North American Phalanx

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:39 pm
I am searching for information on the North American Phalanx, especially the genealogy of Charles Sears, a founder. I believe I have exhausted all internet sources. Is there a research site or research group?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,051 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:36 am
I would suggest to you that you need learn how to do web searches. I'm not saying that to be snotty, i am really mystified as to how you can say you've exhausted the web.

I did a Google search on "North American Phalanx," and Google returned 40,300 results in .22 seconds. This Wikipedia article on the North American Phalanx was the number one result.

A search for "Charles Sears" returned 606,000 results in .38 seconds at Google. However, the name Charles Sears is a little too common, apparently, and i did not immediately see a reference to the North American Phalanx boy--i suggest that the common name Charles combined with the not uncommon surname Sears is too ambiguous for an easy search. I am certainly not going to look through 606,000 results to find for you what you are looking for.

So i did a search for "Charles Sears+North American Phalanx." Google returned 1680 results in .38 seconds. I'm not going to do all your work for you, so, go to a search engine (and i recommend Google) and put this in the search window:

Charles Sears+North American Phalanx

I cannot escape a suspicion that you are just jerking us around claiming that: I believe I have exhausted all internet sources. In fact, i suspect you may have gotten lazy and just dropped in here to get your work done for you.

If not, however, i strongly advise you, in all seriousness, that you do a web search on "web search techniques." It was so damned easy to find what you wanted that i really cannot understand why you didn't find it yourself.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:59 pm
I'm not so sure he was asking us to do his work for him as much as he was asking us if we knew off-hand of any groups that would know this sort of thing.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:22 pm
Setanta:
Oh yes you ARE trying to be snotty. Your message is pretty transparent. Either that or you have just become a grad student, or have received your MA and now want recognition for your achievements by mocking others. You want "standing" or acceptance from whoever you consider your "peers" to be, by intentionally insulting someone who is sincerely asking for help ("you are just jerking US around") - or you want to trumpet your (minimal) googling "abilities." You apparently prefer "easy searches" in your research. Congratulations on coming up with an answer in .22 seconds and .38 seconds!?! Who are you calling "boy" in your third paragraph?
When I said I thought I had exhausted the internet sources, that's exactly what I meant!! The internet is a large resource - a mine, so to speak. And I have printed out all or most of everything I found. I am as good an internet "surfer" as you are - perhaps better. I have been "mining" the internet for over a year, and it is now exhausted for my purposes. I have to move on to other sources of information. You obviously have never had the need for further information beyond Google.
Please save your hate and poison pen for someone else. I didn't ask for your pseudo-psychological evaluation that I am "lazy." I strongly advise you, in all seriousness, that you do a web search on "common courtesy." Your attempt to embarrass others is itself an embarrassment.
It was so damned easy to see that you have enough of your own problems that you should not be attacking persons asking for assistance. I just cannot escape a suspicion that you were unable to understand my post, and that you have an overwhelming need for recognition of your "superiority." If you hate requests for help, JUST DON'T ANSWER THE POST. Also -if you have even the smallest amount of courtesy or professionalism, I am requesting that you never post any of your "answers" or "advice" to anything I post.

own problems to solve before you begin attacking others.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:27 pm
Setanta:
Oh yes you ARE trying to be snotty. Your message is pretty transparent. Either that or you have just become a grad student, or have received your MA and now want recognition for your achievements by mocking others. You want "standing" or acceptance from whoever you consider your "peers" to be, by intentionally insulting someone who is sincerely asking for help ("you are just jerking US around") - or you want to trumpet your (minimal) googling "abilities." You apparently prefer "easy searches" in your research. Congratulations on coming up with an answer in .22 seconds and .38 seconds!?! Who are you calling "boy" in your third paragraph?
When I said I thought I had exhausted the internet sources, that's exactly what I meant!! The internet is a large resource - a mine, so to speak. And I have printed out all or most of everything I found. I am as good an internet "surfer" as you are - perhaps better. I have been "mining" the internet for over a year, and it is now exhausted for my purposes. I have to move on to other sources of information. You obviously have never had the need for further information beyond Google.
Please save your hate and poison pen for someone else. I didn't ask for your pseudo-psychological evaluation that I am "lazy." I strongly advise you, in all seriousness, that you do a web search on "common courtesy." Your attempt to embarrass others is itself an embarrassment.
It was so damned easy to see that you have enough of your own problems that you should not be insulting persons asking for assistance. Solve your own problems before attacking others I just cannot escape a suspicion that you were unable to understand my post, and that you have an overwhelming need for recognition of your "superiority." If you hate requests for help, JUST DON'T ANSWER THE POST. Also -if you have even the smallest amount of courtesy or professionalism, I am requesting that you never post any of your "answers" or "advice" to anything I post.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:35 am
Possibly this link may lead you to further texts. Possibly you have already explored these articals and references.

google scholar
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:58 pm
Re: North American Phalanx
Woollcott wrote:
I am searching for information on the North American Phalanx, especially the genealogy of Charles Sears, a founder. I believe I have exhausted all internet sources. Is there a research site or research group?

This statement does not for a moment suggest that you had found any information online, but only claimed that you had exhausted online resources. I am not a graduate student, nor a recent graduate. In fact, it has been more than 35 years since i was at university. When i wrote "us," i was referring to the people at this site who might have been inclined to read your thread, and perhaps respond.

Your inability to coherently explain what you've done so far, and what help you want now does not constitute evidence that i'm snotty, or that i'm on some kind of ego trip.

I assure you that you need worry no longer that i will post anything which will offend you. I've never enjoyed the company of jackasses, and tend to avoid them once identified.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:39 pm
Vengoropatubus:
Thank you for attempting to head off "Setanta's" vicious post. I've never seen anything quite like it. You were, of course, absolutely right. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:55 pm
Dadpad:
Thanks for the reference. I still check Google Scholar now and then, as well as Ingenta and EBSCO. I am about to take a chance with a "pay per copy" - Questia or High Beam. I think the expense will be horrendous.
0 Replies