Hoarders' therapy group.

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:58 am
The annual "hard rubbish" collection is about to happen here. It's my street's turn this coming Monday. Folk put their old & unwanted furniture, mattresses, TV sets, whatever, out on the nature strip in front of their homes to be collected by the council workers. It looks like a slum scene out there!
To make matters worse, Steptoes cruise slowly around the streets, looking for discarded "treasures" to cart off home to their sheds. Their wives must be so pleased! More junk cluttering up the place! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:43 pm
Ha! The stuff I left out front for the hard rubbish collection has all gone! (After sitting there for 4 days! Rolling Eyes) The collectors woke me up yesterday morning (just as well - I forgot to set the alarm!) & took the lot from my street. Which now looks like it's had a spring clean! Very Happy

A couple of days before, I was commentating to my neighbour about the rampantly scavenging "Steptoes", noting that a (computer) swivel chair I'd put out had vanished amost before it had hit the ground. "Oh that was me!", she declared, blushing. "I thought that if it was yours, it'd be OK." Laughing

OK! Term (school) break now. Still more stuff to get rid of & take to the Brotherhood op (thrift) shop!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:50 pm
Hi, my name is farmerman.

"hello farmerman"

And Im a hoarder of paper. I love paper, all kinds of paer. Great sheets of 300 pound 100% rag watercolor paper with dimpled surfaces and a cream colored low sheen; piles of Bristol board, hard and smoothed surfaced; tablets and tablets of hot rolled and cold rolled smooth and medium toothed drawing paper.
I have great piles of cardstock and scratchboard all waiting to be made into cards and scratched upon.

I love paper

ALl kinds of paper.

And I have lots of paper in large plastic bags so they dont yellow on the shelves of my studio.

Today I bought some Mi Tientes charcoal paper, I think I need help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:58 pm
<grins>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:02 pm
<clap clap clap>

"Welcome to out group, farmerman! ... And when did you first notice this paper habit getting out of your control? When you began taking time off from work to acquire still more rolls & sheets? ..... & began hiding your paper stash from your loved ones ....?"
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:03 pm
farmerman wrote:
Hi, my name is farmerman.

"hello farmerman"

And Im a hoarder of paper. I love paper, all kinds of paer. Great sheets of 300 pound 100% rag watercolor paper with dimpled surfaces and a cream colored low sheen; piles of Bristol board, hard and smoothed surfaced; tablets and tablets of hot rolled and cold rolled smooth and medium toothed drawing paper.
I have great piles of cardstock and scratchboard all waiting to be made into cards and scratched upon.

I love paper

ALl kinds of paper.

And I have lots of paper in large plastic bags so they dont yellow on the shelves of my studio.

Today I bought some Mi Tientes charcoal paper, I think I need help.

Oh FarmerMan - with your paper and my card stock - heck, we could do open up a stationery store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh no......... can't get rid of my card stock - no matter how hard I try.

K - WE NEED HELP! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:05 pm
Msolga--

You I approve of. As for the hoarders and collectors and all those people who tempt both moth and dust.....

....silence.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 05:55 pm
Has anybody ever used the opportunity, while moving, to "accidentally lose", a spouses hoarded collection of this and that? "Lost in the move."
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
(Alex24....

You weren't thinking about "accidently losing" that nice new blue and white rug were you? :wink: )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:11 pm
Quote:
Has anybody ever used the opportunity, while moving, to "accidentally lose", a spouses hoarded collection of this and that? "Lost in the move."

ANYBODY touches my paper, dies like a dog.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:27 am
Alex--

I've frequently been sorely tempted to winnow other peoples' beloved security blankets, but I refrain.

On the other hand, the men in my life seem to feel Heavenly Approval for discarding my treasures--or converting them to personal use.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 07:04 am
Before we moved, we agreed to rid ourselves of some clutter we had accumulated, and have a garage sale. The majority of our items were my wifes, of course. I was present for the Saturday, and she was home for the day Sunday. When she came home Saturday evening, and stepped into the house, and then, high tailed it to the garage, she began asking: "Where's this?, Where's that? Where's my...? ....you sold what..? ...and even...? It was dirty work. Somebody had to do it. I took no satisfaction.
Sunday. Set up.
"Honey, will you roll your bike out of the garage, so I can set up another table?" I gladly obliged, before I headed out.
Gone. My baby. Four carb, krakor headers, seventy seven, wonderful machine. Gone.
Cleaning closets can be tough.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 05:56 am
alex240101 wrote:
Before we moved, we agreed to rid ourselves of some clutter we had accumulated, and have a garage sale. The majority of our items were my wifes, of course. I was present for the Saturday, and she was home for the day Sunday. When she came home Saturday evening, and stepped into the house, and then, high tailed it to the garage, she began asking: "Where's this?, Where's that? Where's my...? ....you sold what..? ...and even...? It was dirty work. Somebody had to do it. I took no satisfaction.
Sunday. Set up.
"Honey, will you roll your bike out of the garage, so I can set up another table?" I gladly obliged, before I headed out.
Gone. My baby. Four carb, krakor headers, seventy seven, wonderful machine. Gone.
Cleaning closets can be tough.

Yep, it certainly can, alex!

Initially.

Funny thing is, after a (very short) while that missing "stuff" is just as irrelevant as it was before, just sitting there unused, gathering dust.

Bravo. Well done! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 04:42 am
How I wish was Noddy was here, to once again congratulate me on my latest heroic episode of de-hoarding & to encourage me to bigger & better things! (I miss Noddy. <sigh>)

Yep, I've been at it again. Either I move to a big house in darkest suburbia or I make an even more determined effort to further reduce my accumulated clutter, to fit my (tiny) house! Do I want to live in darkest suburbia? NO!!!! So .... onward!
You should have seen me at it on the weekend. A frenzy of de-cluttering! I now have 5 big garbage bags fulls of clothes sitting on my front porch. And before they're collected by the good ol' Diabetics Association (for sale in their op shops- thrift stores) there'll be heaps more bags & boxes of stuff to join them! I am being RUTHLESS about this! Over the next few days it'll be the kitchen (Anyone need a hardly used blender, a wok?) ... followed by heaps of DVDs & books that I'll sell to my second-hand trader fellow ... followed by the stuff in the shed. Followed by .... No shelf will be left untouched, no drawer missed ....This is BIG!
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 05:12 am
@msolga,
Good for you msolga. We've been winnowing for weeks and had a 2 day yard sale on the weekend. Met some nice people, made a few bucks and best of all have one almost totally empty room in the house! Dropped off a couple of boxes at Goodwill, Monday.

I've been trading my books away for...well, more books...but it takes about 5 well cared for books to get a new-to-me one at my neighbourhood used book store so I'm making headway!
djjd62

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 05:16 am
@msolga,
been doing much the same here, sold off the cd collection (digitized everything first), keeping about 100 must have hard copies, boxes of books to various places, some sold, some donated

a lot of the donated books went here
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_0790.jpg
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_0791.jpg

this bookshop is about 2.5 hours from home, it's a nonprofit organization run by a retired school librarian, after he retired he went on a trip to haiti and was appalled by the conditions he saw in the schools, he came back home, leased an old motel, went to work converting it into the bookshop, he pays the lease, he and a staff of volunteers man the shop, books are taken by donation only, all profit goes to helping by educational supplies in third world countries
msolga

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 05:53 am
@djjd62,
Getting rid of all that stuff makes one feel sort of lighter, more carefree, wouldn't you say, djjd? Very Happy Wink

Hey, I like the concept of that bookshop! There should be more of us doing things like that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 06:06 am
@msolga,
Yay Msolga!!!! Wonder woman!!!!!You go girl!!!!!

Away with your dominion!!!
msolga

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 06:14 am
@dlowan,
Very Happy

Thank you, thank you, honey bunch!

I needed that encouragement!

I shall carry on with it. Relentlessly!
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 06:42 am
@msolga,
I need to hit the clothes and the books again!!!

You go....here's to cleanth and eleganth!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:12:55