3
   

Ron Mueck sculptures......how do you react?

 
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:21 am
farmerman wrote:
Thats the point deb. You may find his work disturbing but the artist in us all wants to understand how it was done.

We cast fossils in silicone in the field so they retain the smallest of details that can be saved as casts. Another thing I got from CJ's great flick was how like the process was to building a fiberglass boat except witna thousand percent more detail.

I was really blown away with the flick CJ. I sat here with my coffee early on a SUn AM . Really neat stuff.
This is why Ill always stick with A2K, you never know what someone is gonna come up with and how everyone pitches in to help us learn. I tell ya, that flick was like a CEU in the human form.


CEU?????



I agree totally about the great film, Farmerperson.


Roberta wrote:
I took some sculpting classes with clay many years ago. One the one hand it was tremendously enjoyable. On the other, it was very frustrating. I enjoyed forming things with the clay. Molding, shaping. The frustration was that I could never get things to be the way I wanted them to be. Tried other forms. Always the same problem. Liked the activity. Lacked the skill. Couldn't get past the latter to enjoy the former.

I wish you well, Deb, if you decide to pursue it.



Oh, not having the talent is frustrating all right....sigh.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:25 am
CEU= Continuing Education Unit. (Sorry, jargon)

I will not use jargon on A2K
I will not use jargon on A2K
I will not use jargon on A2K
0 Replies
 
mismi
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:31 am
Unbelievable how life like these people are....the scale is overwhelming. I would really love to see these in person. I just can't get over how very life-like they are. My friend in England sent me a picture of one of them standing in front of one of his works at the Mall...I had to IM her and ask her if it was a real woman....love it!
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:31 am
farmerman wrote:
CEU= Continuing Education Unit. (Sorry, jargon)

I will not use jargon on A2K
I will not use jargon on A2K
I will not use jargon on A2K


Lol! I have no problem with jargon...as long as people are happy to explain it!
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:05 am
mismi40 wrote:
Unbelievable how life like these people are....the scale is overwhelming. I would really love to see these in person. I just can't get over how very life-like they are. My friend in England sent me a picture of one of them standing in front of one of his works at the Mall...I had to IM her and ask her if it was a real woman....love it!


Oh? Any way you might still be able to post that photo?
0 Replies
 
Francis
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:27 am
I 'ear you:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/ear.jpg
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:36 am
here's a video:


SMH Video


Sli9de show...if link works


Aargh....only a few of those slides are Mueck! Round about No. 130 to 136, I think.
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:55 am
Stunning how precise and perfectly natural Mueck's sculptures are,
right down to the 3 day beard, and the slight goose bumps on the pregnant
woman's behind. The detail work is the most remarkable for me.

deb, on your last video here, it's nice to see the reaction of the viewers,
how intense they observe, especially the last 2 guys looking at the
newborn with mother. Funny!

Like mismi, I'd love to see one of his exhibits.
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:04 am
farmerman wrote:
Thats the point deb. You may find his work disturbing but the artist in us all wants to understand how it was done.

We cast fossils in silicone in the field so they retain the smallest of details that can be saved as casts. Another thing I got from CJ's great flick was how like the process was to building a fiberglass boat except witna thousand percent more detail.

I was really blown away with the flick CJ. I sat here with my coffee early on a SUn AM . Really neat stuff.
This is why Ill always stick with A2K, you never know what someone is gonna come up with and how everyone pitches in to help us learn. I tell ya, that flick was like a CEU in the human form.


I wish I could get my CEUs like this, would make it a hell of a lot more
interesting. Watching the flick, I thought what a shame it was that the
original clay mold was destroyed in the process. He did make a smaller
model with Silicon, but I had not seen any scaling to make the larger
model. Usually that's done with a computer as it's so hard to get the
proportions right on a larger model, but Mueck seems to be a true
genius in his own right, especially being self taught.
0 Replies
 
mismi
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:26 pm
dlowan wrote:
mismi40 wrote:
Unbelievable how life like these people are....the scale is overwhelming. I would really love to see these in person. I just can't get over how very life-like they are. My friend in England sent me a picture of one of them standing in front of one of his works at the Mall...I had to IM her and ask her if it was a real woman....love it!


Oh? Any way you might still be able to post that photo?


http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/misimi40/humongowoman.jpg

Victoria Train Station -London England..
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 03:19 pm
C J (as opposed to cj). I too was wondering about the scaling process. That was completely skipped over. Iwonder if he had huge calipers and did it that way. Ive seen computer scaled models and they have a habit of exaggerating any minor errors.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:28 pm
mismi40 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
mismi40 wrote:
Unbelievable how life like these people are....the scale is overwhelming. I would really love to see these in person. I just can't get over how very life-like they are. My friend in England sent me a picture of one of them standing in front of one of his works at the Mall...I had to IM her and ask her if it was a real woman....love it!


Oh? Any way you might still be able to post that photo?


http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/misimi40/humongowoman.jpg

Victoria Train Station -London England..




Alice in Wonderland...in the house!!!!!!!!


Oh my!!!!!
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:43 pm
Remarkable. I've never seen anything to compare it to.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 02:56 pm
The work is amazing. But I'm not only impressed by the "realism" (actually there is artistically meaningful distortion--which subtly departs from mere replication). A superficial "realism" would only reflect his craftsmanship and that might very well be boring after the first few startling minutes. But the message/CONTENT is what moves me in both the aesthetic visual and literary poetic senses. But what else could we expect of the son-in-law of Paula Rego?
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 03:30 pm
Fascinating. I, too, love the imperfect models. But, the eyes. Man! I love the eyes.

In the slide shows, I was amazed to see the years for each sculpure. Talk about productive. Imagine how much he must love doing this. And, how exciting it must be to come up with a new angle/idea. I can imagine it becoming obsessive, wanting to have a finished piece.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 06:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:
The work is amazing. But I'm not only impressed by the "realism" (actually there is artistically meaningful distortion--which subtly departs from mere replication). A superficial "realism" would only reflect his craftsmanship and that might very well be boring after the first few startling minutes. But the message/CONTENT is what moves me in both the aesthetic visual and literary poetic senses. But what else could we expect of the son-in-law of Paula Rego?



Details????
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 06:26 pm
I love this stuff. At first I thought he was the guy who did the weird human/creatures that were very realistic -- I remember one that was vaguely meerkattish. Maybe it is him, but I looked up stuff of his and didn't see what I was looking for.

The kid and I watched the whole video (cjane's link, of the pregnant woman), so fascinating. We both loved it.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:23 am
Dlowan, I refer to such "imperfections" as those noted by Squinny, not the least of which are the dimensions. These are unrealistically large human figures.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:43 pm
They're also ever-so-slightly cartoonish -- I'm thinking of his own self-portrait here (the sideways head), less so with the pregnant lady for example. A bit of exaggeration of "interesting" parts (nose, ears, eyes).
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
They're also ever-so-slightly cartoonish -- I'm thinking of his own self-portrait here (the sideways head), less so with the pregnant lady for example. A bit of exaggeration of "interesting" parts (nose, ears, eyes).


Ah...and the little Pinocchio.


I was reading about him in an Australian art magazine on the weekend.


Apparently his mother inserted the little Pinocchio boy into one of her own exhibitions.....
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/19/2019 at 05:47:29