Mom and dad were heroes

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 06:16 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
For my part,
I choose not to be a hero for the benefit of strangers.

I 'd not run into any burning buildings to save strangers;

Quite okay, not everyone is so inclined,
and I wouldn't have thought you so inclined.

Thank u.
I am pleased to be recognized for what I am.

My filosofy and my psychology
have always been based upon hedonistic SELFISHNESS,
which I favorably recommend to everyone.

I believe that the inexorable logic
of life 's circumstances leads to serving one 's own euphoric contentment.

That 's Y I founded the Opulent Mensan Special Interest Group: for FUN.

David
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:07 pm
Quote:

I personally wouldn't describe the end game as 'euphoric' contentment, which sounds a bit like 'pleasurable' contentment...the problem with both pleasure and euphoria being that that are both short lived (in my view).

...described as 'happy/joyous contentment', and we'd agree....although that may just be semantics.

... people achieve this in different ways, according to their own personality and character.

Quote:

Btw, while I have no issue with you being this way - this is probably on of the major reasons we disagree on the gun debate - we come from different perspectives in life (as I've previously mentioned, I believe in balance)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:33 pm
I think david also believes in balance, in that a good firearm is properly balanced so you don't get a cramp from waving it around.

Also, having one on the left side of the belt balances the one on the right...
Smile
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:22 pm
I stand corrected Very Happy
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:55 am
McMansions equals heroic action for American citizens.

"We're not selling shelter," says the president of Toll Brothers, a builder of upscale homes. "We're selling extreme-ego, look-at-me types of homes." In 2000, Toll Brothers' most popular home was 3,200 square feet; by 2005, it had grown 50 percent, to 4,800 square feet. These "McMansions" often feature marble floors, sweeping staircases, vaulted ceilings, family rooms, studies, home entertainment centers and more bedrooms than people.
'House Lust' Hits Home Article from Washington Post Jan 2, 2008
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:45 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I think david also believes in balance,
in that a good firearm is properly balanced so you don't get a cramp from waving it around.

Also, having one on the left side of the belt balances the one on the right...
Smile

Thank U.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:12 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I personally wouldn't describe the end game as 'euphoric' contentment,
which sounds a bit like 'pleasurable' contentment...
the problem with both pleasure and euphoria being that that are both short lived (in my view).

Do that to me ONE MORE TIME;
once is NEVER enuf

Quote:
...described as 'happy/joyous contentment',
and we'd agree....although that may just be semantics.

OK; we 'll do that after the euphoric contentment.

Quote:
... people achieve this in different ways, according to their own personality and character.

Yeah.

Quote:

Quote:
Btw, while I have no issue with you being this way -
this is probably on of the major reasons we disagree on the gun debate -
we come from different perspectives in life

(as I've previously mentioned, I believe in balance)

From that, I dissent.
I choose to conserve the right way.

If u meet an applicant for a job as your accountant,
will u reject a man who calculates it all correctly,
in favor of a candidate who balances equal amounts of accuracy and error ?

If u choose to engage the services of a surgeon,
will u hire one who proudly asserts that while his right hand is perfectly sterile,
his left hand is foul n dirty ?

If u serve on a jury
with multiple defendants in a criminal prosecution,
will u vote to convict HALF of the innocent men ?

If u were an astronaut going to Mars,
wud u select a spaceship that will get u there in perfect safety,
but will crash and burn, on the way back ( for balance ) ?

Lemme know.

David
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:59 pm
David,

Is a perfectly balanced knife very accurately made, or sloppily made?

Is a space ship made in perfect balance with the environment it must travel through well made, or not?

I have to run off to work now. I'll have a look at the rest when I get back.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:29 pm
Don 't work too hard.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:37 am
Quotation from "The Birth and Death of Meaning" by Ernest Becker.

"Anthony Quinn in his great role in "Requiem for a Heavyweight" earned his inner sense of self-value by constantly reminding himself and others that he was "fifth-ranking contender for the heavyweight crown". This made him really somebody, gave him continual nourishment, allowed him to hold his head high in the shabbiest circumstances. Academic intellectuals have their own fine gradations of worth: a six-hour teaching load, with no under-graduate teaching, in an ivy-league school; a three hour teaching load, with only one undergraduate course, in an almost ivy-league school. How these balance in the scale of self-worth can cause agonizing life decisions."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:38 pm
coberst wrote:
Quotation from "The Birth and Death of Meaning" by Ernest Becker.

"Anthony Quinn in his great role in "Requiem for a Heavyweight" earned his inner sense of self-value by constantly reminding himself and others that he was "fifth-ranking contender for the heavyweight crown". This made him really somebody, gave him continual nourishment, allowed him to hold his head high in the shabbiest circumstances. Academic intellectuals have their own fine gradations of worth: a six-hour teaching load, with no under-graduate teaching, in an ivy-league school; a three hour teaching load, with only one undergraduate course, in an almost ivy-league school. How these balance in the scale of self-worth can cause agonizing life decisions."

When I wanna cheer myself up,
I just mentally savor the collapse n death of communism.
David
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:39 am
Quote:
"Anthony Quinn in his great role in "Requiem for a Heavyweight" earned his inner sense of self-value by constantly reminding himself and others that he was "fifth-ranking contender for the heavyweight crown". This made him really somebody, gave him continual nourishment, allowed him to hold his head high in the shabbiest circumstances.
Quote:
Academic intellectuals have their own fine gradations of worth: a six-hour teaching load, with no under-graduate teaching, in an ivy-league school; a three hour teaching load, with only one undergraduate course, in an almost ivy-league school.

That is worth as an Academic, not worth as an individual, although vocation provides a sense of self worth for most people - again, it's only one dimension of self worth.

Quote:
How these balance in the scale of self-worth can cause agonizing life decisions."

Didn't quite follow this part.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:51 am
As I said before, about your title:

hero- male
heroine- female

What's so hard about that?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:40 am
Quote:
Academic intellectuals have their own fine gradations of worth: a six-hour teaching load, with no under-graduate teaching, in an ivy-league school; a three hour teaching load, with only one undergraduate course, in an almost ivy-league school.

That is worth as an Academic, not worth as an individual, although vocation provides a sense of self worth for most people - again, it's only one dimension of self worth.

Quote:
How these balance in the scale of self-worth can cause agonizing life decisions."

Didn't quite follow this part.[/quote]

I am not an academic and cannot speak to the balancing act in that profession, but I suspect it is no different from any sort of analysis when one is a member of a small group wherein there is a good bit of jealousey and self-promotion about.
0 Replies