Why 7 days for Creation?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:58 am
@rosborne979,
your statement confuses me. Is there something wrong with the origin of creation myths (or do you mean Genesis as a book in the Bible) being grounded in physical phenomena?
spendius

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:36 pm
@plainoldme,
He means POM that religious beliefs are caused by our weakness in having emotions. ros doesn't have any weaknesses so he doesn't have any use for religious beliefs or mythical tales which he is fond of calling fairy-stories. He wants everybody to stop having these silly beliefs although he hasn't offered yet, to my knowledge, any method of stopping us having emotions which lead to beliefs.

As you no doubt realise he is a complete idiot which, as you might expect, causes him to be so confused that he has to have me on Ignore so that he can remain in the same intellectual position as he was in when he discovered that there is no God which keeps everything simple for him.

I daresay he regrets having made the statement you quote. But he does say--"In a sense we can argue", so maybe he hasn't said anything really.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 01:47 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
your statement confuses me. Is there something wrong with the origin of creation myths (or do you mean Genesis as a book in the Bible) being grounded in physical phenomena?

No, there's nothing wrong with natural phenomena being the basis of stories. I think that's reasonable and probably something I should have expected.

Until I started this thread I didn't know what the basis for 7 day in the creation story was. But it makes sense that 7 noticeable celestial objects would inspire many stories way back in antiquity.
spendius

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 02:02 pm
@rosborne979,
It's more likely that it provided a divine sanction for a day of rest is the explanation which has now been expanded to weekends, long weekends, holidays dedicated to saints or more mundane dignities like banks, sick leave, annual breaks. Without God the bosses would have us working until we dropped. Earthly gods have no limit to their vanity.
Ionus

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@spendius,
The week came first, then a day of rest was required for good health. If God has a day off then so should everyone else.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:47 pm
@spendius,
I detest the fact that you insult rosborne to me rather than allowing rosborne to answer a question directed at him. If you had at least answered constructively, I would not be as angry with you as I am.
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:53 pm
@plainoldme,
perhaps all is lunacy with no quarter given
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:39 pm
While sitting in the fields at night and staring at the sky, I wonder how many of our very ancient ancestors correctly deduced that the moon was a physical object, somehow hovering in the sky. Apparently if there ever were any "scientific" ideas back in those times, they never persisted in stories. Only the supernatural stories persisted.
Ionus

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:48 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Apparently if there ever were any "scientific" ideas back in those times, they never persisted in stories.
The most common is whichever produces the fewest questions...it used to be superstitution, now its science. But even superstition produces good results through self healing/self hypnosis...depending on where you live, you could die waiting for science to heal you....superstition we know works in poor areas.
spendius

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:45 am
@Ionus,
ros doesn't live in a poor area. He has posh comforters.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:12 am
@Ionus,
"LEAVE ME OUT OF YOUR PETTY CONCERNS ABOUT CREATION"

love GOD.

The man himself checks in with a shout out .

plainoldme

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:54 am
@farmerman,
Speaking of God . . . I was up late working on a dish to bring to a party, so I needed to watch some reruns to wind down. An ad came on that I thought would be for yet another anti-depressant (frankly, the only problem this country has with depression is all the bloody ads for anti-depressants) . . .a 30-something woman with long dark hair was described as having a good job, lots of friends and a family . . . however . . . something seemed to be missing. There was a head shot of this woman, looking wistfully into space.

I braced myself for the words, "I spoke to my doctor about Abilify."

Instead, the voice over recommended God.

I wonder what the dosage is.
Ionus

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:13 am
@farmerman,
I prefer
"WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE"
Love God.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 07:15 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Instead, the voice over recommended God. I wonder what the dosage is.
For Muslims, 5 times a day. For Christians, take one just before death.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:52 am
@Ionus,
A nice example of dry wit.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:16 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I braced myself for the words, "I spoke to my doctor about Abilify."

Instead, the voice over recommended God.

I wonder what the dosage is.

It's "All or Nothing".
spendius

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:26 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
frankly, the only problem this country has with depression is all the bloody ads for anti-depressants

Unless you believe that pharmaceutical companies burn money the number of ads for anti-depressants is sound evidence for the frequency of depression in the population. The choices might well be religion, pharmaceuticals, occupational therapy, constructing models of things say, or keep the depression now that electro-shock is discredited and a last resort. War is pretty good for depression they say.

Ads are a sort of microscope through which your society can be seen up close and in detail. Assertions to the contrary notwithstanding.

The most successful ad of all time is the one that persuades everybody that they are not influenced by ads.
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:01 am
@spendius,
Quote:
not influenced by ads

to air is human to believe is subliminal
plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:38 am
@rosborne979,
Good answer!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
@spendius,
I think that ads totally negate the idea of a free market and that gullible people are totally convinced that they need to buy crap that tastes bad or harms them and the environment and is over-priced.

For you to say that the number of ads is evidence of the severity of the depression in the US is so naive as to leave me shaking me head.
0 Replies