What you can do to help Able2Know

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 11:55 pm
I think it's a good idea. Thing is, right now that is doormant while I find a way to automate the process. I don't get around to processing them as quickly as I have in the past and don't want to promote them in any way untill I implement automation of the subscription process.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
Help A2K
Love the list with CONCRETE things to do...I know I'm late, but I had just asked the question...and lo, in the East there was a star...no that wasn't it...anyway, I came across the thread.
0 Replies

sunshine9

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:19 am
i don't know if anyone will recieve this message but.... i have joined your Able2know.com group and i cannot find the replies i sent to a few lovatts crossword enquiries from people needing help apart from that what do i have to do to be accepted into your chat room as a member
joining this group is not easy and i have just about given up
regards
capricorn [email protected]
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:40 am
your posts can be found by clicking on your username:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/search.php?search_author=sunshine9
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:06 am
I've been a regular on several dozen popular boards, but this one is the laggiest draggiest of all. Lose all the crappy ads and dragalongs, or lose all those that don't have high-speed broadband.

Ciao.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:48 pm
Builder--

A2K is undergoing major renovation right now.

Why don't you check back in a few months?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:52 pm
I'm sooooo looking forward to the plumbing being fixed in this place. I'll even volunteer to help sweep up the sawdust and the leftover plaster.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:05 pm
I hear and will obey!

x <<< can I still use my trade mark kiss, or does it look 'ugly'?

x
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:16 pm
Don't you DARE lose that trademark kiss!

It makes you quite unique, apart from that one with the spangly earrings, that is.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:38 pm
Builder wrote:
I've been a regular on several dozen popular boards, but this one is the laggiest draggiest of all. Lose all the crappy ads and dragalongs, or lose all those that don't have high-speed broadband.

Ciao.

Hmmm...I have dial up, yet I persist.

Must be a crappy, daggy, draggy, Bunny.

Did I say grrrrrrrr?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:54 am
Plumbing upgrade, system tweaking, and still I've got this shaking bouncing graphic telling me I've won some ****, and I'd better click the link before time runs out. D'uh.

I like this board. Hate the ads.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:43 am
Builder- Welcome to A2K! Yes, this is a great board. It is run on a shoestring, and the income that the developers of this board get from the ads is what keeps the site afloat.

I don't like ads either, but I know that they are necessary. I simply have learned to tune them out!

Would you rather have to pay a large fee to use this forum?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
Firefox has an adblock plugin.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:29 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Builder- Welcome to A2K!

Thanks. Happy to be here.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Yes, this is a great board.

I like the layout, but it sometimes takes a long time for a post to appear. What gives with that ****?

Phoenix32890 wrote:
It is run on a shoestring, and the income that the developers of this board get from the ads is what keeps the site afloat.

I never get this argument. A text-based BB run on tried and tested software runs up huge bills for server traffic? It does not compute.

Freeby forums are everywhere. Invisionfree hosts thousands of them.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't like ads either, but I know that they are necessary.

Sorry, but I see them as a repellent.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I simply have learned to tune them out!

Some of them you can right-click and stop them from looping.

I'll never get used to them.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Would you rather have to pay a large fee to use this forum?[/color][/b]

I can use any forum I choose. I happened upon this one from a google search, and If I had to pay to post here, you wouldn't be reading these words now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:40 am
Builder wrote:
I can use any forum I choose. I happened upon this one from a google search, and If I had to pay to post here, you wouldn't be reading these words now.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch". Having to look at ads is the price we pay to use this forum.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:04 am
Quote:
I like the layout, but it sometimes takes a long time for a post to appear. What gives with that ****?

Builder,

Craven de Kere -- the developer of the site -- never envisioned that A2k would grow to over 65,000 members.

since the software can no longer handle the load, there are periodic delays.

besides, the poor hamsters are running as fast as they can...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:17 am
Quote:

Region- So THAT'S what the peculiar noise in my computer was! Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:25 am
Builder wrote:

Quote:
I'll never get used to them.

With 21 posts to your name...

You didn't exactly give yourself time!

x
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:29 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:

Builder,

Craven de Kere -- the developer of the site -- never envisioned that A2k would grow to over 65,000 members.

since the software can no longer handle the load, there are periodic delays.

I think more of a load factor than however many members is a database saddled with something on the order of 2.5 Million posts - many of which are quite lengthy - spread across scores of thousands of topics among 60-some-odd discrete forums. Aside from that, the site gets many thousands of hits, typically with several pageviews each, and averages well over a thousand posts, every day - quite the bandwidth load. Sure there are lotsa forums out there on lotsa templates that haven't the problems that plague A2K - however, not too many forums, whatever their template, have A2K's traffic, interactive or otherwise. A2K is pretty much a victim of its own success.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:34 am
Ahem...

smorgs wrote:

Quote:
I'm sick of being a seasoned member now...

I've earned my stripes, don't you think?

Two years of postings and I'm still only seasoned.

It's snot fair I've never caused any trouble, always behaved with the utmost decorum, always posted quality, thought provoking stuff - 'are wooden spoons unhygienic' for example.

I think the Mods should consider the member as a whole, not just the number of posts. I'm going to start a petition!

It's quality, not quantity!

x

Still waiting for an answer...

x
0 Replies