an acquired taste

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:03 pm
If you enjoy chicken livers, this recipe will knock your socks off. Go to the food network and look up Chicken Liver Pate:Terrine de Foies de Volaille.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:04 pm
What do I do with half a little packet of frozen chicken livers, besides toss it out?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:06 pm
Save up the chicken livers til you've got enough to make something fantastic.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:09 pm
Can't bring myself to eat liver or kidney. Don't dig filters.

Unless it's a mussel or a clam or an oyster or a scallop or an abalone or a conch. Mmmmmm......
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:11 pm
osso. Simply fry them in some bacon grease.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:18 pm
patiodog wrote:
Can't bring myself to eat liver or kidney. Don't dig filters.

Ditto, but I'll add any internal organ to your list. Ick ick ick!!!!!! Blech.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:31 pm
Thank you Mame and Patiodog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:32 pm
Hey, I'll eat tripe. I'm not weird or anything.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
What do I do with half a little packet of frozen chicken livers, besides toss it out?

That's what you should do with the full packet of frozen chicken livers.

But, like PD, I enjoy me some menudo.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:53 pm
Yeah, sounds delicious..

"Menudo is a wonderfully aromatic soup made of tripe, hominy and chili, and is stewed for hours with garlic and other spices. the broth is rich, red, papery, and glistens with fat. It stimulates the senses, arms the insides, and clears the head."

Let's all have a bowl of tripe and fat. Surprised
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:59 pm
Supposed to be good for hangovers, too. I wouldn't know.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:05 pm
Used to take my hangovers to the tacquerias on those too-bright Seabright mornings. Worked wonders. Salud, tico.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:11 pm
Mame wrote:
Yeah, sounds delicious..

"Menudo is a wonderfully aromatic soup made of tripe, hominy and chili, and is stewed for hours with garlic and other spices. the broth is rich, red, papery, and glistens with fat. It stimulates the senses, arms the insides, and clears the head."

Let's all have a bowl of tripe and fat. Surprised

The key is oregano. Lots of oregano .... and onions. Good stuff.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:20 pm
I love patè, but this Emeril has always had weird combinations of
food. A French patè is so much better...

Now about that mussel recipe - I forgot to give that somewhere...hm...
*chicken without head and livers*
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:14 am
crimbed Brains and bacon, lambs fry, steak and kidney casserole. My wife must love me very much 'cos she cooks em all for me.
Yumm

Cant come at tripe though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:24 am
A) the first dabs of chicken livers went into some recipe I posted here and forget.
B) memories of a soup with tripe, waves to Roberta... at a bistro in NY, their main dish. I did ok, but I was keen on the blueberry tarte later.
C) I've eaten kidneys once before, but also by friend the vietnamese chinese chef... ok, ok, I was not charmed, but then again, I'd already had a whole meal, that being described before on awk.

what was the question?

Meantime, I was visiting Dys and Diane and saw Emeril on tv.

You have got to be kidding. That man is a buffoon.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:12 am
Emeril got "bammed"
Go easy on Emeril. Yeah, he's commericialized. Made, molded, to what the audience enjoys. Back in the day, before he even started on television, he was a good, unique chef. On that subject, poor ole Rachel Ray. I enjoy seeing her take us to different places, but, never had a taste for her recipes.
CalamityJane-The two keys to that emeril pate recipe was, one, soaking the livers in milk, two, thyme. I never enjoyed thyme as much. The french certainly know their liver, but, this recipe from emeril really stands out. I never did make it to the pate stage of the recipe, like I stated before. If you enjoy livers, try sneaking a few sprigs of fresh thyme in a recipe.
Has anybody ever made chocolate chip cookies subsitutuing a third of the flour with powdered malted milk? Dough is made, maybe tonight.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:19 am
What alexnumerals said about Emeril.

The guy's a seriously good cook and chef. He brought a lot of people back into the kitchen. My understanding is that the U.S. food network has discontinued both Emeril and Mario's programming. It's a shame. They were two of the folks that really knew something about cooking. Lots of the foodie boards are discussing the loss of good cooks/chefs on the Food Network in the U.S., with a move toward food entertainment programming.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:22 pm
alex, marjoram has to be part of a patè, it gives it this distinct flavor.
Thyme is good, marjoram is better.

Well, I am not a fan of Emeril, not at all. I haven't seen the other
TV cooks, only him, and that was enough. His way of cooking is not
mine.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 06:25 am
ehBeth wrote:
What alexnumerals said about Emeril.

The guy's a seriously good cook and chef. He brought a lot of people back into the kitchen. My understanding is that the U.S. food network has discontinued both Emeril and Mario's programming. It's a shame. They were two of the folks that really knew something about cooking. Lots of the foodie boards are discussing the loss of good cooks/chefs on the Food Network in the U.S., with a move toward food entertainment programming.

They took off Mario?? He's one of the best. Dynamic combination of tradition and new. Tremendously knowledgeable. He's the only chef on the Food Network I still watch. I used to watch Emeril, but he got too goofy for my taste. Interesting approach to some foods, though.

I managed to find Lidia Bastianich on a Noo Joisey channel at 3 a.m. Very Italian traditional. Very imaginative. Lots of good info.
0 Replies