value. You are tuly just a giant wind-bag of useless energy.

Yes, Google is used for for Research. Are you honestly going to sit here and argue it's value in research? Really??? If so, you're even dumber than I thought... Which I didn't think was possible, to be honest. Kudos for proving me wrong on that much, at least.

And here's a tid-bit for ya... read your previous post again... V E R Y S L O W L Y . . . Your making my point for me again... Do you notice anything in the first 2 sentences? Read it again... Still don't? The word SEARCH (as in... search engine) is also the root of the word RESEARCH (as in... what you do on google). So, yes, *genius* I guess maybe that's why they call them SEARCH ENGINES. What do you think? Do you want to argue this point some more? Or, should we move on to why you rode that short bus all those years to school? Oh, but I bet mommy told you it was the "Special" bus, didn't she?
0 Replies
 
G8rfn
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:18 pm
Oh and I almost forgot the best part...

Yet again you are still making my points for me even on the BMW issue.

The point has NOTHING to do with how long ANYTHING has been on the market... Only that people spend LOTS of time writing GOOD reviews. And judging by your comments you admit that they are all positive, even though you just told me that nobody ever writes about the positives? That alone cracks your "only the squeaky wheels..." argument. You are really grasping at straws and getting desperate on this aren't you???

Even still, I'll destroy your long-term example as well.

Which one do you want to explore, I'll let you pick...

Craftsman Tools? They've been around since 1927.
Coca Cola? Late 19th century
Walt Disney World? 1971

These are things that have been in the market a minimum of 30+ years, and some over 100 years.

All CONSISTENTLY good reviews.

Grab another straw, chief. I love it.
0 Replies
 
ldwplw
 
  1  
Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 12:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have the same system and want to reinstall. Do you still have a copy of the manual? If so please let me know
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:04 pm
@ldwplw,



Email me with your specific needs.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Poo-tee-weet? - Question by boomerang
Let's just rename them "Rapeublicans" - Discussion by DrewDad
Which wood laminate flooring? - Question by Buffalo
Metal Roofs pros & con s - Question by Swimpy
Buying a new entry door - Question by sozobe
Need water help - Question by richierich
Lifesource Water versus a 'salt' system - Discussion by USBound
Rainsoft - Discussion by richb1
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Rainsoft Re-Installation - Questions
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/16/2019 at 02:11:20