82 DIESEl mecedes in the winter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:23 am
I have an 82' 300D turbo. It runs on veg oil just great. I ran this car 8,000 this last summer around the USA. Just the other day it wouldn't start. The glow light came on but was dim and there was no turnover. I got the car jumped and drove it 1/2 hour before I parked it. It didn't start the next morning. If the battery worked after it jumped does that mean the the glow coils are fine? Oil was changed recently, the fuel filter is ok.

I am in the City, the temperature dropped to 10 degrees. Will the warmer wealther help? What is the chance that I have to replace the battery. When I tried to turn it over this morning the glow coil light came on just fine. What are the signs that the glow coils do not work properly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 634 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:36 am
Check your glow and heater circuits with an ammeter and see whether the battery is delivering the amps needed to warm up the fuel and plugs.
PS, while you can burn veggie oil, you should convert this to biodiesel first because you have all that glycerine in the veggie oil which isnt as self igniting as the diesel ester.

You should be able to see whether its the battery by putting the car in a warm garage overnight. If it starts nex AM, the battery is on the brink of failing, if it doesnt start at all, its way gone.
0 Replies