Name the most engrossing/impressive film you saw in 2007.

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:25 am
patiodog wrote:
It's very overtly violent, with very still-frame, noneditorial cinematography. Not glorifying, not moralistic, just bluntly portrayed. Way beyond Fargo.

Hmmmm ...
That's a pity (for me). Honestly not too good with it.

Here's the NYT's readers' most popular films list.
It might jolt a few more responses out of some of you:

http://www.nytimes.com/gst/mostpopularmovies.html
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:28 am
Would be interested in seeing Eastern Promises if it wasn't Kronenberg. I've never really liked one of his movies. Anyone know if this one is different? Like, a little human, maybe?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:37 am
Can't help you there, sorry, patiodog.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:48 am
"Best of 2007 list" from Rotten Tomatoes:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_country_for_old_men/news/1700054/
0 Replies

amyjanelle07

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:53 pm
This may not have been the best film of '07, but I am a bit of a horror junkie and loved Saw IV.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:37 am
patiodog wrote:
Would be interested in seeing Eastern Promises if it wasn't Kronenberg. I've never really liked one of his movies. Anyone know if this one is different? Like, a little human, maybe?

Ummmmm...well. I liked it a lot......mind you, I had my head down and my eyes squeezed shut for the violent bits.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:39 am
msolga wrote:
I've read very good reviews of No Country For Old Men, patiodog & have been considering seeing it. But tell me, is it super violent? (Not good with really overt film violence here.)

I coped Msolga......and I am pretty sooky.

Mind you, I am good at knowing when it's coming, and squeezing my eyes shut.

I thought it was a great film.....very Coen brothers, with lots of shots echoing "Fargo"....

Very interesting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:48 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
I've read very good reviews of No Country For Old Men, patiodog & have been considering seeing it. But tell me, is it super violent? (Not good with really overt film violence here.)

I thought it was a great film.....very Coen brothers, with lots of shots echoing "Fargo"....

Very interesting.

Hmmmmm .... perhaps the blood n guts reports I've heard have been exaggerated? Otherwise nothing but raves.

So you don't think a person would be scarred for life? :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:56 am
The trick, msolga, is to develop a well-honed sense of when to squeeze your eyes shut, like Deb mentioned. Keep a little distance between your fingers in case there might be an interesting break between violent scenes and you can quickly squeeze your fingers shut as well as your eyes if it gets too blood and gutsy.

I'm very tempted to go see it even though I too don't like lots of violence. Deb's sooky, I'm spooky and you are what, just a little wimpy? Wimpiness is included in my spookiness in quite a large degree.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:58 am
Sooky sooky la la
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:13 am
Hmmmm, how close to Deb are you?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:17 am
Diane wrote:
The trick, msolga, is to develop a well-honed sense of when to squeeze your eyes shut, like Deb mentioned. Keep a little distance between your fingers in case there might be an interesting break between violent scenes and you can quickly squeeze your fingers shut as well as your eyes if it gets too blood and gutsy.

I'm very tempted to go see it even though I too don't like lots of violence. Deb's sooky, I'm spooky and you are what, just a little wimpy? Wimpiness is included in my spookiness in quite a large degree.

um, Diane ... I actually become quite distraught if it's overt enough. And as for any violence/cruelty involving animals ... I can't begin to describe .....

I will give your squeeze/fingers method a go if I do go & see it. Tell you what, Diane. I'll go if you go. How's that?

Many years ago, a friend & I attended a session of a film called Blind Terror. Along with a huge bunch of other women, as it happened. (A blind Mia Farrow was being stalked around this big house by someone in these menacing boots (that's all you saw of the person). Anyway, bit by bit, it became clear that the house was full of corpses! And our Mia discovered them one by one. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, it was absolutely terrifying! So all these all these women (who didn't know each other, of course) were gasping, screaming & grabbing each other! I tell you, that was an experience not to be forgotten! Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:35 am
Msolga, I cruelty to animals is involved, I won't go, no matter how great the reviews.

All those creeped out women must have been an experience. If I had known beforehand about the film, I wouldn't have gone--that's waaaay too gory for me.

You were a brave trooper.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:57 am
Diane wrote:
....All those creeped out women must have been an experience. If I had known beforehand about the film, I wouldn't have gone--that's waaaay too gory for me.

You were a brave trooper.

Nah, none of us were brave really, Diane. We had no idea it would be quite so gory! When the lights came on at the end (it was over, phew!) we all had laugh with each other. A nice moment between strangers. Pretty funny episode, really. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:11 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Very interesting.

Hmmmmm .... perhaps the blood n guts reports I've heard have been exaggerated? Otherwise nothing but raves.

So you don't think a person would be scarred for life? :wink:

Lol! Not scarred for life, no.

Thing is, the first scene is the shooting of an animal (long-distance) and I think you would hate that.....but I think the film is worth the distress. I am going to see it again, so I can ponder more. Picked up the book at a book shop and read a bit...fascinating.

The Mia corpse film was, I think, pure horror, while No Country is a film with something to say.

I think there is a distinction.

I am still resonating with No Country.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:14 am
dadpad wrote:
Sooky sooky la la

Monotremes got no reason,
Monotremes got no reason,
Monotremes got no reason to live....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:21 am
Cant help myself,
brown rabbits
Well i'm running wild, lost control
And it's a shame to think
That a boy like me
Has got so many , bad habits
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:29 am
OK, will seriously consider No Country ..., then.

I imagined it was violence reminiscent of Peckinpah (sp?) ....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 06:01 am
dadpad wrote:
Cant help myself,
brown rabbits
Well i'm running wild, lost control
And it's a shame to think
That a boy like me
Has got so many , bad habits

I am a WHITE Wabbit.

I don't think I ever dared a Peckinpah.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 12:11 pm
We watched an incredible movie the other day "Vitus" a Swiss movie with
subtitles. It brought a new twist to child prodigy.

Short synopsis (Amazon)

Quote:
VITUS is a film from Switzerland that has garnered many accolades and nearly won an Oscar. And yes, it is that good! Written by Fredi M. Murer, Peter Luisi, and Lukas B. Suter and directed by Murer, VITUS explores the life of a child genius, a lad who from the age of five is obviously gifted in that he can play Bach et al after only a few months lessons and is able to read books and understand concepts that make his stance in a regular kindergarten class untenable. But the film is less about the gifts of a child prodigy than it is a story of how a genius child longs for a normal childhood. It is in the telling of the story that the audience is privileged to discover the joys and trials in a child's view of being extraordinary.

Vitus - played at age 6 by Fabrizio Borsani and at age 12 by Teo Gheorghiu - is referred to as a little Mozart by his parents Helen (Julika Jenkins) and Leo (Urs Jucker), and by the family friends who are amazed at Vitus' gift as a pianist. But as is often the case with gifted children, they are overprotected, not allowed to engage in the normal activities of being a kid. Vitus finds consolation in his grandfather (a brilliant Bruno Ganz) whose creative energy includes Vitus in his longing to fly and to build complex machines. While Vitus continues his love for the piano he also takes risks with his beloved grandfather. Vitus' intelligence serves him well in analyzing the complexities of his father's job and his grandfather's role in that position, and it is his genius that leads the family in a direction no one thought possible. And of course with every story of an extraordinary young lad adapting to a puzzling world, there is also a love interest: Isabel at age 12 (Kristina Lykowa) is his fun-loving babysitter and at age 19 (Tamara Scarpellini) is the queen of his inexperienced heart and fill a void in Vitus' life that otherwise would be empty. Fitting all of these subplots together is made magical by Vitus' constant playing of classical music - a feat the young actor is capable of performing on his own!

The cast of this film is not only gifted but is also endearing. Bruno Ganz is a brilliant actor and he is matched by both of the young actors who play Vitus. The story is tender but avoids bathos. It simply is an uplifting, inspiring, entertaining film. A Must See!

A must see indeed!
0 Replies