Muscle Car Fans

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:27 pm
What does everyone think of all the muscle cars coming back in new and updated versions? I think it will be fun to see these cars on the streets. I'm most looking forward to the return of the Challenger and can't wait to see what the production vehicle will look like. I saw some production pics online and it looks awesome. Anyone going to check out the car or placed a pre-order for it?

Challenger Pictures
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:33 am
Re: Muscle Car Fans
YellowRosebud wrote:
What does everyone think of all the muscle cars coming back in new and updated versions? I think it will be fun to see these cars on the streets. I'm most looking forward to the return of the Challenger and can't wait to see what the production vehicle will look like. I saw some production pics online and it looks awesome. Anyone going to check out the car or placed a pre-order for it?

Challenger Pictures

I think they are cheap reproductions of classic cars and it's disgusting what is being done to them.

The cars do look cool, but they are not built to last like the cars of ole were.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:41 am
I like most of them. Think the new Mustang is a nice looking car when set up right. On one hand I think it's because it's easier for them vs. coming up with a fresh design, however I do like some of the retros. Haven't seen much of the Challenger, the new Camaro looks like it might be a hit.

Maporsche, "not built to last?" Ok. Cars from the 60's-70's rotted out in the northeast within 7-8 years. They were obviously a lot simpler & easier to work on, but they wouldn't technically "last" as long as a new car. You sound like the old guy who's stuck on how much better things were.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I like most of them. Think the new Mustang is a nice looking car when set up right. On one hand I think it's because it's easier for them vs. coming up with a fresh design, however I do like some of the retros. Haven't seen much of the Challenger, the new Camaro looks like it might be a hit.

Maporsche, "not built to last?" Ok. Cars from the 60's-70's rotted out in the northeast within 7-8 years. They were obviously a lot simpler & easier to work on, but they wouldn't technically "last" as long as a new car. You sound like the old guy who's stuck on how much better things were.

Well, I'm 28, not exactly the old guy.

I'm just saying that you won't see these cars 30 years from now.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:50 am
Yes, you will. People collect cars, you know.

They won't be as rare, because there are a lot more in production, and there weren't as many collectors in the 60's, leaving less pristine cars from that time period.

And a regular current Mustang GT probably won't be much of a valuable car, but if you held onto a limited production, like a Shelby 500 or Roush with little miles, it'll be worth money.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:22 pm
I think what porsche was talking about was their enduring allure. I agree. In 40 years, do you really think that a restored 07 charger will command the prices of a 70 charger? No way.

Old cars are simply engineered, flawed in many ways compared to today's technology, but they are ultimately rebuildable. No matter how rusty or terrible they get, they're sorta modular. Newer cars arent that way. They're intensely complex, half-plastic, unibody cars that when they're done, they're done. Sure you can restore a Camry, but why?

The other thing to consider is the old cars have the benefit of freedom of design. A 55 chevy doesn't look like any other year, including 56 and 57. Now because of expensive crash testing and other government influences, it could be a decade or more of the same cookie cutter, mass produced car. Think about it. In 1964, a production level of 3000 units was a pretty limited number. Now we consider 30,000 limited. Heck, I have a 96 Impala SS, one of about 32,000 96's produced and everyone talks to me about how rare it is. How many new chargers, magnums, and 300s have they cranked out? How many more will they crank out before they change the body style appreciably.

Come on, guys... you can't compare an in-house, hand-built, art-deco design from someone like Harley Earl to a CAD-drawn mass produced piece of plastic unibody.

If my Impala SS becomes a classic, its a bonus. I bought it to drive and that's what I do. Its beat, but its a fast fun car. I'm not saving it for big money in 20 years because I don't believe it will be big money. Even though it is the last of the full-frame muscle cars, its way too cookie cutter. Its a cop car with leather and a floor shifter.
0 Replies

rainkeeper

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:46 pm
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2335622973_94cfab54f6.jpg
0 Replies