Fleck5600..is it for me? (price quote within)

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
Had a local guy come out today. i have 24 grains and .5 chlorine. He would install their 'home built' fleck system. cu5600r4tf. 950 for the unit plus 300 installation and toss in one of those 10 inch filters.

In case you haven't been following my tale of woe i have a leaky culligan and didnt want to pay 1800+ to get their new replacement.

so what's your opinion on pricing and the size unit for my needs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 11
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:07 pm
A metered Fleck 2510 SE control valve would be a much better choice.

The softener should have at least 32K capacity, a little more would be OK.

Why do you need/want a 10" filter?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:24 pm
I agree with H2OMan.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:44 pm
he gave some excuse about sediment from flushed hydrants coming in and messing up things. He tossed in the filter and said you can get the filters for 4 bucks a home depot if you want it.

is there some reason not to get this? i'm sure they wont mind not putting it in if there is a compelling reason not to.

the softener has 32K capacity, 3/4 inch, 9"x48 resin volume 1.0
18x30 tank 300 lbs fill 10gpm service flow, 2.0 backwash flow
c100e salt saving resin (is it really?)
1 yr warranty but he says he doesnt usually work on them for at least 7 years. And they would replace all my old leaky valves with new ball valves too Smile

the guy was nice and really didnt try to push the proprietary brand when i said i need something cheaper. He said the fleck had more user serviceable parts etc like we all know and i give him points for being honest that it's more user friendly.

i understand you said the other valve would be better but can you tell me why specifically?

And for this unit is this a fair price?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:59 pm
The 2510 is harder to work on than the 5600. It has two motors and contact switches while the 5600 doesn't and it doesn't have the wires and plugs the 2510 does. The 2510 costs more money too.

C100e is no more salt efficient than other cation resins.

A 1.0 cuft volume of C100e has a SFR of 9 gpm.

The $950 installed from a local dealer is a fair price. You'd do hundreds better if you bought it online but, hiring a plumber or that dealer would eat most of the savings and the hassle isn't worth it but.. you may need a larger softener depending on the family size and your peak demand water use gpm based on X bathrooms.

The best salt dose setting for a 1.0 cuft is at least 6 lbs and less is better. That gives you 24k usable capacity at 6 lbs; that's at 3333 grains/lb.

I don't like prefilters for softeners. They are not changed when they should be and that starves the softener for backwash water causing failure of the resin.

You can't get 32k regenerated capacity back into a 1 cuft, the maximum is 30k and takes 15 lbs of salt. So what salt dose setting and K of capacity is he using to program the softener/meter with?

Usually you would have a 1.2 or 1.5 gpm DLFC in a 1.0 cuft softener with a 5600, not 2.0 gpm.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:00 pm
no, i said 950 plus 300 Smile But if that filter is either changed or just removed, there really cant be any harm from it can there be? My guess is they build it into their price since they are getting so much anyway.

family size is 2 with only 1 used bathroom and water usage 2000-3000 per month.

I have no idea what he will set it at and no clue really how to decipher all you said since i'm letting my local pro handle all that. The stats i gave you were from the spec sheet he gave me.

Though i do hope this is easy for me to reprogram in case i want to fool with it myself. I think i said this before but until this culligan broke, i was very happy with whatever soft water i was getting from a charge every 6 days on 15 + year old resin that i saw was soup years ago. So with this new one, my fear is the thing will be too soft and i'll need to somehow back it down.

do you think the unit is the right size for the hardness and usage?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
The 2510 is harder to work on than the 5600. It has two motors and contact switches while the 5600 doesn't and it doesn't have the wires and plugs the 2510 does.
The 2510 costs more money too.

I only know of one individual that has a hard time working on the 2510... Rolling Eyes

The 2510SE does cost a few more dollars, but it's superior to the 5600 and it is worth the small added up front cost.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:35 pm
well i dont have a choice with this company unfortunately...i just want it to make soft water most of the time and be reliable and sized correctly. It's now the smallest unit they have and there were many more bigger so i assume he was telling me the truth.

if there is something wrong with all the figures i'd appreciate something specific so i can go back to him and ask questions. But i truly dont understand most of this and that's why i hired the local pro..to trust him.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
Mame wrote:
I agree with H2OMan.

You are to sweet Mame Cool

luckydriver wrote:
well i dont have a choice with this company unfortunately...i just want it to make soft water most of the time and be reliable and sized correctly.

Are they offering you a metered "demand regeneration" 5600?
If yes - go for it. You could do worse.
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 03:36 pm
if metered means it counts down to a preset gallons used then waits until 2am to do it then yes thats what i have.

basically from all what he tells me it's a 'direct' replacement (my words) for my culligan...elcectric timer, 2 hour recharge, cant have water during then, 50 gallons per charge etc. But he said it would be more efficient since it wont be going every 6 days like i had it set, it will be based on how much water i used.

so that sounds pretty good to me.

and no way was i going with a 1800 + kinetico because i dont need soft water 24/7 for 2 people.

And he did run the water savings numbers for that unit for me. I agree would save me a few thousand gallons per year but break even for me for that amount of water would be over 20 years and i'm not worried about it. Plus i have no room for even the 2 small tanks, it's that tight a setup here.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
luckydriver wrote:
if metered means it counts down to a preset gallons used then waits until 2am to do it then yes thats what i have.

Yep, that's metered "demand regeneration".
0 Replies

luckydriver

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
beautiful....then i found the machine for me and can begin to enjoy soft water in the new year
0 Replies