Toaster ovens with convection cooking

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:56 am
I need a new toaster oven. I've rarely used one for anything much but heating rolls or straight toasting. Checking out different models I find that many have a convection oven feature. So I'd like to know whether this is really a useful feature for someone who rarely cooks anyway.

So first question - is a convection oven of any size really useful?

Second question - I either eat downstairs in one of our community's dining rooms, or get takeout and heat it in the microwave. I wonder about what use the convection feature would be for me.

Suggestions gratefully received.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Tico

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:32 pm
I think the convection feature is just a marketing thing for a toaster oven. It simply means that there's a small fan in there that will circulate the hot air for efficient baking. It's difficult to say how much use you'll get from it without knowing what you like to eat.

I don't have a toaster oven, but I do own (and love) a combination microwave/convection oven. Because I cook only for myself (therefore small batches), I prefer to use the convection oven to the standard large one. It's perfect for cooking or crisping things that the microwave just can't do well -- for instance: chicken wings, lasagna or french onion soup, small batch of muffins, pizza, store-bought frozen prepared meat products like chicken divan. Also, I love fresh baguettes, and have found a source of partially cooked mini ones (perfect for a single person) that get baked for 8 minutes in the convection oven.

I think that on the toaster oven, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how often you use it. It will probably expand your food choices, so if it's an option that doesn't cost much more, I'd say go for it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:36 pm
we have a over range hood convection oven (Advantium). We love it, but we cook in a lot. We bake a lot and so the convection oven and a gas oven with the stove gives us lotsa room .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:53 pm
We own a convection/microwave.

With it, we dont need a regular stove for anything other then frying foods on the top of the stove, or boiling water for pasta.
There isnt anything we cant make in that thing.
including baking needs.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
Tico - Can the convection feature reheat something like a breaded veal cutlet or fried fish and make it come out crispy?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:58 pm
I don't think the convection type toasts as well as the old style toaster oven.
I wonder if anyone still has a pop-up toaster...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
raises hand. Nothin does bagels better
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
Yeah, or any kind of toasting for that matter.
We're running out of counter space or I'd think about getting one.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 01:45 pm
George wrote:
I don't think the convection type toasts as well as the old style toaster oven.
I wonder if anyone still has a pop-up toaster...

I was going to say the same thing.

Our convection toaster oven does everything wonderfully....except toast.

Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
The convection feature keeps the kitchen cooler in the summer.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:04 pm
Given that convection cooking requires a fan to circulate the air wouldn't a toaster oven with this feature be rather difficult to clean? I'm thinking of foods that might give off fat while cooking.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:05 pm
And another question: How much do these things weigh? Wouldn't the fan mechanism add quite a lot?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:15 pm
I've been checking out toaster ovens, and darned if I can find any WITHOUT the convection feature. Maybe I'll just try and see whether I can get a duplicate of my old one. It's awkward to clean, because the crumb tray doesn't pull out, just swings away. This morning I bent the tray somehow when opening it for cleaning and although I got it back in place, I don't think it's going to be reliable any more (among other problems, I'm not the only thing in my kitchen that's getting older...)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:48 pm
Re: Toaster ovens with convection cooking
Tomkitten wrote:
Tico - Can the convection feature reheat something like a breaded veal cutlet or fried fish and make it come out crispy?

Yes. Also, the fan will be tiny, I'm sure, and not add any real weight or bulk -- and it will be somewhat protected from splatters. The functionality of the crumb tray is probably more worth concern than the convection function.
0 Replies