Nothing can shake my faith

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:27 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Find a chink in it, .

Racist.

I dated a girl named Faith. I shook the sh!t out of her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:35 am
Intrepid wrote:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Children hope and wish, adults plan, act and cope with life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:37 am
Faith is a belief without evidence.

Hope and Charity are those two sluts who live across the hall from Slappy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:40 am
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
shewolfnm- I don't think that what you wrote is insulting. But then again, we are on the same page with reference to faith.

I am not so sure that faith is entirely the lack of desire to question, although that is part of it. I think that fear of the unknown, and the desire for easy answers, is a greater motivation.

If fear of the unknown was a greater motivation then millions of people would be cowering under their beds. Faith has nothing to do with fear and more to do with desire to believe. Hope rather than fear is a major motivator.

Hebrews has a good definition of faith:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This would not be only pertain for a religious definition.

Isn't hope at times then wishing, or worse wishful thinking?

I don't see this definition applies to only things religious...don't we have faith/hope/wish/wish hopefully that our parents love us for instance?

How many times to we see/hear of children or even adults having this horrible faith that their abusive parents really do love them...hold out some helpless hope that some day things will be all right? They want so desparately to have a rock to cling to to completely go against reality.

Again, I don't mean to imply faith is always like this....but shouldn't faith be examined, and deemed worthy?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

And hope that they did these things correctly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:54 am
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

One of the traits of a mature person is the realization that they are fallible. The best that a person can do is to learn from mistakes and do better the next time. I would suspect that even the most mature of us will "hope" once in awhile, but hoping and wishing are not their typical modus operandi.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
Not suggesting they are, Phoenix. I love ya anyway. Smile
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
Quote:
Children hope and wish, adults plan, act and cope with life

Quote:
I would suspect that even the most mature of us will "hope" once in awhile, but hoping and wishing are not their typical modus operandi.

A point of contention. If you are familiar with imminently suicidal people, you will know that their abilities to cope have been overloaded, and they see no hope.

The way I see it, hope is an integral part of the human makeup. We get up in the morning, and hope that it will be a good day (does anyone hope it will be a bad day? Hope is inherently positive). We hope that our children will grow up, and be good people, we hope that we will always be loved etc etc. We can do a lot to facilitate these things, but in the end, they are just hopes - and dear ones at that.

We wish/want/hope to be treated with respect/given attention/listened to etc - and when that is broken, we become unhappy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
Faith is a belief without evidence.

Blind Faith made some really good albums, though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:24 pm
vikorr wrote:
A point of contention. If you are familiar with imminently suicidal people, you will know that their abilities to cope have been overloaded, and they see no hope.

I am quite familiar with people who are suicidal, as I was in the mental health field. Many people who are suicidal, are people who have not successfully become mature enough to cope with the negative things that are happening in their lives.
I say many, because some people who are suicidal, have rational reasons for wanting to thed their lives, like downwardly sprialing incurable disease.

Quote:
The way I see it, hope is an integral part of the human makeup. We get up in the morning, and hope that it will be a good day (does anyone hope it will be a bad day? Hope is inherently positive). We hope that our children will grow up, and be good people, we hope that we will always be loved etc etc. We can do a lot to facilitate these things, but in the end, they are just hopes - and dear ones at that.

Yes, from the standpoint that you have statement, you ARE correct. That is not the kind of hope of which I am referring. If a person hopes that he will get ahead in his profession, when he has done little to earn it, that is the sort of hope that I am addressing.

If a person hopes that his horse will win the race so that he will be able to feed his family, that is wishful thinking, and no different that the kind of hope a child would have when he hopes that Santa gives him all that he has wished for.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:48 pm
Know a someone who was church of England and changed to 7th day adventist... stopped going to the footy on Saturday, eating pork, prawns, and the drinking alchol... lost all his mates so became a atheist has no faith in religion but plenty for his mates... Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:29 am
Reasonable expectation is not faith.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
Sometimes, the problem with having your faith shaken is that if the person who's doing the shaking is someone you love and trust.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:31 am
Don't know how to multiquote - so please bear with me -
Chai wrote:
So, what's wrong with having your faith shaken?

Isn't one of the results developing a new understanding?

What happens tho when you try hard, so hard to believe in what you are doing - for your kids, your family, your friends and for yourself - and no matter how hard you try to understand - it doesn't come good?

What happens when you get to the point where you really feel you can't take any more.....

they say - whoever "they" is - that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

they say - you are not dealt something that you don't have the power within you to cope with and learn from

but when what you believe in, have faith in - whether it is religious / spiritual / medical - when what you try to have faith in - when it is shaken constantly and there is no light at the end of that tunnel - how do you develop that understanding?

Yh - I'm all over the place as you can tell. Thoughts would be good tho if anyone can straighten out the threads in my head!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Faith has to do a lot with trust, with confidence.

I think, children-parent-relationship is a good example where faith works - and can be shaken up.

This I would like to agree with - but what happens when the faith the parent puts into doing the right thing by their child to keep them safe and protected - destroys the faith that the child then has in the parent because their mental capacity does not have, nor will probably ever have the ability to understand.

The emotional destruction of a childs faith - emotional and otherwise - surely then makes the parent question whether or not their faith in everything they believe in, is correct. If the parent cannot understand and develop because their faith is shaken, as is mine, - how do you accept what is being thrown at you - time and time again.

What happens when you no longer believe in yourself or have faith in yourself. How can you parent the child.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

One of the traits of a mature person is the realization that they are fallible. The best that a person can do is to learn from mistakes and do better the next time. I would suspect that even the most mature of us will "hope" once in awhile, but hoping and wishing are not their typical modus operandi.

Being mature, therefore fallible - can destroy everything and then it is too late. Learning from the mistakes - if you have had faith in what you have been told by so called experts, professionals, etc etc and act on this information for the greater good of your child - then when it all goes t*ts up, and the suffering is apparent - even tho you acted in what you believed was correct at the time - how can you do better next time. If you don't have faith - then you can it wrong. If you do have faith - you can get it wrong. I have done both. Which one am I supposed to learn from. I'm not learning - I struggle to get through each day not knowing what is right and what is wrong. Sometimes - not to get up again would be a whole heap easier.

Where's my faith when I need it?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
vikorr wrote:

I am quite familiar with people who are suicidal, as I was in the mental health field. Many people who are suicidal, are people who have not successfully become mature enough to cope with the negative things that are happening in their lives.
I say many, because some people who are suicidal, have rational reasons for wanting to thed their lives, like downwardly sprialing incurable disease.

Quote:

Yes, from the standpoint that you have statement, you ARE correct. That is not the kind of hope of which I am referring. If a person hopes that he will get ahead in his profession, when he has done little to earn it, that is the sort of hope that I am addressing.

If a person hopes that his horse will win the race so that he will be able to feed his family, that is wishful thinking, and no different that the kind of hope a child would have when he hopes that Santa gives him all that he has wished for.

I keep on hoping - I think - I must do because I have not attempted suicide. But often - I do feel that hope abandons me - at times - the thought of "I JUST CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE" "I DO NOT WANT TO FEEL ANYMORE" - those thoughts negate any faith or hope in any system or belief.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:49 pm
Join something lzzie and go with the flow. Think 12 months ahead.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:54 pm
If one puts their faith in human beings it will eventually be shaken and sometimes broken or completely lost. The Bible says to put our faith in God and not in man.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:05 pm
Quote:
I keep on hoping - I think - I must do because I have not attempted suicide. But often - I do feel that hope abandons me - at times - the thought of "I JUST CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE" "I DO NOT WANT TO FEEL ANYMORE" - those thoughts negate any faith or hope in any system or belief.

Izzie - It sounds like you have a particular, rather intense problem that is causing you a lot of grief. This thread is speaking in generalities. If you would like, you might want to start another thread where people can give you input as how to deal with your problem. We have a lot of wise people here with a wealth of life experience. Perhaps we can give you some ideas, or even help you sort out what is happening in your life.

Life has infinite possibilities. There are always better and more effective ways of doing things. The task is to identify the "bumps in the road" and learn ways to cope with them.
0 Replies