Do you have a "Claim to Fame"?

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:21 am
My boasts:

My father is a professor. He had a book published and acknowledged me as the manuscript's first proofreader.

My younger brother was in the original version of "Rollins Band" and was the bassist for two of Henry Rollins' albums.

My 25 year-old daughter is a casting assistant for the television series "Without A Trace." She previously worked as a production assistant for the television series "Supernatural".

Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:16 am
wandeljw wrote:
My boasts:My 25 year-old daughter is a casting assistant for the television series "Without A Trace." She previously worked as a production assistant for the television series "Supernatural". Smile

I'll bet she gets all the scoop!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:08 pm
Re: no pele
alex240101 wrote:
I will share out of my treasure.
Mid nineteen seventys. Pontiac Michigan. The silverdome. Capacity:eighty thousand. Attendance:two to three hundred. Event: Div II A.S.L championship. Under three minutes left, the score is still zero-zero. Slide tackle, steal the ball, break down the left wing, pursuers hot on my heels, I let off a shot. To this day I haven't a clue where that strength came from, but, that ball soared about thirty five yards into the upper right corner of the net.

cool
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 01:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I attended a Conway Twitty concert, at a time when he would have attracted an audience of just three hundred ninety nine persons. My entrance rounded out the whole four hundred. (Shortly after that, he went from rockabilly to country, and expanded his fan base).

You were there in the early days then. Always interesting to see how someone gets their start.

makemeshiver33 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, thank you, please line up for autographs on my left here.

Awwww Reyn~ >swoooon< :wink:

I have sorted claims to fame, but my lawyer won't let me discuss them publicly.

Laughing You realize you're being a big tease, don't you? Enquiring minds would like to know!

Wy wrote:
First, when I first ordered an Egg McMuffin here in the states, it was served open-face, with a knife and fork and a packet of jelly. The idea was that you would eat the egg, bacon, and muffin with a knife and fork, and then put jelly on the other half of the muffin for "dessert"... Was it that way in Canada, Reyn?

On the Claim to Fame front, I was once roommates with Nina Blackwood (one of the original MTV V-Jays). She also plays the harp, which I loved to listen to when she practicedl.

Hi there! You know, I was trying hard to think about what you said about the McMuffin being served open-faced, and I believe it might well have originally been that way, but not sure about the jelly. I can remember using metal rings with handles on them to cook the eggs on the grill. seems like a million years ago.

I'm not familar with Nina Blackwood, but I'm sure others will know her.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I won 2nd prize (and $15-) in a national Chiquita Banana jingle contest when I was a kid. I thought that it was so special that I made my mother put the letter that told me that I had won the prize in her safety deposit vault at the bank! Rolling Eyes

Second prize? Alright!! I'm sure that made quite an impression on you when you were young.

Region Philbis wrote:
1985 was my CtF year, and i can thank frisbee for it.

• the NY Post published a photo of me playing in central park
• a friend wrote a piece for Games Magazine, and a photo i took was used in the article

Very Happy Nice! Did you keep the photo?

vid wrote:
My claim to fame is that I won a poetry reading competition at school.

Did you keep the poem? Maybe you can post it for us. :wink:

Rockhead wrote:
I won my school spelling bee in 4th grade, and represented at a citywide competition.

Spelling, huh? Yeah, I was good at spelling when I was younger, too, but never entered any contests. Well done!

eoe wrote:
Actually, I do have a claim to fame. Back in 1988, as an advertising art director, I was running through a stack of headshots from this dinky little modeling agency and ran across a very pretty girl [...] Halle Berry [...]
(I had a hell of a time deciding which shot to use. The girl can't take a bad picture!!!)

Wow, no kidding! Interesting how you had a start in Halle Berry's career! I'm impressed!

alex240101 wrote:
[..] I let off a shot. To this day I haven't a clue where that strength came from, but, that ball soared about thirty five yards into the upper right corner of the net.

Nicely done!!

wandeljw wrote:
My boasts:

My father is a professor. He had a book published and acknowledged me as the manuscript's first proofreader.

My younger brother was in the original version of "Rollins Band" and was the bassist for two of Henry Rollins' albums.

My 25 year-old daughter is a casting assistant for the television series "Without A Trace." She previously worked as a production assistant for the television series "Supernatural". Smile

Redhot! Getting close to celebrity status. Laughing

------------------

Okay, I got a couple more I thought about.

When I was a kid, I sent a birthday card to Nikita Kruschev. His birthday was on the same day as mine (April 17th). I think our family was listening to a radio broadcast in the early 60s and was inspired to send him a card. It was never acknowledged, of course.

Also, I've had several letters to the editor published here in our local newspapers. One, last year about flooding here in the Fraser Valley, had a large historical photo attached to it and received a large, prominent title.

As well, I've had a photo of myself taking photos of flowers taken by our local newspaper photographer published in our paper here.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:20 pm
Family claims to fame:

My uncle made the first animated commercial (Muriel cigars) followed by Chiquita banana. He also was the animator of the opening for the Howdy Doody Show (cuckoo clock).

My cousin (other side of the family) was one of the designers of the lunar landing module.

My claims to fame:

I was the youngest person to have her OWN library card in the local branch of the library. (Most kids had cards with their parents.)

I was one of the youngest people to be elected to a particular public office. (20 years old. When I took office, I was 21.)

But lately, bupkis.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:39 pm
My family claim to fame:

My dad was the national champion for duckpin bowling.

My claim to fame (besides being a super hero):

I was the first born of the year in my hospital.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:59 pm
Linkat wrote:

My brother too, Linkat. January 1st !! Came in a couple of minutes after
midnight. The fireworks were still lighting up the sky. What an entrance!

As for me, I have no claim to fame, even living in southern California -
nothing has rubbed off. Cool
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:01 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Linkat wrote:

My brother too, Linkat. January 1st !! Came in a couple of minutes after
midnight. The fireworks were still lighting up the sky. What an entrance!

As for me, I have no claim to fame, even living in southern California -
nothing has rubbed off. Cool

That's funny. I was also born on January 1 (but at 4:00 in the afternoon -- no awards for that).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:03 pm
Im a Kellogg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
As in cornflakes???
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:06 pm
yes ma'am
though, obviously not close enough to the family for the money Confused
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:25 pm
Reyn wrote:
RP wrote:
1985 was my CtF year, and i can thank frisbee for it.

• the NY Post published a photo of me playing in central park
• a friend wrote a piece for Games Magazine, and a photo i took was used in the article

Very Happy Nice! Did you keep the photo?

yes, it's buried in a desk drawer somewhere at my folk's.
the Post photo is also there, framed and hanging...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:35 pm
Region Philbis wrote:

That sounds great. I know your parents were just too tickled. Mine sure would've been.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:23 pm
When I was 12 I attended an enriched class at a neighbouring rural school once every couple of weeks and always got back near the end of art class. The deal was, that in order to attend this class, I had to keep up with all my regular class work. By the end of the year I had somehow missed two art assignments and was given an "F" for the year. That same teacher had the nerve to submit a water colour I'd done to a local summer fair and I won! When he handed me the red ribbon in September I wasn't sure whether to thank him or deck him.

Thanks to djjd it was professionally framed and now it hangs in my foyer.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:46 pm
Family claims to fame, positive and negative:

My father holds several patents including as coinventor of the GFCI. If you don't know what a GFCI is, look in your bathroom. It's the plug with the black and red buttons that say test and reset.

My mother's family (her mother's side) was involved with Murder, Inc. in the '20s. This includes her uncle driving Abe Relles (a gangster who was a level or so below Meyer Lansky) to the Half-Moon Hotel, which is where he fell off the roof under mysterious circumstances. Dunno if my great-uncle did anything other than drive the car.

Personal claims to fame:

I won two scholarships in college, through my sorority, where I held 12 offices and won a regional award for chapter service. I also worked on the 1984 Biden Senate campaign and have met the Senator and his family, including his son, Joe, Jr. (called Beau) who is now the Delaware Attorney General or something high up like that. Beau had a face full of braces the last time I saw him.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:20 pm
Roberta wrote:
[...] He also was the animator of the opening for the Howdy Doody Show (cuckoo clock). [...]

[...]I was the youngest person to have her OWN library card in the local branch of the library. (Most kids had cards with their parents.) [...]

Hey, I used to watch the Howdy Doody Show. Nice little bit of trivia, thank you!

In regards to your library card, did the kids used to bug you because they were jealous?

"There goes that Roberta. She's so stuck up, just because she has her own library card." Laughing

Linkat wrote:
My claim to fame (besides being a super hero):

Did you get anything special from the hospital?

shewolfnm wrote:
Im a Kellogg

I knew there was somethin' about you..... :wink:

Region Philbis wrote:
yes, it's buried in a desk drawer somewhere at my folk's.

I tell you what. You show yours, and I'll show mine (that was in the paper)! Laughing

Tai Chi wrote:
When I was 12 I attended an enriched class at a neighbouring rural school once every couple of weeks and always got back near the end of art class. The deal was, that in order to attend this class, I had to keep up with all my regular class work. By the end of the year I had somehow missed two art assignments and was given an "F" for the year. That same teacher had the nerve to submit a water colour I'd done to a local summer fair and I won! When he handed me the red ribbon in September I wasn't sure whether to thank him or deck him.

Thanks to djjd it was professionally framed and now it hangs in my foyer.

That's a great story! Thanks!

jespah wrote:
I won two scholarships in college, through my sorority, where I held 12 offices and won a regional award for chapter service. I also worked on the 1984 Biden Senate campaign and have met the Senator and his family, including his son, Joe, Jr. (called Beau) who is now the Delaware Attorney General or something high up like that. Beau had a face full of braces the last time I saw him.

Wow! I'm impressed! Good for you!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:20 pm
Ted Williams taught me to fly cast.

I can cast a fly over the tallest building in Boston.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:23 pm
Sglass wrote:
Ted Williams taught me to fly cast.

I can cast a fly over the tallest building in Boston.

Laughing And just who is Ted Williams?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:26 pm
I think he played baseball. Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:29 pm
We have a Ted Williams Parkway out here, so I guess he must have
been famous.

I googled - he was the greatest hitter ever.

Way to go seaglass Very Happy
0 Replies