Nothing can shake my faith

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:20 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
If one puts their faith in human beings it will eventually be shaken and sometimes broken or completely lost. The Bible says to put our faith in God and not in man.

I disagree, Arella Mae, about human beings. I think that the problem is when we are not realistic in our dealings with other people, that we get smashed in the head. It is a childlike naivete that will cause some people to perpetually be disappointed by the actions of others.

Some people WISH and HOPE that their friends were wonderful, thoughtful, loyal and steadfast. Some people WISH and HOPE that their bosses were honest and even handed in their dealings with their staff. Some people WISH and HOPE that their partners are looking out for their best interests.

The fact remains, is that most people are not "100%", and everyone has their own agenda. If one bears that in mind in dealing with others, one does not become disillusioned when someone behaves in an unexpected way. In fact, the times of "unexpectedness" decreases the more realistic that one is.

As far as a god is concerned, that entire concept has no meaning for me. The Bible, fascinating as it is in its historical and cultural context, is not a source that I would go to for guidance, although it does bring up some relevent points.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:09 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I keep on hoping - I think - I must do because I have not attempted suicide. But often - I do feel that hope abandons me - at times - the thought of "I JUST CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE" "I DO NOT WANT TO FEEL ANYMORE" - those thoughts negate any faith or hope in any system or belief.

Izzie - It sounds like you have a particular, rather intense problem that is causing you a lot of grief. This thread is speaking in generalities. If you would like, you might want to start another thread where people can give you input as how to deal with your problem. We have a lot of wise people here with a wealth of life experience. Perhaps we can give you some ideas, or even help you sort out what is happening in your life.

Life has infinite possibilities. There are always better and more effective ways of doing things. The task is to identify the "bumps in the road" and learn ways to cope with them.

Sorry.

Didnt mean to threadjack...

Wouldn't know where to post under "not able to cope anymore" or "too much to deal with and nowhere to turn"

Have posted under medical about just one of my issues about Aspergers today. That is only one of the issues I am dealing with.

Posting here was about my faith tho, or lack of now - even tho I rambled on - the original question was about whats wrong with having your faith shaken - I guess my response in short is - what's right about it?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:19 pm
spendius wrote:
Join something lzzie and go with the flow. Think 12 months ahead.

Not sure what to join....

Just joined A2K hoping to talk to complete strangers who could give me some perspective which my friends and family are unable to do.

Talked to a priest - no answers there. That involves having FAITH

Can't go with the flow - not when my sons life is the issue.

Apolgies for posting in the wrong thread.

Thanku for responding tho.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:19 pm
Izzie- How about "Relationships and Marriage", if those are your concerns?
If the problem is medical, then the medical forum is the right place. If you are not sure, or if the issue crosses several categories, you can always use the "General" forum.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:23 pm
Izzie- To answer what's right about having your faith shaken, I would suggest that being "shook up" opens up many opportunities. One can use the trauma to reassess what is going on in your life, defining the issues, making a plan to make things better in your life, and acting on it.

Sorry that I can't be any more definite, but since I don't know what is happening that is distressing you so, I have no way to address your difficulty in particular.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:50 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
If one puts their faith in human beings it will eventually be shaken and sometimes broken or completely lost. The Bible says to put our faith in God and not in man.

Amen, sister! :wink:
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
JustBrook... Don't think you call advertise on Able2Know
Evil or Very Mad
AMEN- Men's Cologne Spray
(In stock)
An ultra clean & pure smell for men. Embraces you with a fresh, masculine sensation. Top notes of green tea & citrus. Undertones of spicy accord with ... More at StrawberryNET AU
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
Quote:

And when a loved one dies? Or is falsely imprisoned? Or contract terminal cancer, or involved in a severe car accident...where then are the guardian angels mentioned in Psalms?

Why is it that Christians suffer the exact same poportion of deaths, traumatic incidents that non christians do?

My question is - you can't have your faith shaken if there is nothing to put your faith in...what characteristics does God possess that are measurable?

Is he unmeasurable, and therefore unnaccountable?

Is he only responsible for the good, and not the bad? Or is he responsible for the good at all?

If he is unaccountable, then 'faith' can never be shaken. So then what value is there in faith?
0 Replies

onthestreet

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:16 am
anton bonnier wrote:
JustBrook... Don't think you call advertise on Able2Know
Evil or Very Mad
AMEN- Men's Cologne Spray
(In stock)
An ultra clean & pure smell for men. Embraces you with a fresh, masculine sensation. Top notes of green tea & citrus. Undertones of spicy accord with ... More at StrawberryNET AU

Hey boner, good points of doctrine there. If people are having sex, then their faith is already shaken. Then there is no pure smell for men, nor ultra cleanliness for women. The Altar of Incense involves the sacrifice of the flesh, not embracing it. Then you have the sweet incense of the mystical spices, and are accepted by the angels in "spicy accord", as you so well put it. Now, just get rid of the boner, and you'll do just fine.

Street
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:29 am
Watch this. It will shake your faith. Improve your understanding and give you nighmares.

ZEITGEIST
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:51 am
faith is entirely down to the individual.

whether it's faith in a religion, or in oneself, it is down to your own mind-set.

it can be shaken by fears and doubts, but to maintain it through these strengthens it.

if your faith is never shaken, it's not faith.
0 Replies

Atheist101

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm
How is it possible not to have ones faith shaken when one sees all the suffering it the world. If you can look at dying kids in africa and still believe in a benevolent God then you truly are... well I don't know. All I know is that I could not have a religion even if I wanted.
And don't bring all this BS up about God having a plan for all of us. That's just stupid. In your religion those little africans won't even go to heaven because they're not christian. So don't tell me you care The only true benevolent "religion" is Atheism
0 Replies