Slow computer

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:40 pm
I have a new computer and, amazingly - it is slower in every way than its predecessor. I have been told that there are cables which can increase the speed in everything: start-up, internet, and printer. If this is true, what type of cables should I look for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 746 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:54 pm
Cables might quicken the message to the printer, but I can't see how start up and operations will be any quicker. Is it you are comparing an old computer under XP to a new one running Windows Vista? It is fatter, and probably slower.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 04:59 pm
don't know if this is useful information ... ...
i recently moved my computer further away from the phone outlet .
i just bought a longer - 50 feet - phone cord and re-connected it .
i could hardly get any throughput . phoned the server who told me that ordinary phonewire extension does NOT work at 50 feet .
so i bought and installed a 50 feet CAT6 NETWORKING CABLE and my problems are over .
anyone need a 50 feet phone extension cable Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:32 pm
Hamburger:
I am known for my ridiculous questions, so here is one more: Could the trouble have been in your first cable, and not the telephone outley? Also, could it be that if you did not change your location, but nevertheless used the new CAT6 cable, you would have experienced a better, faster result?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:12 pm
Networking cable (Cat5, Cat6, etc.) uses twisted pairs of wire. The twists prevent interference on the line.

Flat phone cable will actually start to pick up radio stations, once you get past 20' or so.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
As for your slow PC, try running "msconfig" and turning off anything you don't need.
0 Replies