Name the most engrossing/impressive film you saw in 2007.

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
CJ, you've inspired me to look for Vitus. Is it newly released or might I find it on NetFlix?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:02 pm
Diane, in Europe it was released in early 2007, and we rented it via
movie demand from our TV station, so you for sure will find it on NetFlix.

It is subtitled though, the cast speaks mostly a heavy Swiss accent,
but it doesn't take away from the movie - it's brilliant. Let me know
what you think afterwards, Diane!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 07:43 pm
CJ, I have put Vitus at the top of my queue so that it will be the next film to arrive.

I'll be sure to report back.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:13 am
CalamityJane wrote:
We watched an incredible movie the other day "Vitus" a Swiss movie with
subtitles. It brought a new twist to child prodigy.

Short synopsis (Amazon)

Quote:
VITUS is a film from Switzerland that has garnered many accolades and nearly won an Oscar. And yes, it is that good! Written by Fredi M. Murer, Peter Luisi, and Lukas B. Suter and directed by Murer, VITUS explores the life of a child genius, a lad who from the age of five is obviously gifted in that he can play Bach et al after only a few months lessons and is able to read books and understand concepts that make his stance in a regular kindergarten class untenable. But the film is less about the gifts of a child prodigy than it is a story of how a genius child longs for a normal childhood. It is in the telling of the story that the audience is privileged to discover the joys and trials in a child's view of being extraordinary.

Vitus - played at age 6 by Fabrizio Borsani and at age 12 by Teo Gheorghiu - is referred to as a little Mozart by his parents Helen (Julika Jenkins) and Leo (Urs Jucker), and by the family friends who are amazed at Vitus' gift as a pianist. But as is often the case with gifted children, they are overprotected, not allowed to engage in the normal activities of being a kid. Vitus finds consolation in his grandfather (a brilliant Bruno Ganz) whose creative energy includes Vitus in his longing to fly and to build complex machines. While Vitus continues his love for the piano he also takes risks with his beloved grandfather. Vitus' intelligence serves him well in analyzing the complexities of his father's job and his grandfather's role in that position, and it is his genius that leads the family in a direction no one thought possible. And of course with every story of an extraordinary young lad adapting to a puzzling world, there is also a love interest: Isabel at age 12 (Kristina Lykowa) is his fun-loving babysitter and at age 19 (Tamara Scarpellini) is the queen of his inexperienced heart and fill a void in Vitus' life that otherwise would be empty. Fitting all of these subplots together is made magical by Vitus' constant playing of classical music - a feat the young actor is capable of performing on his own!

The cast of this film is not only gifted but is also endearing. Bruno Ganz is a brilliant actor and he is matched by both of the young actors who play Vitus. The story is tender but avoids bathos. It simply is an uplifting, inspiring, entertaining film. A Must See!

A must see indeed!

It sounds a really interesting film, Jane. But sadly it has not graced our (Oz) movie houses (even the "art house" ones) yet.
I will keep my eyes open for it.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
Alvin and the Chipmunks
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:35 am
Linkat wrote:
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Is that all you have to say about Alvin and the Chipmunks, Linkat?

You have to tell us why this was the highlight of your 2007 viewing season. The fabulous script? The brilliant acting? Direction out of this world? Tell! Jeez! Rolling Eyes

:wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:55 am
msolga wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Is that all you have to say about Alvin and the Chipmunks, Linkat?

You have to tell us why this was the highlight of your 2007 viewing season. The fabulous script? The brilliant acting? Direction out of this world? Tell! Jeez! Rolling Eyes

:wink: Laughing

It is so difficult to describe. But I'll try.

The music for one. I bet you never heard such music in a movie before.

The script - how one could come up with such treasure and originality is beyond me.

The actor was probably not the highlight, however, one huge thing to note - how often do you get to hear and see chipmunks act. This trio is probably the best from other animals I have seen act. I don't think I have ever heard or since small forest creatures sing, dance and perform to their capacity.

The last thing is the incredible surprise ending and the great moral principal I learned from this incredibly inspiring movie.

That and I got the opportunity to bop the kid in the head behind me that kept kicking my seat.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:08 pm
LOL Linkat, a thoroughly moving experience. Uplifting, educational and environmentally friendly. Add to that bopping a rude kind in the head and it really doesn't get much better.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:22 pm
Did anyone mention Juno? One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
Excellent movie.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:00 pm
Linkat wrote:
...I don't think I have ever heard or since small forest creatures sing, dance and perform to their capacity.

Come to think of it, either have I! Yet.

Sounds like a "must see" experience, Linkat! :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:35 pm
Ta Guk Gi
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:37 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Did anyone mention Juno? One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Not here, dag, bit I did on another film thread:

msolga wrote:
Well I saw it today, mac. What a delightful film!
There wasn't a single character in it that I couldn't like or couldn't emphathise (sp?) with ... & who wasn't absolutely convincing in their role.
Ellen Page, in particular, was absolutely terrific as Juno.
Highly recommended.
(... & yeah, I had to get my tissues out once or twice, too! :wink:)

Here's the NYTimes review for any of you who might be interested in learning a bit more about the film.:

Seeking Mr. and Mrs. Right for a Baby on the Way

December 5, 2007/NYT film review

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/12/05/arts/05juno600.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:52 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Ta Guk Gi

...um, shewolf ..... could you explain that post?

Confused Embarrassed
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:12 pm
msolga wrote:
Linkat wrote:
...I don't think I have ever heard or since small forest creatures sing, dance and perform to their capacity.

I thought I selected the best yet!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:14 am
Linkat wrote:
msolga wrote:
Linkat wrote:

I thought I selected the best yet!

Could be! :wink:
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm
msolga wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
Ta Guk Gi

...um, shewolf ..... could you explain that post?

Confused Embarrassed

It's a Korean film.See HERE.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:32 pm
Thank you for asking, Barry. :wink:

I was wondering, too.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:53 pm
Wasn't asking mate.Just trying to point you in the direction of one of the best "war" films ever made Very Happy .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:09 pm
Ah, I see! :wink:
0 Replies