Is American Idol's manufactured hype machine losing steam?

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:26 pm
Lately we've seen Jordin Sparks earn the dubious distinction of the lowest first-week sales of any American Idol winner. Also, this week, Ruben Studdard was dropped from his label after two lackluster releases. Sure there are a bunch of no-talent hack success stories (Can you say, "Taylor Hicks?") still out there, but are we finally starting to see at least some sign that America really isn't a bunch of mindless automatons who will buy any **** that the magical box with moving pictures on it tells them to? Is the hype machine finally losing it's power over the masses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,335 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:47 am
From your lips to God's ears, kickster.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
God, I hope so. Laughing
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:58 pm
Dammit Eoe,I was Just about To say "god i hope So" but now it looks like im Copying what you said!

well,Uhm...

I Really Super Duper Hope so....No....That sounds Gay.

Uhm.

I Hope so.....

Yeah,that'll Do....that will do........ Cool
0 Replies

chef21

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
Jordin Sparks released an album? Laughing Comes to show how much promotions they had for it. Had no clue. I think people just like watching the show. When they choose their artist, the audience moves on. Some people seem to feel as though they are apart of something when its on the TV.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:22 pm
eoe wrote:
God, I hope so. Laughing

Ditto
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:27 pm
well for one thing Jordin Parks failed to strike while the iron was hot.

A couple of winners have built and will maintain real careers around AI others will use their AI experience as jump off points to other things including not superstar status but the ability to make a living in the business they love (and I can vouch for the value of that) others will just ade away forever.

But one thing's for sure.. the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.....
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:10 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well for one thing Jordin Parks failed to strike while the iron was hot.

A couple of winners have built and will maintain real careers around AI others will use their AI experience as jump off points to other things including not superstar status but the ability to make a living in the business they love (and I can vouch for the value of that) others will just ade away forever.

But one thing's for sure.. the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.....

Absolutely. There are a lot worse singers out there that didn't have to go through what these AI folks do. Personally - I hear a lot worse voices in concert and am always shocked to hear they can't carry a tune in a bucket...the amazing product of a studio. The AI folks can at least for the most part carry a tune...certainly not always brilliant musicians nor do they all have staying power. But some definitely do. I for one did not start watching it until last year...and I am already bored with it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:04 am
hate to ruin your day kick... but Chris Daughtry had the biggest selling record of the ENTIRE YEAR...

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/yearendcharts/chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+200&g=Year-end+Albums
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:24 am
I have to agree that this last season of American Idol was very disappointing. The best singers were kicked off the show early. I was so happy to see Chris Daughtery win all those awards and am thrilled for his sales success.

I am a big Taylor Hicks fan but I am very disappointed. I saw him on a morning show and his performance was absolutely horrible. I liked Jordin but don't feel that she should have won.

The way they are promoting Idol already they are promising the best seaon ever. I guess time will tell. I'll still watch it because I do find it entertaining.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
I think it would be hard to pick the biggest AI winner who is actually a loser between taylor hicks or reuben studdard.... JMO
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:43 am
Ya wounded me Bi-Polar Bear! Taylor a loser? Crying or Very sad I do admit he is an acquired taste. I liked him because he was different. When he walked into that room playing that harmonica I thought, "now, THAT'S personality!" But is he an American Idol? I would honestly have to say no, he does not fit the bill.
0 Replies

Gypsyvixen

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:36 pm
Idol needs to end
This show is just terrible now. Look at how the horrendous singers advance just because some little kid thought they were cute and bawled about it. Or what about the geeky kid who is just oh-so-endearing but also totally talentless.... I know that it is more than just talent, you need charisma, stage presence, all that... but talent has to count for something!!! Chris Daughtry should have won, hands down... and yeah Jordin Sparks is so un-interesting I'd rather peel wallpaper.
0 Replies