Mohammed to beat Jack as top UK boys' name by year end 2007

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:43 am
Every muslim is named Muhammed/Mohammed. Every one of them.

Still, for a religion that keeps its women covered head to toe to prevent "morality problems", they sure do **** a lot.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:53 am
cjhsa wrote:
Every muslim is named Muhammed/Mohammed. Every one of them.

Correct, like Hüseyin Kenan Aydi;n, a member of the German federal parliament, or Haji Abid, the mayor of Luton (UK), or Sevim Dagdelen, another MP in Germany, or Zalmay Khalilzad, the current US Ambassador to Iraq ...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:57 am
They just don't use it. They still have it in their name somewhere.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:04 am
cjhsa wrote:
They just don't use it. They still have it in their name somewhere.

Thanks. Chapeau for your knowledge in various registry laws as well as in Islamitic namegiving culture.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:36 am
Would you care to comment on their rabbit like reproductive rate?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:12 am
cjhsa wrote:
Would you care to comment on their rabbit like reproductive rate?

So you knock them for having a misogynist culture, but don't bat an eyelash being completely racist?

Typical redneck, backwoods bumpkin ****.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:13 am
Nice.

You guys just love being part of the problem, don't you?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:15 am
cjhsa wrote:
Nice.

You guys just love being part of the problem, don't you?

Go back to the toolshed--your cousin's waiting. She's watching Hee-Haw in her underwear.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:17 am
Why do you even participate in a thread that is clearly about a threat to British life as it used to exist, if your position is that there is no threat?

I really don't get it. Britain takes 1000 years to build its monarchy and its country only to be overrun by people that don't really belong there in what amounts to a bloodless coup. And you don't care. You throw out the race card because you probably have a stake in their success.

What will they call Big Ben? Bin Laden?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
How knowledgable Setanta is...

Setanta wrote:
The Gurkha's

Love those crazy apostrophes.

Quote:
a brigade of Gurkha's was formed, which has served with the English army in all of England's wars and "police actions" up to an including the war with Argentina and the action in Sierra Leone.

It's the British army, and Britain's wars.

Quote:
The Provos ... who ... killed thousands with their bombs.

Er, no.

Northern Ireland deaths 1969 -1994

Catholic Paramiltaries (provos, etc) 1896
Loyalist Paramilitaries (UDF etc) 935
Regular British Army 316
Civilians 16
Police 10
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
cjhsa wrote:
Britain takes 1000 years to build its monarchy and its country only to be overrun by people that don't really belong there in what amounts to a bloodless coup.

Thats an argument.

And all started in 1066 when poor old Harold Godwinson (a typical English name in those days) was defeated by Guillaume le Bâtard (a typical name later) until today, when the Germans (so we are finally [nealry] back to the Angles and Sxons] were and are on the British (and English) throne ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:40 am
The inappropriate (and an unconscious mistake) use of an apostrophe is evidence that i lack knowledge? How very contrexian.

You say Britain and British, i'll continue to say England and English. I know of no good reason to assume that the Britons were ever consulted in such matters.

My reference to was to killings (and yes, i did specifically refer to bombings) in Ulster and in England. By the figures you give, and excluding Catholic paramilitaries, who can reasonably be excluded from the list of those willfully killed by the Provos, you're still at a figure over 1000. Add the deaths in England, and your number certainly won't drop under 1000.

But my point, which you ignore entirely, is that "assimilation" is no guarantee against violence, and the lack of "assimilation" is no guarantee that there will be violence. McT wrote:

McTag wrote:
Some southwest asians DO wilfully avoid assimilation,not least because their religion, or some of its more outspoken mullahs, asserts that western culture and values are corrupt.

That's not particularly new, some Jewish and other religious sects living here have also done that. But they didn't try to blow us up, or demand to live under their own laws.

It's a knotty problem.

I doubt his proposition that failure to assimilate is evidence of a knotty problem--and i've explained why i think so.

You, in a fashion typical of the bile you so often spew in these threads, have cut up what i've written, and offered petty and meaningless criticism which don't address the point.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:40 am
Regarding the "demographic" issue, what I see in the story is that 1.5 million Moslems in Britain are more inclined to think alike in their choice of boy's names, than 58.5 million non-Moslems, who are more likely to choose lots of varied names for their boys.

The story quotes a professor who says that many Moslems believe that naming a boy Mohammed will bring him luck in life. Lots of Moslems are not called Mohammed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
cjhsa wrote:

What will they call Big Ben? Bin Laden?

Not really - that's just an English, meaning the main bell in the Great Clock of Westminster.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
Gargamel wrote:
your cousin's waiting. She's watching Hee-Haw in her underwear.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:58 am
contrex wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
your cousin's waiting. She's watching Hee-Haw in her underwear.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll be. Looks like contrex popped a woody.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:34 pm
Pffft!

If Mohammed will not go to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammed....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
McTag wrote:
Some southwest asians DO wilfully avoid assimilation,not least because their religion, or some of its more outspoken mullahs, asserts that western culture and values are corrupt.

That's not particularly new, some Jewish and other religious sects living here have also done that. But they didn't try to blow us up, or demand to live under their own laws.

It's a knotty problem.

I'm not convinced that there actually is a "knotty problem." The Gurkha's have served first John Company and then the English army for almost 200 years. They served with distinction alongside the English during the Great Mutiny in 1857, and fought for England in both World Wars. After Indian/Pakistani independence, a brigade of Gurkha's was formed, which has served with the English army in all of England's wars and "police actions" up to an including the war with Argentina and the action in Sierra Leone. The Gurkha's are not assimilated. For obvious reasons, they learn English to a certain extent--but they not only retain their ties to Nepal and northern India, they have special leave provisions to return there to be with their families. They continue to primarily speak their native language, they practice their native religion and they remain the sons of their native culture. Nevertheless, the lack of "assimilation" has never lessened the value of the Gurkhas to the English army, nor their loyalty to that army, and their willingness to serve, and if necessary to make the ultimate sacrifice.

During the American civil war, Germans, Poles and Irish in their thousands literally stepped off the boat and into the Federal Army. There were so many Germans and Poles in the Army of the Potomac that the XIth Corps was comprised almost exclusively of them. Louis Blenker and Franz Sigel were, perhaps, "assimilated," having emigrated to the United States after the 1848 uprisings. But the men who served under them were overwhelmingly new arrivals, who'd had no time to assimilate. Officers such as Adolf von Steinwehr and Alexander Schimmelpfennig commanded these men who spoke no English, but who nevertheless proudly served Mr. Lincoln and were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. The Irish Brigade fought with sufficient devotion that by the time of the battle of Gettysburg their brigade was reduced to hardly more than 600 men, not enough for a full-strength regiment--their priests celebrated the mass for them, and they marched off into oblivion and military immortality. All these men who sacrificed their lives were "unassimilated."

Consider also, if you will, the case of Cat Stevens, now Yusuf Islam. He was certainly "assimilated," and is a native of London. That did not prevent him, however, after his conversion to Islam, from speaking in favor of the fatwa calling for the death of Salman Rushdie--despite his high profile and genuine efforts to work for peace in so many places in the world. The Provos who set off bombs in Ulster and right across England were assimilated--they were born in the UK, spoke the language as their mother tongue, attended the school system of the UK, and moved comfortably in a culture in which they were fully assimilated. And they killed thousands with their bombs.

Assimilation does not assure that anyone is peaceful and harmless, and the lack of assimilation does not prevent anyone from serving an alien culture loyally.

Amidst all this cut and paste historical detail from Wikipedia is really no sensible point at all.

The Gurkhas are professional warriors, not immigrants. Their experience within Britain is entirely meaningless to the topic at hand, and even if we stretched the meaning of immigrant beyond reasonable bounds, and included Ghurkhas among their ranks, they number about 3,000. If, for the sake of discussion, we assume that each Ghurka soldier brings his family with him to the UK, and that each averages 5 children, we are left with 21,000 "Ghurka immigrants" in a total population of 61 million.

Similarly, your reference to immigrants who immediately joined the Union Army is so narrowly focused as to be also meaningless.

I don't believe anyone has or will argue that there is an expectation of immediate assimilation upon entry into a new homeland, or that singular failures or refusals to assimilate perforce represent danger. You insist upon arguing your point around the fringes.

Assimilation takes time, and there is a significant difference between immigrants who take time to assimilate and those who refuse to assimilate.

Finally your reference to Cat Stevens is truly ridiculous.

Stevens is a native born Brit. His parents were, respectively, Greek and Swedish. I know you are the self-styled historian of A2K, but I doubt even you can make an argument that the Greek/Swedish immigration experience remotely represented that of southern asians. Even if you could, your premise remains hollow. A single individual's actions tells us absolutely nothing about the importance or irrelevance of assimilation.

If you are going to make the argument that assimilation by immigrants is unimportant, you will need better examples.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:25 pm
There is no cut and paste in any of that from Wikipedia or anywhere else.

After all of you whining about the assumptions people have made about your intent, i find your latest bile hilarious.

If you are going to make a case that assimilation is important, you'll need to present some evidence--any at all. So far, you've just dealt innuendo, which is, of course, your stock in trade.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 05:29 pm
And for those who agree with Set and/or who hold "tolerance" in such high regard:

Can you imagine a point where your adoration for tolerance is tested?

The rise of the name Mohammed may or may not represent a tipping point, but given irrefutable demographics and, arguably, a significantly diminished focus on assimilation, it is entirely possible that the day will come when the green and pleasant lands of England bear more of a southern asian than northern european stamp.

This may very well be the inexorable wave of history at work, and a stoic acceptance of it may be reasonable, but is it to be welcomed?

I seriously doubt that Pakistanis confronted by waves of Finnish immigration wouldn't miss a step when Jussi supplanted Mohammed as the number one boy's name in Pakistan.

You can, I suppose, take shelter in the notion that it will never happen, but that, to me, seems a dodge. Imagine, for a moment that it will, and that you as a Welshman, Scot or Englishman are relegated to the minority. Will your equanimity endure?

Should this possible future give you, at least, pause, the logical response is not to discriminate against immigrants. This is the reflexive response of the Left to any such discussion. Any concern for the sublimation of the native culture, is, by definition, racist! ---- expect of course when it is Western culture doing the sublimating.

Assimilation is not submission. Immigrants do not have to abandon their cultural heritage to become productive citizens within their new homeland, and enhance rather than subsume the native culture.

Again, perhaps southern asian immigrants to the UK are doing a fine job of assimilating. Certainly the popularity of Mohammed is no proof that they are not, but what about terrorist plots? What about insistence on reserving public swimming pools for a day each week for muslim women? What about 40% of Muslim Brits wanting the imposition of Sharia law? What about one third of Muslims Brits believing that Western culture is immoral and that Muslims should bring it to an end?

The question inherent in this thread extends beyond the UK experience with muslim immigrants. What is the reasonable and even proper response of native citizens to cultural transformation by immigrants? Is it xenophobia to feel anything stronger than acceptance?

It is all well and good to cry racism and xenophobia when you feel secure within your cultural base, but what about when that base is threatened?

Obviously there is line between irrational fear and aggression, and justified concern, but how thick or thin is that line?

There is a reason why, historically, mankind has reacted in the extreme to these sorts of pressures. The sense of tribe, nation or culture is deeply felt within all of us, and perhaps only realized when it is threatened. This, of course, doesn't mean we need to react in the extreme, but it doesn't seem to make sense to whistle past the graveyard and cast aspersions on any sentiment of concern.

It is a thorny problem, and not only the making of the immigrants. Of course we can deny the thorny problem exists and cite the examples of Ghurkas and Cat Stevens as proof, but it will eventually come to a head and if we have refused to discuss it until that time, the response will be extreme.
0 Replies