H2O MAN

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:10 am
susanr27 wrote:

Do you happen to know about their warranty and whether it is a limited lifetime or is it a certain about of years?

I found THIS, but you should contact your local dealer for specific details.
0 Replies

Edward341

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 10:04 pm
@susanr27,
OK well first of all let me make one thing clear.. I am a former employee of both rainsoft and GE Avantapure.. As far as it goes for the water quality the avantapure has in comparison of that to the rainsoft has to offer, it isclose to the same. The avantapure may have a lead by 10%. But, the avantapure is about 30% more efficient and saves you a lot of money in long run, maintenance cost can be very expensive , simply because of maintenance and common knowledge on how water filtration works... Unlike the rainsoft, the avantapure is configured with four stages of filtration as apposed to the rainsoft's two. The rainsoft piece of equipment has an ion exchange resin, and carbon, with a common fleck** Fleck is a the type of plumbing piping, and overall internal functions that a water softener has. Which is also found in 90 percent of any other type of whole house water purification systems. GE has their own. Now, carbon removes chemicals like chlorine, tetracycline, and such, while and ion exchange removes your dissolved solids and such, therefore making the water zero soft and 98.6% contaminant free. . The avantapure has both of the above but it also kdf and garnet.. Let me give you some information on how this works.. Carbon, removes chlorine and other chemicals, but by doing so it deteriorates, therefore making it necessary to change. The avantapure also has kdf and garnet in it. remember.... Kdf is a copper chrome alloy which removes chlorine and other chemicals effectively, which means that the carbon doesn't have to be replaced, or stressed as much. The garnet is used to control water turbidity, many people dont know about this including the sales man or so called managers of " rainsoft " So, because the carbon isn't used to remove the chemicals, rather than having to enhance taste like is original purpose, it never has to be replaced.. thats the most significant difference between the avantapure and rainsoft. Also, rainsoft uses the fleck, as the avantapure uses its own piping and it is reversed, for cleaning purposes.. it only cleans the part of the filter that has been in used as in comparison to the rainsoft that cleans itself when ever it feels.. A rainsoft, or any other water softner cleans, or or rejuvenates itself when the programmer tells it to.. the avantapure analyzes your water and does so accordingly.. When you go out of town. It goes in stand by mode.. Not rejuvenating when it does not need to, Unlike any other filter that would waste your salt and water when it is unnecessary it cleans itself accordingly to the water consumption in the family, also reducing salt usage by 60%..., but, when you have more water being used then originally programmed, it adjust itself accordingly as apposed to any other filter that is still on the same program.. So, if you have a kid, or someone move in, or an adjustment to the amount of people staying in your home, the average water softner will not clean itself accordingly, but will lead itself into malfunction.. Leading it to more maintenance. That is as simple as I can make it... Hope this information was helpful, this is my knowledge in the water business for 10 years, not a sales pitch....
royfl

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 08:37 pm
@Edward341,
Hello Edward,
Thanks for your great inputs. Avantapure 269 is the one with 4 stage filter correct?
srbfl
Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 10:59 am
@royfl,
The Avantapure is a softener with an Autotrol 269 control valve with a 463i timer. It is highly proprietary and only made by 7-9 distributors across the country and very few dealers sell it. It is a replacement for the Autotrol Technetic 1000. Back in the 1990s I sold both for about 5-6 years and quit due to problems with them.
royfl

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:30 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Just to make sure .. as of now there is only one Avantapure with 4 stage filter ..correct?
Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm
@royfl,
I don't see any mention of any type of filtering, the Avantapure is a water softener.

http://avantapure.com/avantapure/index.htm
royfl

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:11 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Gary ,my local dealer said so -
http://www.avantapurefl.com/4in1.html

Another question- what happens if I take a long shower at night when the softner is regenerating? I read it takes 2 hours.
Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:10 pm
@royfl,
Then you get hard water but how often are you showering between 2AM and 4AM? If you are, then change the time of a regeneration to a different time when you don't shower like 5AM etc..
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 05:24 am
@royfl,
royfl wrote:

Just to make sure .. as of now there is only one Avantapure with 4 stage filter ..correct?

I would never recommend a softener that mixes resins with carbon and especially with KDF. These media need to be replaced when they are exhausted. That means the resins need to be replaced also.

Garnet does very little filtering as that is not the purpose of using garnet.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
royfl

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:46 am
@Andy CWS,

dealer is saying since KDF helps in filtration ( does some of the work of the carbon media) you will never need to replace the carbon media.

Please comment.
Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
@royfl,
Then he is misinformed and you should find another dealer or buy a different softener.

And if I'm right with proportional brining in the Avantapure, you really don't want a heavy mineral like KDF.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:26 pm
@royfl,
royfl wrote:

dealer is saying since KDF helps in filtration ( does some of the work of the carbon media) you will never need to replace the carbon media.
Please comment.

Anone in the wter treamtent industry that says carbon NEVER needs to be replaced (or replenished) is either naive or is being deceptive. Carbon is an adsoption media and has a limited service life.

Yes, KDF can accomplish a few things that carbon can but, it too, would eventually need to be replaced. It is one of the heaviest media out there and will not backwash (lift) in the unit described. It will clump to the bottom and remain there, eventually becoming solid developing small channels for the water to travel though.

In short, avoid mixing resin and other media in the same tank. Again, garnet is NOT designed to act as a filtratation media.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
0 Replies

Davethewaterdoctor

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:29 pm
Avantapure is a Autotrol valve on a tank with a fancy plastic "Jacket" and a "BRAND NAME" STICKER on it with many different medias inside all thrown together! Any time you add KDF to a tank it is the heaviest of all medias and will fall to the bottom of the tank and prevent the backwash cycle from creating the "piston effect" which prevents adequate regeneration! KDF will need replacement after 2-5 years and will be imossible to do unless it is kept seperate from the other medias! You must replace all the media I.E. the resin, carbon, and Garnet to accomplish this and will cost around $600-$1000 bucks.

LEVEREDGE sells these system to guys wanting to be "DEALERS" who cant get a major manufacturer like EcoWater, Culligan, Kinetico, or Hague to give them a territory!

Why pay $3000-$5000 for an autotrol system WHICH IS THE CHEAPEST MOST PROBLEMATIC CONTROL VALVE ON THE MARKET! GE TOOK THEIR NAME OFF OF IT BECAUSE IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP! AND SOLD THE RIGHTS TO PENTAIR!

All you need is a CITY-WATER SYSTEM that has CARBON (Catalytic is the best either Jacobi or Centaur) and High Quality Ion-Exchange resin inside! Anything else thrown inside a tank will complicate things!
0 Replies

timothim

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:44 am
@susanr27,
Reverse osmosis or an ionic resin would be the ideal way to remove sodium from water, however I don't think there is a chemical that binds or sequesters sodium. All sodium salts are soluable in water, soluability rules say so.
good luck

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

0 Replies

Hatchtrick

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:32 pm
i would look into the hague watermax. The system is a multi chamber tank with a on demand reg. control valve. All the chambers in the tank are servicable. I think you have been "HAD" by your dealer and got locked into a big $$$ softener with no advantage over other brands. All the major brands have there own positive and negatives! I am a salesman for Hague and can truly say, they are overpriced, but they do have a nice chambered tank set up.
0 Replies

majeremiah

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 01:58 pm
@susanr27,
Susan,

We just met with WTS here in Virginia and got the sales pitch, but it also had a lot of useful information.

What I want to ask you is how much

Now I still need to ask exactly which model it is, but I cannot find anywhere that says how much I should spend.

I was quoted $6,000 (off the $7,500 list price). I know how salespeople work, they already did the "let me call my boss" routine. Regardless, I do see value in having the system and they will install it at another location if I move one time for free.

Does $6,000 sound like a lot. I know I should save on soap, electricity (via cleaner water in the water heater), etc. etc. It would take me a while to recoup the cost of my investment, but can you tell me how much you paid? Ballpark is fine if that is ok. And I can find out which model they are offering me.
I am one person in a townhome, and my girlfriend travels during the week so she's only there 3 days a week. So maybe I can get a small/less expensive one.

Bottom line is that I think I would like to buy one, but $6,000 seems like I am paying way too much.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

badlittlebit

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:54 am
@Gary Slusser,
I have been having a problem with mine it will purge but it is not using the salt I put in the tank. I have read the manual and it is not displaying any codes. I dont' know what to do, or what it might be. I am tired of calling a tech to fix the problems because they are charging alot of money and doing nothing to fix the problems. anything you can do to help will help.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:12 am
@badlittlebit,
Gary has been missing from this site for years...

Add some additional information and maybe someone that is active can offer assistance.
0 Replies

JEROME ISAAC

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:18 am
@susanr27,
Most door to door guys do sell a product that is proprietary and over priced. They tend to represent themselves as a "GE" dealer simply because GE may have manufactured one part of the system. Simply false advertisement. I agree that the CLACK WS1 system is a better buy. It's purchased locally and very easy to service. A money saver.
0 Replies

bargainlist

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 03:29 pm
@Edward341,
Can you help diagnose a resin problem with an Avantapure system? I'm at [email protected]
0 Replies