Hoarders' therapy group.

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 07:38 pm
I really enjoy checking out opportunity shops (thrift shops) from time to time for pre-loved treasures. Some of the saddest things I come across in these places are people's valued personal mementoes ... like old, framed wedding photographs, postcards sent to loved ones from various wars, old photo albums .... Sigh. Obviously these once treasured items meant so little to those close to the deceased that they just threw them out! You know, I'd prefer to destroy my own sentimental "stuff" than have someone else have to do it after my death. What an indignity, the idea of your framed first holy communion photograph ending up in an op shop like that! Sad Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:45 pm
Msolga--

I've known at least three Widows of Handymen who were left to cope with literally tons of junk. All of them had pleaded for a bit of winnowing before the Eternal Train left the station with the Dear Departed on board.

I've not only warned Mr. Noddy about his beloved junk. In case of my early demise he has instructions to call my d-i-l (who has full instructions) and turn my family antiques and papers over to her.

He agrees with me that his kids can be a bit unscrupulous and greedy.

My goodness, I'm venting! I do that when I'm physically bedeviled.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 05:50 am
Noddy24 wrote:
My goodness, I'm venting! I do that when I'm physically bedeviled.

No problem with venting, Noddy, but are you OK? Does "physically bedevilled" mean that you're unwell at the moment?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
Msolga--

I have a low grade infection on top of a bout with anemia. Being sub-par physically saps my patience and makes me very cranky and crabby.

Thanks you for asking.

I just finished winnowing the top drawer of the filing cabinet. The shredder will be working today.

Next project: Second drawer--mostly creative manuscripts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 01:02 pm
Creative manuscripts? Oh, but wait..............
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 04:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I've known at least three Widows of Handymen who were left to cope with literally tons of junk.

the best tools I have are a result of the ton of junk yard sale syndrome.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 05:42 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga--

I have a low grade infection on top of a bout with anemia. Being sub-par physically saps my patience and makes me very cranky and crabby.

Thanks you for asking.

I just finished winnowing the top drawer of the filing cabinet. The shredder will be working today.

Next project: Second drawer--mostly creative manuscripts.

Don't overdo it, will you, Noddy. Rest, rest! (Don't laugh at the suggestion!) And ask Mr Noddy to bring you a nice reviving cup of tea! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 05:51 pm
Seriously though, people seem to have too much "stuff" & are getting very sloppy & anti-social about getting rid of it, as they acquire yet more stuff. A fairly recent development here: finding rubbishy stuff discarded on the streets. Dumped in the dead of night, I suppose. Rubbishy stuff piling up next to the Salvation Army & Brotherhood donation bins. Seems we're awash with useless stuff! It drives the local Council, which ends up having to clean up after the dumpers, nuts!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 07:24 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga--

Thanks you for asking.

Noddy - I love "physically bedevilled" as a description. Hate what it means, though! Hope you feel better soon!

Hold your dominion!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
Thanks all for the concern. Yesterday I had a four hour nap and then slept for ten hours.

I have postponed any mountain-moving until sometime next week--if I feel up to moving mountains.

This afternoon I may take another nap.

Again, your concern is warming and healing. Thank you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Thanks all for the concern. Yesterday I had a four hour nap and then slept for ten hours.

I have postponed any mountain-moving until sometime next week--if I feel up to moving mountains.

This afternoon I may take another nap.

Again, your concern is warming and healing. Thank you.

Very wise to put off that mountain-moving till a more suitable time, Noddy. Just try not to look or think about the list of must-dos for a bit. (Hard, I know! :wink: )

And yes, lots more naps! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
Naps -- good for the soul. Feel better soon.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:06 pm
Miss Noddy, guardianess of our dominions, take care...

RH
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:04 am
Thanks all.

I spent the night purging. Obviously today is a day for eating lightly and reading lots of trashy novels.

I can get my teeth cleaned some other time when I won't be sharing germs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:06 am
Oh yikes!

That does not sound at all pleasant.

Feel better soon...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
Thanks, Soz. My digestion is returning to normal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 05:49 pm
Good to hear, Noddy!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:03 pm
Hopefully you've got some nice fizzy water and crackers to go with your trashy reading, Noddy.

Hand me some of that dominion stuff. I'll hold up one corner of it for you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:07 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
... today is a day for eating lightly and reading lots of trashy novels.

Don't forget to recycle those trashy novels after you've read them, Noddy! (When you're well enough, of course!) :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:18 pm
Feel better, Noddy!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:32:09