Family Guy

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 12:57 pm
(slowly raises hand)
I dont find it too funny either..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
You are probly watchin the Texas version, and it doesn't tranlate well....

Try Hank Hill.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:47 pm
JPB wrote:
dlowan wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
dlowan wrote:

It can probably be assisted with training.

Tell you what, I'll give it another shot. Maybe I watched a bad episode.

Well, I HAVE successfully taught someone to understand The Far Side...it was a long and arduous job, but I did it.

Well done, deb! Many moons ago during the early days of our long distance relationship, Mr B would read me The Far Side over the phone. I married him anyway.

You know, I do value it as a great achievement. It was a workmate, who used to moan pitifully "I don't get it!" when everyone was laughing at The Far Side. The whole team said I couldn't do it...after all, who can explain humour? However, slowly, daily, we got there! Now she's an aficionado. And he's stopped creatinhg 'em. So it goes...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
(slowly raises hand)
I dont find it too funny either..

That's fine. No need to raise hand slowly.

You haven't got all steamed up about it, and foamed at the mouth, and crapped on people.

Peoples be different.

It's that goddam Stewie and the dog I love.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:00 pm
Ahhhhh

I do have to admit that I get a real kick out of Stewie..

But other then that no.
I have had my rabies shot.

No foaming here. Smile
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:48 pm
Family Guy and Futurama are two of the best ever....The Far Side was top notch as well, I believe I have Larsons entire collection...I think I'll dig them out and enjoy them again....been several years since I looked at them. I also like Monty Python, the Marx Brothers....mainly Groucho of course.....Red Dwarf, The Young Ones...etc

I don't know how much political mindedness effects our comedic choices...I'm sure someone has done a study....at first thought I would assume it does, meaning that conservative types are not known to be overly giggly. I'm not, I'm a pretty reserved person, kind of a hardass about most things, but I also love to laugh...the more clever the joke the better...and most of the time I can set aside my rigidness to enjoy the lighter things...shut off the dead logic and let the abstract in. My mother, who is very liberal minded, did not get Larson at all, but like Dlowan's friend, after some coaching she eventually grasped what he was doing....and it wasn't just the Far Side, other jokes of that vein normally tend to go over her head as well.

Out of curiosity, cj what do you like, or what do you find funny....perhaps you might enjoy Family Guy better if you knew that Quagmire is a parody of Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:18 pm
I just watched the new episode and found it to be f'n hilarious. Liked the high school kid at the lake...

Well if you don't find one thing funny, so what?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:52 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Family Guy and Futurama are two of the best ever....The Far Side was top notch as well, I believe I have Larsons entire collection...I think I'll dig them out and enjoy them again....been several years since I looked at them. I also like Monty Python, the Marx Brothers....mainly Groucho of course.....Red Dwarf, The Young Ones...etc

Ah, we appear to have the same sense of humour, 2Packs. I also like South Park - big smile -

Did you ever see The Big Lebowski?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:05 pm
South park is the best !
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:12 pm
You're out of your element, Donnie!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:20 pm
I'd say!

http://thegreatgeekmanual.com/images/links/august/the-far-side-comic.jpg
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:05 pm
I liked South Park for a bit, but they tend to go too far for my taste...more 6th grade humor than clever, but yeah I have about 300 soundbites from that show on my computer, mostly Cartman...it has its merits.

The Nihilists in the Big Lebowski were hilarious....it's an odd movie that a lot of people don't appreciate, and I'll admit that the first time I watched it I lost interest and ended up mostly listening to it than watching, I think I started working a jigsaw puzzle. But I've watched it again since then...when he ran into the dumpster with his car...that's about as slapstick as you can get, but the visual hit me so hard that I actually laughed and giggled for several minutes after....maybe because the way the car bounces...I don't know. And when Dude was telling about the nihilists, and his buddy kept calling them Nazi's, he was so serious in making the point that they were not Nazis.

"Nobody F's with the Jesus"

Since this is cj's thread, and about a good of a place to say it....as a "righty" I've always been at odds with most actors political outlooks, I may love the characters they play, and have a great fondness for their films...but two minutes on a talk show, especially a political talk show and I usually have to turn the channel. I really don't want to know all that, I don't think it's important, nor do I see why anyone else would want to hear what an actor...someone that gets paid...very, very well....to pretend to be someone else, has to say about anything besides films. Nothing in that job makes them particulary astute in anything other than reading a script and taking direction properly....stand here, look mad, say this.

Celebrity Jeopardy springs to mind, most of the questions {answers/clues} are easier than the ones they give the kids...and they still bomb. Not all of them of course, some are fairly intelligent folk, and they would have succeeded in whatever career they went into. I believe Cheech did quite well on Jeopardy one year? It's the ones that garner great admiration from fans, simply because they are famous that irk me.

Most of the creator/writers of the animated series that I admire so much are the same...in the shows at least, they do tend to poke fun at all sides, and I can laugh at myself and those like me just as much as when they take a shot at Al Gore. But when it's flashed on the news that so-in-so donated 2.5 million to the...Save the Oregon Blue-Eyed-Humpbacked Fly Foundation....I squirm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:16 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I just watched the new episode and found it to be f'n hilarious. Liked the high school kid at the lake...

Well if you don't find one thing funny, so what?

There's A NEW EPISODE???!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:23 am
Stewie: "I think, given that scenario, that I'd rather be the parking space."

Brian: "I've suspected as much."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:37 am
patiodog wrote:
Stewie: "I think, given that scenario, that I'd rather be the parking space."

Brian: "I've suspected as much."

Yes....Stewie is gay.

He's a gay baby...........who resembles Rex Harrison spookily...except for that weird football head.

You can see why he is irresistible.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:25 am
watched a couple episodes last night.
good stuff...
0 Replies

IknowIknow

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:39 pm
I think its pretty funny
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
South park is the best !

I agree! Southpark deals with issues that Family Guy wouldn't dare touch.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 09:27 am

found one of these on the front lawn this morning --

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BIG-LARGE-JUMBO-THE-CLEVELAND-SHOW-FAMILY-GUY-PLUSH-STUFFED-ANIMAL-TOY-DOLL-28-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/$T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEyliUBQY62bqHsQ~~60_35.JPG

that is all...
Sturgis

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 02:34 pm
@Region Philbis,
Just glad he got himself dressed again after his unfortunate incident (caused of course by Peter Griffin)

Family Guy I watch at times, it's easy to handle warped humor. Tried to watch the spinoff Cleveland, and it didn't make any sense.

0 Replies