Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:36 pm
Why?

Maybe I'm missing something so I started this thread. If I'm missing something, tell me.

I don't understand white chocolate.

And I understand most foods. Especially pastry. You see, in one incarnation (between starving artist and curvy housewife) I was a pastry chef in a fancy French restaurant (fFr). So yes, I get chocolate.

I get it even though I am not a huge fan.

Chocolate does not intimidate me.

For years I have escaped white chocolate when it made an unexpected appearance at my door today and I just HAD to try it.

At the fFr I was ocassionaly required to use white chocolate despite my protests that it was a sin.

I was tempted to replace the offensive stuff with candle wax mixed with lowfat milk and some kind of chocolate "extract". Who would possibly know, I reasoned.

I understand it's decorative purposes (when used with restraint so as not to have any impact on the flavor).

(That last thing is because the hamster wouldn't let me post my poll for some reason, you can ignore it.)

So, seriously, is it me? Is my maudlin relationship with chocolate to blame? I like it but in the world of flavor chocolate falls behind many things on my list, I confess.

Does white chocolate have any redeeming qualities?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,108 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
I tried it before. I found it - Not interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:42 pm
I love chocolate, and also don't understand the interest in white chocolate ...

well, I did understand its use in a local product made by Sjaak's Chocolates at one point some years ago. It was a Banana Slug... made with chocolate truffle filling and a yellowed white chocolate on the outside. Goofy, and cute in a sick sort of way. For example, if you were a partisan of a university team with the banana slug as its mascot. I gave one to a friend as a joke christmas present. (Slaps self.) They're a more serious company now, methinks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
If given the choice, I'd much rather eat a chunk of ice cold creamry butter instead of white chocolate. Premium butter has a much better mouth feel and flavor than white chocolate.

Dark chocolate I love, but my skin does not. I've grown out of a yearning of it. Again, given the choice between dark chocolate and something intensely cinnamon, I'll choose cinnamon.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
Me too! I thought it was just me!

(Re: that "last thing" -- I fixed it but now I can fix the "last thing" bit so please ignore it. Thank you!)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
Another not huge fan of chocolate anyway....

I tried white choc, like others, didn't really get it.

Can really even say now what it tasted like.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
White chocolate has the greastest appeal for those who find that colour and flavour interfere with the experince of texture.
(Sandra Boynton)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:56 pm
White chocolate has no soul...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:01 pm
White Ritter Sport with hazelnuts...mmmhhhhh so good.

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ritter1.jpg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:13 pm
Maybe your problem is comparing white chocolate to regular mik or dark chocolate -- sorta like calling a McDonalds burger a "hamburger" like the ones you make at home. If you just forget it's called chocolate and accept it for whatever it is, you might like it better.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:18 pm
i like almost any food. i like white chocolate. i like dark chocolate more, but still... can't think of food i don't like Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:56 pm
I love white chocolate,,, especially served certain ways... I also like extra dark chocolate... fabulous with a crisp white wine or champagne....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 09:59 pm
White chocolate just seems like wax to me.
I'm not crazymad about chocolate generally, but I can appreciate an excellent piece of good quality milk, bittersweet or dark chocolate.

But white chocolate?

I don't 'get' it at all.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:37 pm
Thumbs down on white chocolate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:40 pm
I think of it as "waxy buildup".

I'll admit to not having tried the Ritter's bar. I always go for their Coconut (cream) with regular chocolate or one of the others instead.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:18 pm
I love white chocolate. They should give it a different name, though. It's not chocolate. I have a wonderful recipe for a white chocolate raspberry tart. If anyone is interested, I'll post it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:21 pm
You know me... a recipe???
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:56 pm
I like tarts.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:09 am
swimpy, i'm your girl. let us have your recipe!
i agree it shouldn't be called chocolate, but eh, it's still good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 02:19 am
I like all kinds of chocolate.

"White chocolate" is no chocolate.
0 Replies