Do you have a "Claim to Fame"?

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:57 pm
Reyn wrote:
Roberta wrote:
I didn't think to mention that I've written a few books (which have been published). And that a thread I started on abuzz was published in the NY Times.

Well, very impressive! Fiction / non-fiction?

Two textbooks, one style manual.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:34 pm
ooh, forgot about relatives. My great-grandmother was a Macdonald -- as in Sir John A. -- not a really close relative though (she was a teetotaler Smile )
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:32 pm
Roberta wrote:
Reyn wrote:
Roberta wrote:
I didn't think to mention that I've written a few books (which have been published). And that a thread I started on abuzz was published in the NY Times.

Well, very impressive! Fiction / non-fiction?

Two textbooks, one style manual.

That's great, Roberta, I never knew.

My father is a retired college professor and he has had only one book published.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:23 pm
Quote:
I was interviewed by the local news about a tornado coming through my trailer park once. Well, it wasn't my trailer park - it was my papaw's. And it didn't really hurt the trailers but it did put a few cars from the junk yard in the sewer moat. I just told them it sounded like a freight train and was over before I knew it...

>LOL< Too Funny
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:18 pm
I had tea with Jackie Kennedy--and 500 other media-connected women.

I had tea with the Baroness Rothschild--and 26 other faculty members.

A bear came to tea in my back yard and ate all my birdseed. I forgave her. She was a nursing mother.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:29 pm
related to Grover Cleveland as previously mentioned, William shakespeare and Samuel Morse (my middle name).

Shared the stage with many famous and talented bands and musicians including James Brown, Peaches and Herb, the McCoys, Allman brothers, Dixie Dregs, Iron Butterfly, Van Halen and more....recorded with some of the Skynrd fellas and Atlanta rhythm section guys....partied with too many rockstars to count, which was big fun.

also when doing stand up had the privilege of opening for some incredibly funny and talented people, Steven Wright and Richard Jenni probably being my two favorites.

Shared my bed and life with squinney, which I consider a much more rewarding accomplishment than the couple of thousand who came before her.

I can twirl my penis in a circle using no hands.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
I can vouch for the latter.

As far as sharing bed and life with me being an accomplishment... Well, yeah, I'll go ahead and give him that one, too. I'm sure it wasn't easy. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:00 pm
no.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:01 pm
damn
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:01 pm
No. We live about a mile and a half apart. Still work together on event kinda stuff. Still share a cub. Still share a bottle of red now and then.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:05 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
A bear came to tea in my back yard and ate all my birdseed. I forgave her. She was a nursing mother.

This is the right answer, right? Laughing

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
also when doing stand up had the privilege of opening for some incredibly funny and talented people, Steven Wright and Richard Jenni probably being my two favorites.

I don't know who these folks are, but I'm sure if I say "good job", it will be warranted!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:11 pm
Bi-Polar Bear Wrote:
Quote:
related to Grover Cleveland as previously mentioned, William shakespeare and Samuel Morse (my middle name).

Neat....

Quote:
Shared the stage with many famous and talented bands and musicians including James Brown, Peaches and Herb, the McCoys, Allman brothers, Dixie Dregs, Iron Butterfly, Van Halen and more....recorded with some of the Skynrd fellas and Atlanta rhythm section guys....partied with too many rockstars to count, which was big fun.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

Quote:
Shared my bed and life with squinney, which I consider a much more rewarding accomplishment than the couple of thousand who came before her.

Sweet......

Quote:
I can twirl my penis in a circle using no hands.

Helicopter! Helicopter! >ha< :wink:
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:49 pm
Reyn wrote:
RP wrote:
yes, it's buried in a desk drawer somewhere at my folk's.
the Post photo is also there, framed and hanging...

I tell you what. You show yours, and I'll show mine (that was in the paper)! Laughing

sounds kinky -- it's a deal...

jes wrote:
I held 12 offices and won a regional award for chapter service.

don't forget the many Regional awards you've won...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:39 pm
Now THAT sounds kinky!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:22 am
Oh my. Embarrassed
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:56 am
worked for a human rights group and spoke english, thus i was often interviewed to give statements on racially motivated crimes etc., and organized events so i had my photo or was on TV news often enough back in the day. Also, from 6-15 years old I was in a theatre group and was called to TV to either sit as audience, or to moderate kid shows, later i did one year of a teenage show (a 2 hour block with music, short films, interviews, etc.)- once or twice a month.
I also had a two page spread with photos in a Slovak weekly, but that is none of my doing- the claim to fame there is my dad (it was and article about me and about another daughter of another illustrati), who held a number of high posts in politics, academia and non-profit world after the communism fell.
Oh, and there was also my time as the president of the gay and lesbian league of slovakia (for about a month or less) - i was their first president for we (the human rights group) helped them to organize and get to places in the parliament and government. that gave me a temporary fame, especially among my friends and led to a few articles, interviews and the like.
But, it's very easy to get air time or into the paper in Slovakia. It's but a larger village.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:39 am
I was in a music video. Forgot all about that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:17 pm
eoe,

that's not the kind of thing you just forget!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
What can I say? Rolling Eyes
It was many years ago and not a major artist.
0 Replies