Hoarders' therapy group.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:33 pm
(Funny, I suggested fizzy water too, by pm.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:14 am
I'm feeling much perkier today. Outside the sleet is falling, so this will be a day of manditory togetherness.

With luck, we'll keep our electricity (which means heat, cooking, running water and light).
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:34 am
Don't know you Noddy, but, I've taken notes on some of your responses. It will be in my best interest to wish you a speedy recovery from whatever ails you. Seriously, may your health be one hundred and twenty percent soon.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:34 am
Alex--

Thanks for the kind words.

You're the sort of New Member that A2K is trying to attract.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:47 am
Hey Noddy - (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((xox))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Just to say, had I known your dominion was not being held so strongly I would have sent a helping hand to you. Hope you recover quickly and Hold Your Dominion steady soon. Smile

as for hoarding...............

everything.....................

garages were not designed for cars - they are designed in my world to put everything into that cannot be precariously fitted into and above every cupboard, loft, dresser or understairs space. Shocked (which is a nightmare when trying to sell ones home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(what will I do when I move........oh noooooooooooooo - major withdrawal of junkstorers anonymous - that'll be a whole new topic) Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:35 pm
Izzie--

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not going any where near your garage or any of your other sacred stash places.

Moving? In your dreams.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:41 am
Great to see you're well & truly on the mend, Noddy. Just keep taking it easy, OK?

Now I want to report some progress in the junk stakes! Very Happy

Today I took the following to the Brotherhood op shop!: a vaccuum cleaner (in pretty good condition but not needed any more), a computer monitor (this branch of the Brotherhood of St L has a terrific band of electricians on site ... to repair & recycle. Hooray!) & lots of clothing!

That was just stage 1.

The purge will continue!

Next, the books! (I'm gonna be ruthless!)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 07:58 am
Msolga--

Good for you.

Tackling the books? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

One of my oldest phobias is being confined in the house with Nothing To Read. Yesterday I indulged in a spell of double-shelving, fitting six feet of reading into a three foot space. This means I can stash another three feet of reading material--about 36 books--against hard times.

Everyone is entitled to one area of irrational greed (providing that this doesn't involve shoplifting or an unbalanced checkbook).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:28 am
Noddy24 wrote:
...Everyone is entitled to one area of irrational greed (providing that this doesn't involve shoplifting or an unbalanced checkbook).

Ah, if only it was just one area, Noddy!
Sigh.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 09:30 am
Msolga--

Some people hoard to plug holes in their personality and other people hoard to extend their personality.

I suspect you're a sentimental extender.

Confession time:

January was a hard and icy month. I indulged myself by buying 50-odd books. I read only 32 books (and some of these were re-reads).

Even with double shelving.....

In terms of storage space, don't you envy women who hoard diamonds as a security blanket? Diamonds are so portable, so easily stored.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:31 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Confession time:

January was a hard and icy month. I indulged myself by buying 50-odd books. I read only 32 books (and some of these were re-reads).

You managed to read 32 out of 50 purchases, Noddy?

That is extremely good going! Well done!

I'm afraid I have tended to treat my book purchases like library resources. I'm often inspired enough to purchase ... I may read a bit, but if the time is not right ( :wink: ), I will move onto something else ... which I possibly bought 5 years ago!

The thing is, my tiny little abode does not lend itself to this sort of indulgence. Recently I've taken to talking sternly to myself: "msolga, you are only on this planet for a very short time. Choose carefully, time is finite. Read the stuff that really matters! Throw out/recycle the other stuff."

I'm absolutely serious, I mean this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:56 am
Msolga--

Confession time. My unread January purchases joined more than 200 other books on my To Read shelf. Some of these books go back at least seven years.

Rationally, I don't need more books, but security blankets are security blankets.

Most of the ToRead shelf is "light reading"--aka TRASH--I can read two murder mysteries in an evening--three if I start the evening early. I don't watch television, so I have lots more reading time than most people.

I don't just read for edification or even for pleasure. Trashy novels are a complete, low-calorie escape from the slings and arrows of my "real" life.
Yes, my time is finite--but I have promises to keep and I have to keep my psyche in promise-keeping condition.

Try cooing, "Msolga you are only on this planet for a very short time. Choose carefully and leaven your onerous duties with wild bursts of vicarious pleasure. You are a person to be catered to and cherished."

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:41 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Try cooing, "Msolga you are only on this planet for a very short time. Choose carefully and leaven your onerous duties with wild bursts of vicarious pleasure. You are a person to be catered to and cherished."

Hold your dominion.

Ooooooh, I followed your advice & did that for a bit, Noddy. (Cooing, even!)

Hmmmm, it feels rather nice, actually! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:24 am
Msolga--

That come-hither wink was your start along a primrose (and citrus) path of measured decadence.

By 2010 you just might be wearing red corsets and black garters.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:08 pm
Yes! Yes!!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 01:45 pm
What color rose will you clench between your teeth?

Do you favor an old-fashioned blacksnake whip or a nautical cat-o-nine tails?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:33 pm
Laughing

Oh a vivid crimson, absolutely!

I'm leaning toward the nautical cat-o-nine tails, I think! Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:05 pm
Msolga--

Go, girl! Go!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 01:36 am
I'm giving it my very best effort, Noddy. Razz

... and in the meantime, I'm sizing up the next clearing out jobs that need to to done.
Tomorrow: all the excess cookbooks! Like heaps & heaps & heaps of them! Shocked I will avert my eyes as I (hastily) pack them away! Nothing will persuade me to keep any that I have not used in the last couple of years at least! I will be strong!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 01:48 am
Misolga, I will buy your CDs Very Happy .

One time I moved so many times in a couple years that each time I moved with less stuff intill I could move with just a backpack. When I moved into a new apartment I furnished it with all free furniture. The furniture was perfectly clean and functional (but very dated and unmatching) But it gave the apartment it's own look. When I left I just left all the furniture and pictures their for the nixt people and did not fret about possesions. I just loaded my backpack and hit the road. This may seem strange to people but when you do it you see that it is far better to free your mind of those possesions that would occupy energy and mind better spent on enjoying life. Just don't go to far. Hold on to whatever you really like.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:26:43