Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:54 pm
My great aunt was a great cook. All my other aunts would try her recipes to no avail. Years have gone by and she is long gone. Well, one day I'm cleaning out the attic, and I find an old cookbook. Inside. on index cards are recipes. Not just any recipes. My aunts recipes. Well, in each recipe I noticed she had left out a couple key ingredients when she gave them to other family members. I was so excited I bolted for the stairs, book in hand, to tell the world. I forgot I was in an attic. Smacked my head on a rafter, the book went flying, and all the recipes came out, along with a picture of my great aunt holding me as a baby. I carefully picked up all the recipes, and placed them back in the book, and put the book back in the box.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 801 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 05:20 am
alex, Welcome to A2K. Your anecdote reminded me of my mom. She never followed recipes so one had to watch what she did to learn her art of cooking. To this day, the only thing that I can make that even resembles hers is cornbread dressing.

Isn't it wonderful to experience the small pleasures in life? What a thrill finding that picture of her holding you must have been.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 05:41 am
Alex, Glad you found the recipes. Treasures for sure.

I'm not surprised that your aunt left out some ingredients. This is not uncommon. I got the recipe for Italian meat sauce from an Italian friend who got it from her mother who got it from her mother, etc. No garlic? What else was missing? I'll never know.
0 Replies