What you can do to help Able2Know

the prince

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:37 am
But I thought you liked being well seasoned !
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:42 am
smorgs wrote:

Still waiting for an answer... x

ANSWER
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:58 am
A lot of the lag in screen draws also appears to be the wait time while waiting for other sites' servers to allow access and transmit images posted by members here.

It is especially apparent if I link an image from a site that is notoriously slow, no matter what the image file size. It makes the loading of the forum page containing that image just as slow.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:07 pm
Timber wrote:

Quote:
Answer

smorgs wrote;

Quote:
Bugger!

x
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Builder wrote:
I can use any forum I choose. I happened upon this one from a google search, and If I had to pay to post here, you wouldn't be reading these words now.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch". Having to look at ads is the price we pay to use this forum.

Like, thanks for the replies.

I can accept that lengthy replies might hold up the posting process, but when my posts were going through, all of you good people were in bed. No fewer than five people were online, and I was the only active poster.

I'm on that curiously isolated chunk of clay called Australia.

Regardless, you're stuck with me. I'm in. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:27 pm
Australians are so...

so cheeky!

x
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:34 pm
smorgs wrote:
Australians are so...

so cheeky!

x

Oh, I was so close to reporting this post, but I softened after the second lager.

:wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:47 pm
Builder
Be careful or you will be inundated with hugs and kisses from around the world.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:31 pm
Builder wrote:
I can accept that lengthy replies might hold up the posting process, but when my posts were going through, all of you good people were in bed. No fewer than five people were online, and I was the only active poster.

I'm on that curiously isolated chunk of clay called Australia.

Regardless, you're stuck with me. I'm in. :wink:

Something else that comes to mind, apart from database size, bandwidth load, and cross-linking delays; the database automatically updates and re-indexes from time to time, with understandably heavy server load causing resonse sluggishness, and I think that's scheduled to happen during more-or-less "off-peak" times relative to Western Europe & North America - which would tend be right about when Ozians/Asians/Pacific Rimmers might be expected to be online. A2K's users literally span the globe; we've even had posts from Antarctica.

And welcome to A2K, Builder - odds are if you can put up with us, we can put up with you Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:19 pm
I know I am still new and I realize it costs money to be on line. I come to this site to learn and have some fun. I regretfully say that when you start to charge for the site I will be leaving. The ones I have spoken with (I do have secret friends) on other threads will also be leaving. Thank you to everyone that have gone out of their way and been so helpful. Your help is much appreciated. So, until then, thanks for the site and I wish you only the best and I do say that with sincerity.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:24 pm
huh? who said anything about charging for the site?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:29 pm
(nobody did...)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:35 pm
Actually, somewhere, way in the back of my memory banks, I seem to remember Craven saying that A2K will always be free to members.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:43 pm
That was on the subscriber's forum, back in September 2003:

Craven de Kere wrote:
... And I certainly will not ever make this a site available only to subscribers. The basic access will always be free. ....
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:51 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
I have a question about subscriptions, which I think falls under the banner of helping A2K.

I see a monthly subscription for $6-which is $72 a year.

I see a 3 month subscription for $15-which is $60 a year.

Clearly, the principle of wholesale pricing for bulk is applying here.

How about a $50 one year subscription for the "let's get it over with" crowd? Might prove popular, especially around Christmastime. Maybe even have gift subscriptions members can give to each other.

Is this not talking about this site?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:56 pm
There used to be a subscription option.

Some people paid a subscription fee.

Most didn't.

The subscription option hasn't existed since sometime last year.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:01 pm
Should that not be removed then?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:03 pm
It seems that I keep coming across outdated posts. I have no idea they are outdated so I figure they are still in effect.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:03 pm
Click on premium services at the bottom left of the page

Quote:
Able2Know.com Subcription
Well, the first idea (running the site on peanut butter) didn't work (ever seen fat hamsters?) so Able2Know has introduced an optional subscription. Subscribers receive access to the Able2Know Subscribers forum and access to the chat room. While the subscription is sure to make you the most popular person in your city it won't give you special treatment on the boards. :-( The use of the chat room is subject to the computer setup you run and is simply a bonus provided as is to the Subscriber's Forum members. As this is a service payments are nonrefundable.

SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILAVLE

~~~~~~

not sure how they'd be able to remove something that's unavailable
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:26 pm
Reeding iz gud.
0 Replies