wall oven 23.5 inches exterior width or less..does it exist?

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 08:47 am
I have a centuries old wall oven in the corner of my kitchen. As tappan doesnt make ovens anymore, i cant find a direct replacement. I had thought a few months ago i found one at sears but even though i brought a photo along with measurements into the store, it still didnt fit my cutout and would have needed a lot of work on the vertical to make it fit. ( i forget if it would fit horizontally but it was moot at the time)

I've checked many online sites and they all say the exterior is 24 inches in the spec sheets. The way the corner is with the cabinets and opposing counters, the max external width i can have is positively 23.5 and of course that is if you jam it in, i would much rather have a little spare room on either side. The existing cut out is about 22 so lots of play room there.

I'm not home so dont remember all the other dimensions but i have yet to find an oven that has 23.5 max exterior width so those are moot at this point anyway.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 33,495 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ThroughTheLookingGlass

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
Gaggenau makes one that small. It needs 23 1/6 vertical and 22 1/16 horizontal. Its VERY expensive ($3000). De Longhi makes one, vertical = 27, horizontal = 22 ($1100). You might try other European brands as well.

Do you mean height or width? You said width, but your description sounded like you were talking about height.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:32 am
I'll have to look those up. If they are the exterior dimensions there may be a hope. and yes i mean width..left to right. It's in the corner of my counter and each countertop meets it at a 45 degree angle and countertop to countertop it's 23.5 inches.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:38 pm
Is it gas or electric? The Gaggenau and Miele would fit but they are only electric models and very expensive.

What kind of counters do you have? If it is corian it can be cut and sanded and would hardly be noticeable, laminate could also be cut but would leave an unfinished edge unless.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 08:13 pm
electric....formica. And the formica is about 1/4 inch over the cabinet edge so even if cut back you barely have 1/4 inch extra ...im not sure per side or total, i'd have to take a measurement.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm
A 1/4" on each side would make all the difference, generally ovens are slightly narrower than what the description says.

I install appliances so I will ask around tomorrow if anyone knows actual widths for 24" ovens and get back to you.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 04:45 pm
The Kitchenaid was 23 3/4" but they recently changed their model so I am not sure if it is still the same. The best bet would be to measure the display units at the store to see what the closest fit is.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:30 pm
i took a much closer look. Though didnt measure. But here the counter is tapered a bit and trying to shave off just 'that' tiny amount of formica doesnt sound like much fun. But i guess it's possible?

thanks for the input. I also have the height to consider but something tells me it's easier than the width Smile
0 Replies

csaint-laurent

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:48 am
@luckydriver,
I can't believe it, I purchased a home and I also have that old Tappan stainless steel oven with buttons falling apart! I never realized when I purhcased the place that I would have to remodel the whole kitchen to fit a new one in!
0 Replies

tallturtle

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:22 am
Did you ever find an oven?
I have the same problem.
luckydriver

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@tallturtle,
no i never found one and when the lower element died, i brought it in to a local place and they matched up a new one. No one has the model numbers this old. I think they looked it up on that appliance repair site online, i forget which one exactly thought but they list all elements and a grid showing how big they are

60 bucks and i have new life out of my oven

But i still need some kind of gasket since the front of the oven loses heat and is colder than the rear. In other words you must spin pizza around for even heating Smile
0 Replies

pquart

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:10 pm
Sears sells a Matag electric double oven with minimum required width of 22'' for installation. I bought one, and when I tried to have it installed I found that the brick column it was to be installed in had an opening with width 21.75 " between the two side walls of the column. I have the oven in a never opened box in my kitchen as we speak, and I'm looking for either a narrower oven or trying to figure how the opening can be expanded (I guess grind down the brick walls of the opening).
0 Replies

Karen Smith

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:35 pm
I live in a forty- five year old house that has a double wall oven unit that measures 23 inches wide and 29.5 inches high. For the top oven. The lower oven is 23 inches wide and 23 inches high. These ovens were made by Whirlpoole. The problem with buying a larger oven , which is what is what I would prefer, is that these ovens are set in a brick wall. I want electric and stainless steel. I wish I could purchase a wider oven and do an oven/ microwave combination, but cutting into that brick, which backs up to our fireplace seems pretty risky. Does such an oven replacement exist? Does anyone know the answer?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 12:06 am
@Karen Smith,
Karen, check out the link I gave you in your other topic.
xanadured

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hello,

Could you please share the link here? I am looking for exactly 23" wide by 29.5" - 30" tall for my grandmothers house. I am hitting a wall and would love to know the link you suggested to Karen.

thanks,
Dara
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 12:41 am
@xanadured,
Here's the link to her other post.

http://able2know.org/topic/203236-1#post-5187605
0 Replies