The girls next door.

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:50 pm
They brought me two cookies on Christmas Eve. That is, the girl next door, and her two girls, aged about 8 & 10 years old. Each had a cookie in her hand, one in the shape of a Christmas tree, the other some sort of man, like a gingerbread man.

It sounds like so little, I know, but you should have seen them. They were just as happy and excited as if I had given them each a five pound box of money. Judging from their looks, it must have been their very own idea.

Just thought I would pass along one of those little things that make life worth living. Sure made the holidays for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 23
No top replies

eoe

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:53 pm
That's terrific. Are you their friend?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:59 pm
Roger, it's the silly little caring things that keep the season sane.

People still care about each other, you just gotta look for it sometimes...

RH
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm
Eeo, I must be. Anyway, they're my friends, now.

I know that, Rockhead. Nobody has ever heard me rave about loving children, but these two are something else. Kind of what we expect kids to be like, but never are.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:08 pm
aaawww, what a nice story, Roger.

That reminds me of another cookie story. When we moved into a new neighborhood many years ago, my next door neighbors were kind of unfriendly. They rarely said hello, and when one of their kids started talking to us, their mother immediately called them into the house. We almost never saw the father and when we did run into him, he just looked the other way.

This went on for several months. When Christmas time came around, I got a package from my mother with lots of German gingerbread cookies. Since she sent so many, I wrapped up one box of cookies and placed them in front of the neighbor's doorstep along with a card on
Christmas Eve.

A few hours later the mother rings my doorbell and is all excited. She
starts to hug me and thank me profusely for the cookies. I thought it
was no big deal, but as I found out, they had German relatives, and every Christmas they received a package with the exact same gingerbread cookies I had given them. However, that particular year, the package was delayed and they had no gingerbread cookies. Everyone
was sad, especially the kids, and then they happen to find mine in front of the door.

So this meant more to them than just a box of cookies. I felt quite good
about myself then, and they were very happy to have some gingerbread
cookies for Christmas. Needless to say, we became friends after that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:19 pm
Happy Boxing Day, Roger, and thanks for the story.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:47 pm
Boxing Day is another good story.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:48 pm
Yep. Cookies break down all kinds of barriers, right CJ?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:55 pm
They sure do, roger Wink
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:59 am
So, they weren't tough cookies?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:21 am
I always thought that showing a little bit of kindness can change almost anyone's heart - even when the one receiving it is unkind.

I remember one story in the paper about some young kids being mean to another boy on the subway. There were two boys with a mom or other adult and these two boys were teasing this other little boy (adult not stopping them). The other little boy was with a grandmom and he had some cookies or some other treat. Instead of fighting back, talking back or anything other sort of thing you normally would expect, the grandmom told this little boy to share some of his treats with the other boys. Voila - instant friends.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:31 am
Re: The girls next door.
roger wrote:
They brought me two cookies on Christmas Eve. That is, the girl next door, and her two girls, aged about 8 & 10 years old. Each had a cookie in her hand, one in the shape of a Christmas tree, the other some sort of man, like a gingerbread man.

It sounds like so little, I know, but you should have seen them. They were just as happy and excited as if I had given them each a five pound box of money. Judging from their looks, it must have been their very own idea.

Just thought I would pass along one of those little things that make life worth living. Sure made the holidays for me.

Very Happy Lovely story, roger!

That certainly beats having neighbours from hell! (Like some of us do! :wink: )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:35 am
My favorite presents are the ones that can't be wrapped--just encapulated in memory.

Delightful memories last forever.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:48 am
Very sweet, roger.... the girls as well as the cookies.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:30 am
That is a great story

Im glad someone took the time to make you feel good Roger. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:43 am
What a great story, Rog. The neighbors on my left are really weird. A big bunch of guys who threw a used tail gate on my lawn and asked me if I could use it. Rolling Eyes

The neighbors on my right are great. Nice looking man name Brad who wished me Merry Christmas and whose small dog named Bee Bee gave me a special kiss.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:47 am
Letty wrote:
What a great story, Rog. The neighbors on my left are really weird. A big bunch of guys who threw a used tail gate on my lawn and asked me if I could use it. Rolling Eyes

Maybe this is simply a redneck way of giving cookies!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
Probably so, Linkat. Somewhat like Little Lucifer the Cat bringing you a gift of a mangled mouse. I'm sure she means well.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:56 pm
Those little girls must've been beaming.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:10 pm
Beaming? They were so excited, they couldn't stand still.
0 Replies