Is A2K safe from any virus?

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:38 pm
Just wondering if A2K is safe from the current worm virus? It's been spreading pretty fast by attaching onto other peoples email mailboxes, and resending to other mailboxes. It makes it look like somebody you know is sending the email to you, but is in fact the virus. How safe are we on A2K? c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 997 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:42 pm
Getting a virus from a web server by visiting pages is very rare. Even more so if the server administrator is not intentionally trying to infect you.

Furthermore, the worm you mention does not affect Linux servers. Since we do not use a Windows server that worm does nothing to this site's servers.

For the curious our datacenter is blocking all port 135 traffic for a while anyway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
Craven, Thank you for the clarification. I'm sure many are concerned. BTW, I've been getting less email from friends during the past couple of days, and wondered if they've been infected. c.i.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
yes getting a worm from the wild is rare and this just shows you another reason to use linux, most viruses are programmed toward windows as it is the largest home based os
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:59 pm
Of course, the more people that take your advise the more incentive virus-writers will have to make 'em for linux. Smile
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:48 am
but it is easier to protect linux since it is open source and not using exe files changes the threat of most script kiddies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:24 am
Found a good article in today's paper about how to identify if the virus is in your computer, and how to remove it by a free removal tool.
1. Go to Start menu and click on search or click Find. If Find, click on Files or Folders.
2. Type winppr32.exe into the search window.
3. Select local hard drives for the search.
4. If the file is located, you have the virus.
If you have the virus, go to www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sobig_f.shtml#dlsinf, then click on to www.f-secure.com/tools/f-sobig.zip link to download the instructions and removal tool
Good luck! c.i.

I did the search, and my computer is clean of this virus. Wink
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:11 pm
Should you need a free removal tool for that virus I'd recommend McAfee Stinger as it'll also remove blaster, welchia and about 25 other famous ones in one shot.

Doing a simple file or registry search to determine if you have a virus often isn't the greatest idea as viruses usually come out in several variants (as is the case with this one). There are also those that use random filenames/registry entries.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:15 pm
Monger, Thanks for the info. c.i.
0 Replies