Why Do people Claim to have "found god/Jesus"??

mrhunt

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:36 am
Im Sure we've all seen it at one point or another...

Theres a guy Who's a heavy drinker,Or Partys too much Or is just generally in a bad state in their Life and Suddenly they Turn To religion and turn their lives around and Start acting Holier than Thou.....and they'll generally state how they've "Found god"

Now Dont get me Wrong,I think this is a TERRIFIC thing And if religon is what helps them to change their lives Im Just so incredibly Happy For them.

My Point here is this....Why Wouldnt these People accept the Fact that Religion was just a Tool That they have used for THEM to fix THEMSELVES. Because from an athiests Point of view (Mine) There IS no god So All they've Really done is find Themselves....So why Dont these People Give Props to themselves? Why would they Think Going to Church and singing some songs and Donting some money Would change them?....

U guys know what im talking about here? It just pisses me off kinda......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,208 • Replies: 26
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:02 am
Maybe they decided to stop being a loser? Maybe you should try it?
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:10 am
What in the ****? Why are you Just being such a Dick to me? Ive Done Nothing To You Yet your Now starting to attack me in threads For No Purpose.

I Wont start a flame war With you online So why dont you find Something better To Do Jackass?

the Thread is about Personal responsibility and Not saying "God did it"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:16 am
It seems to me there are several motes and beams bouncing from eyeball to eyeball here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:21 am
If you can't stand the heat. . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:40 am
I feel certain that if contrex were on the verge of finding God.... well God would just find a more secure place to hide from him Laughing
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:35 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I feel certain that if contrex were on the verge of finding God.... well God would just find a more secure place to hide from him Laughing

he can run but he can't hide... maybe he's curled up inside those 7 extra dimensions that string theory says were created in the Big Bang?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
Some people need a crutch to lean on.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 01:31 pm
In many cases I think it is a transference of the dependency from one crutch to another --- isn't that part of the 12-step process?

In other cases I think there are life-changing experiences that some people have that they have no other explanation for.

I'm not sure why it bothers you. What does it make you angry?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
Quote:
Theres a guy Who's a heavy drinker,Or Partys too much Or is just generally in a bad state in their Life and Suddenly they Turn To religion and turn their lives around and Start acting Holier than Thou.....and they'll generally state how they've "Found god"

Any port in the storm.

But seriously, sometimes when people have ended up in a circle of substance abuse or any kind of really destructive habit they see the proverbial writing on the wall. The realize that if they don't make radical changes their lives will never improve.
Imagine being the alcoholic who is near giving up on life. Imagine thinking that every choice you've ever made has steered you towards where you are now.
How could you trust your own independent judgement?
I can only imagine this is part of the explanation.

When you're trying to kick a bad habit you always need a substitute. After a life of highs or drinking binges you've probably seen some amazing things. Gnomes riding vacuumcleaners, talking dogs, seven fingers on your hand, you name it. Drugs can do that.
So maybe the leap from drug induced feverdreams to fevered zealotry isn't that great...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:17 pm
I don't know why they call themselves born-agains...should just be what they are, "crack heads."
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 01:21 am
I found christ once. He was in a bar and he bought me a guinness. I hate guinness, but we had a nice chat about how everybody keeps looking for him. He seemed to express an interest in everyone leaving him alone. He's kinda tired of everyone thinking he's lost.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:44 am
au wropte-

Quote:
Some people need a crutch to lean on.

Yeah--like everybody. It's funny how irreligious people always pretend they have no crutches.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:47 am
spendius wrote:
It's funny how irreligious people always pretend they have no crutches.

How is that pronounced, "crotches"?

Is that an ancillary tool? Like a maid?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:26 am
A pair of crutches

http://img.tfd.com/dorland/thumbs/crutch_axillary.jpg

A maid

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11180708/Classic_Black_Satin_French_Maid_Uniform.jpg

I know which I prefer to lean on.
Letty

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:55 am
mrhunt, you asked an honest question, so here is the basis for the "born-again" situation from the bible.

http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bibl40s.htm

Unfortunately, many people have used this admonition to create a cult which makes certain unreasonable demands. To me, it simply means that one must change his way of life in order to keep from hurting others(and himself) that love him. We may accept this literally or metaphorically. It depends on the individual.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:21 am
cont rex wrote-

Quote:
I know which I prefer to lean on.

She's been carefully trained mate so that she meets with your approval. The obvious fact that you have no clue how that was done is quite understandable but I hope it doesn't lead to you taking any chances with one not similarly trained.

Still-she might be putting on an act so you had better allow for that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:24 am
And she is someone's daughter.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:44 am
spendius wrote:
And she is someone's daughter.

That is relevant how? Every woman in the world is somebody's daughter, and every man is somebody's son. I think you are joking however.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:59 am
Contrex, take all this stuff with a grain of salt, as you know how to do sometimes...
0 Replies