Cleaning Waxy Film From Clothes Dryer Filter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:29 am
I received this from the guy who sends out our local community news. I had never thought of this before, but it sounds like a good idea!

Quote:
The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the house went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the filter after every load clothes.)

He then took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like.

Well, the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! The dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that blocks air flow and burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free. They feel waxy when you take them out of the box, and that stuff builds on your lint screen.

He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (& to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out & wash it with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:41 am
I never thought of that. I wonder.....be back after I check my lint screen and I will let you know if water goes through it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:45 am
Yep, water went right through so I guess it passed Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:22 am
our dryer is 20 years old - so far , so good .
i wonder if the waxy residue is due to LIQUID softener ?
mrs h uses very few dryer sheets and none in the summer - wash goes out on the line Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
I use dryer sheets and no liquid softener Confused
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
Think about this:

You can treat symptoms via chemical addition (drier sheets and liquid softener, etc...)
or you can soften your water and eliminate the source of the symptoms you are treating.

I have a softener and don't use any drier sheets, or conditioners for my clothes or hair - I don't need these items.
I feel better, spend less, send less to the land fill and my appliances work as advertised years beyond projected expectations.

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
I have a water thingy in my house. Do you have long thick hair? I do and I have never been able NOT to use a conditioner. I have tried and I can't get a comb through it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:00 pm
That clip has been circulating on the internet for years.
And it is true.

Simple way is to take a brush or rag with a little soap on it and wash it well and let it dry
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:06 pm
TTH wrote:
I have a water thingy in my house. Do you have long thick hair?
I do and I have never been able NOT to use a conditioner. I have tried and I can't get a comb through it.

I do have long thick hair... brush from the bottom up then comb.
What water thingy do you have? Maybe it is tired.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:14 pm
Don't have a water softener, also don't use fabric softeners -- no need.

Definitely need to use conditioner on my (and my daughter's) long hair. By long I mean mid-back (me) and waist-length (my daughter). Getting tangles out is simply not going to happen without conditioner -- or at the very least is going to be way more difficult.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:18 pm
I just ran downstairs to look and it says omnifilter and it is blue. I just replaced it about a month ago.

btw hair....I have tried to brush from the bottom up and I would have to spend an hour to get the brush all the way to the top. There is only 1 conditioner brand that works with my hair. I have tried many.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Definitely need to use conditioner on my (and my daughter's) long hair. By long I mean mid-back (me) and waist-length (my daughter). Getting tangles out is simply not going to happen without conditioner -- or at the very least is going to be way more difficult.
Then you know what I mean. I have to use conditioner.
0 Replies