I need help identifying a painting....

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:56 pm
I have a painting that is at least 100 years old ....oil on canvas...a few holes in it but is a picture of a gentleman sitting at a table with a bottle of wine and a fishing creel..has on leggings and old hat.....
if someone can tell me how to post a picture will do....thx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,793 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:59 pm
Do you have it on your computer or on a website like imageshack or photobucket? (it needs to be on a website like those in order to be put into a jpg or gif format, a first step for posting it here). Flicker (flickr?) will probably work too, I don't know.
0 Replies

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:24 pm
i just put it on photobucket
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:35 pm
Now go to photobucket

Right click on the picture

Then click on properties

You'll see 'Address"

Copy the Address

Then come back to your post here and click the IMG link at the top of the page

A little box will come up, Paste your link or address into that

Be sure that you only have one "http:" in the window when you click to insert it into your post, or it won't work....

When your done, click submit...and waalaa.......you've posted a pic.
0 Replies

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:38 pm
I hate to sound stupid but where is the "img" at the top of the page.....I am on mac but dont see it....thx
0 Replies

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:43 pm
Re: I need help identifying a painting....
mydgolf wrote:
I have a painting that is at least 100 years old ....oil on canvas...a few holes in it but is a picture of a gentleman sitting at a table with a bottle of wine and a fishing creel..has on leggings and old hat.....
if someone can tell me how to post a picture will do....thx

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh243/mydgolf/DSC00624.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:58 pm
thx calamity jane
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:03 pm
I erased it again, since yours did show up Very Happy

Well, the painting has no signature and it is damaged. I don't think it's
worth much.
0 Replies

mydgolf

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:09 pm
thx..i just wondered if someone knew the approx date and country and possible artist etc.....i have no idea Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:22 pm
I suspect this is a priceless masterpiece! Art collectors from all over the world will be bidding for this! You will soon retire to a mansion in France with your millions and everyone wil talk about your good fortune!!!

Of course, I COULD be wrong...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
Humm, interesting. Sorry, but I don't know anything about it....

But, you need to look at the frame the canvas is stretched on, what type wood is it made from, what is the frame put together with.... (nails, tacks, staple gun)

That might give you a clue to the dating....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:20 pm
I don't know either way.

Lots of painters don't sign, or go through phases of signing or not. I'd prefer that to a false signature. Personally, I tend to hide mine, so as to not detract. Many wait until they decide the painting is done, and to some it's never done. Some may scrawl something on the back of the canvas or the side.

You may be able to tell some more by the nature of the canvas and the frame...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:35 pm
What makes you think it's 100 years old? Based on the style, I would say it was painted sometime between 1930-1955. Part of the clue is the picnic basket in the back, it's a Shaker weave, but not a Shaker creation. Mass market Shaker style products happened in the early-part of the 20th century and not before. I'm not a basket expert, so you can check me on that. Overall, it's not very good, you can tell by the painting of the ear and hands that the painter flunked Anatomy for Artist's 101. The perspective is also awkward and the linen lines of the table cloth (usually an easy representation) are clunky. I don't think anyone other than the painter's mother would recognize his/her name. I think it will cost you more to restore than the market value, unless the work has sentimental value.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:20 am
Not to mention the 1980's Sony Walkman he has in his bag. Or the Timberland boots. I suspect it's from 1989.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:18 pm
Good detective work, Green Witch, looking at the basket-weave pattern!

I, too, would date this work somewhere from 1930-1950. From the clothing and gear (except, maybe, for the champagne bottle), however, it looks as if the painter is echoing an earlier time (mid-to-late 19th century), when such genre scenes were hugely popular. Therefore, this may be an attempt at nostalgia.

In their original form, these paintings often were narrative. When you look at all the gear still in the fisherman's lap, he has apparently just returned from the trout stream. The wine is unopened, because he has been skunked. Had he caught fish, they would figure prominently in the picture.

The skill level is, alas, pretty low. However, it's also quite uneven, suggesting to me that some of the image (though NOT the ears) has been copied from a more professional work.

I concur that the conservator's bill for bringing this painting up to good condition would be much too steep for a work of this low quality. But it was fun to look at. So, thanks for asking about it.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:50 am
mydgolf wrote:
thx..i just wondered if someone knew the approx date and country and possible artist etc.....i have no idea Very Happy

Is there a signature?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:55 am
teenyboone wrote:
mydgolf wrote:

Is there a signature?

It least none is to be seen on the pic - so might be the address on the envelope is some help?

http://i28.tinypic.com/ohpnae.jpg
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:29 am
Good idea, Walter! The piece of mail doesn't fit the "narrative" of the painting, unless it's merely the folks back home, saying they miss the fisherman--and now, having caught no fish, he's ready to go back to more certain meals. Mail on the floor also seems out of place, and therefore attention-drawing, in this carefully built composition. Is the address legible? If so, it's possibly a clever/cute way for the artist to have signed his work. Is the postmark legible? If so, that might give us more information--quite possibly unreliable--about date and place. What is the denomination of the stamp? That, if discernible, might give a bracket of possible years for the original composition of which this painting is likely derivative.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
mydgolf wrote:

Is there a signature?

It least none is to be seen on the pic - so might be the address on the envelope is some help?

http://i28.tinypic.com/ohpnae.jpg

Walter,
I'm wearing tri-focals and the pixels showing up on the envelope look cloudy!
I too, have several framed portraits, that I picked up in a thrift store no less and one is valued at $500.00! I went into shock! The rest are $10.00 or more but more than I paid for them! I should put some of the stuff I have on Ebay, but I just haven't taken the time. If the portrait has some provenanance or other identifiers, i could help. I can't see anything, though, that's legible.
Sharon Cool
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 11:35 am
Sorry Miklos,
Just recieved your message. Interesting, isn't it? I have some art knowledge, not a lot, but I can research it. Needs identifiers.

Miklos7 wrote:
Good idea, Walter! The piece of mail doesn't fit the "narrative" of the painting, unless it's merely the folks back home, saying they miss the fisherman--and now, having caught no fish, he's ready to go back to more certain meals. Mail on the floor also seems out of place, and therefore attention-drawing, in this carefully built composition. Is the address legible? If so, it's possibly a clever/cute way for the artist to have signed his work. Is the postmark legible? If so, that might give us more information--quite possibly unreliable--about date and place. What is the denomination of the stamp? That, if discernible, might give a bracket of possible years for the original composition of which this painting is likely derivative.
0 Replies