Help Me Find This Obscure Movie

snood

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:10 am
I remember seeing a movie way back in the early 70's or even late 60s. It had Darrin McGavin in it as a soldier hired by the US to do battle with an Asian soldier, alone on a deserted island. They were to battle each other to avoid their nations having to battle, and the winner's nation would be the victor.

Does anyone remember a movie like that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 755 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:16 am
I just barely remember seeing it. I think it was a "made for TV" done by one of the three major networks, but don't remember which one. Late 60s or very early 70s?

A piece of high tech equipment was lost, and both the US and the Asian nation were trying to salvage it. To avoid coming to blows over the salvage, each nation agreed to have one soldier go to a Pacific island and duke it out. Which soldier survived determined which nation got the gadget.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:25 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065534/

The Challenge.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:32 am
Thanks, 2Packs. I had just done some more searching on my own and found it about the time you posted that. I just bought a copy on DVD online. I wonder if I will enjoy it anywhere near the way I remember enjoying it way back when.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:19 am
:wink:

I just bought a double dvd a few weeks back, Battleground and Battle Cry, two WWII films that I enjoyed greatly when I was a small boy, kinda hate to watch them...haven't even broke the seal yet....for the same reason you mentioned. I'd hate to now find them boring or dated or contrived.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:22 am
I just bought Elizabeth R, the series with Glenda Jackson...and the entire Blackadder...on DVD.

Ditto.

Gibbers nervously.....
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:38 am
I thought at first that it might be Hell in the Pacific (1968), but that one was with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune (Quite an OK film though, which was later remade in a sci-fi setting as Enemy mine (1985, Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr).)
0 Replies