children and art

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:42 pm
hey you guys!! hope everyone is doing ok and hope everyone has a good holiday!!

what do you guys think would be a good art thing to buy my niece(5) for christmas?? my mom bought her some paint and paint paper thingy with the stand on one side and the other has a chalk board. i want to get her something that is fun and interesting and something i could sit down and help her and do art things with her to.
Im not to good at putting what im trying to say in words so if you guys dont understand what im trying to say im sorry!! Embarrassed

thank you guys for helping me out!!

*~*BB*~*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
I know what you mean, we had one of those.

I'd suggest to start with chalk (for the chalkboard!) and Crayola Washable Markers. They're good stuff. (The markers.) If you get one set of thick ones (8, I think) and one set of thin ones (16 or 24, I think), she'd be set for a whole lot of creativity.

My daughter always liked markers way more than crayons, so we've gone through a lot of them. Crayola Washables seem to be the best combination of color saturation (not too light/ wishy-washy), longevity (they last a long time), and washability! That last one is really important for that age -- they're gonna draw on things they're not supposed to draw on, period. These markers actually wash right out.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:32 am
Southside,

If your niece is five, she would probably love finger-painting--without making clean-up too much trouble. Do, however, check for finger paints that are easily removable if they get onto walls, fabric, etc.

Adults usually enjoy finger-painting as much as kids. As a matter of fact, if I ran into another adult who didn't enjoy dipping fingers directly into bright pigment, I'd be wondering what the problem was. I'll bet you'd enjoy finger-painting with your niece. Do keep in mind that she may prefer you to be working on your own painting across the table from her while she works on her own. Kids generally like company while they paint, but they can be, understandably, very proprietary about their work.

I love finger-painting with my about-to-be-four-year-old granddaughter. We both go for the paint with great enthusiasm. There is a basic, visceral pleasure to finger-painting. No brush or other tool between you and the brilliant color. You want to use blue, your hands turn blue. You're in the thick of the process!
0 Replies