military service for everyone?

snood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Absolutely no forced servitude. I served in our military, but it was voluntary. None of my children has served, and I am content with that. If we can get enough volunteers for a war like Iraq, we can get plenty for one that is justifiable.

But edgar - we ain't got enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:07 am
By being a responsible person, one is already serving the nation. Involuntary service puts us in league with dictatorships. The only way I can accept any form of a draft is when the nation is in true dire straits, as WWII. A situation that is elective (Iraq, for instance) should not qualify.

One post on this thread separates the army from the Navy and Air Force. They are part of an integral war machine, dependant on one another. I served in one branch, as a volunteer. I encouraged my children to decide for themselves. None opted to join up, and I support that.

When the Iraq war began, my boss told me, "I would sacrifice my son over there."
"They take women too," I replied.
Abrupt end of conversation.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 05:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
By being a responsible person, one is already serving the nation. Involuntary service puts us in league with dictatorships. The only way I can accept any form of a draft is when the nation is in true dire straits, as WWII. A situation that is elective (Iraq, for instance) should not qualify.

One post on this thread separates the army from the Navy and Air Force. They are part of an integral war machine, dependant on one another. I served in one branch, as a volunteer. I encouraged my children to decide for themselves. None opted to join up, and I support that.

When the Iraq war began, my boss told me, "I would sacrifice my son over there."
"They take women too," I replied.
Abrupt end of conversation.

You believe the country was "in true dire straits, as WWII"? There were people who would have had us avoid WWII at all costs. They would have let Hitler take Europe, leave the Japanese alone (did we not blockade Japan's ports?), and not get involved. However, there were other factors that got us into WWII, and it was not "dire straits." It was politics, and maintaining the world as we knew it, since the militarism of the Nazis and the Imperial Japanese was an attempt to usher in a new civilization that was allowed to rely on slave labor. In effect, I believe, we were in WWII, because it was the right thing to do. We have since gone into all military actions, including the present ones, I believe, for the same reason: it is the right thing to do. Sorry, if you do not like the reality, I believe, that we are living in a country that takes its morality seriously. Remember, we were not always so moral a nation. But, I believe, nations and people grow up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 05:57 pm
You may not think it's dire straits, but I do.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You may not think it's dire straits, but I do.

"Dire straits" is a colloquial expression. Should you not be more specific, as to the details of a colloquial expression you use? Otherwise, I could think it could refer to the economy and the depression the country was in since the early 1930's.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:04 pm
I think you undrestood my post. I don't want to nit pick tonight.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:31 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I think you undrestood my post. I don't want to nit pick tonight.

No. We were not in "dire straits." We got involved by aiding Britain and blockading Japan. That was a choice. You do know that there were people in the U.S., at that time, that were admirers of the Nazis. And, others that were just anti-war.

I would have been for involvement in WWII, based on my moral perspective; however, I will not kid myself by believing it is an objective postion; it is a subjective position.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm
I consider it dire straits because the war was a threat to all of the major nations, if not immediately, in the future. I know there were prominent Americans that admired the Nazis, and did business with them, but in the end we had to come down on the side that we did. I don't consider it an elective war. I have read books, written in the 50s, that offered criticism of the way Germany was handled after WWI, saying it led directly to WWII. Still, that was poor foresight, not an invitation to Hitler.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I consider it dire straits because the war was a threat to all of the major nations, if not immediately, in the future. I know there were prominent Americans that admired the Nazis, and did business with them, but in the end we had to come down on the side that we did. I don't consider it an elective war. I have read books, written in the 50s, that offered criticism of the way Germany was handled after WWI, saying it led directly to WWII. Still, that was poor foresight, not an invitation to Hitler.

Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand your use of a colloquial expression.
0 Replies