MSN and Internet Explorer

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:47 pm
I have no idea what happened, but I did something stupid, and now MSN and Internet Explorer have changed everything on my pc.

I got a new DSL modem today, and I can get help in hooking it up, but my real question is this. If I uninstall Internet Explorer or MSN, will I still be able to access A2K?

I simply need some advice as I want to be able to explain to the person who helps me, exactly what the problem is.

As of now, my only access to the forum is via the search part of my computer(that section that shows the small magnifying glass) Spell check no longer works, either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,841 • Replies: 30
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:04 pm
I wish I knew how to help. Alas, I am helpless.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
My word, edgar. I am amazed that this message even got through. My pc froze after I hit submit, and I thought that I had lost it.

Well, I can call AT&T and get them to send someone here, I guess, but that still won't help me with this particular problem.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:07 am
You need some sort of browser in order to be able to access A2K or anything else on the Internet. That is what Internet Explorer is. Unless you have an alternative, say, Opera, Firefox, AOL's own proprietary lousy browser or Netscape, you cannot get into A2K.

So keep IE unless you have an alternative.

As for "deleting MSN", I wish I knew what you meant. Is it a link to MSN? If so, then by all means can it, although I bet it's not the source of your problem. Is it a toolbar? If so, you can probably delete it. Is it being used as a browser? Then see the IE paragraph, above. Is it just Hotmail? Then it's a link and you can delete it, but dollars to donuts it's not the problem.

Please try to describe the problem you're having. Post pictures if you can. Is it slow? A weird-looking site? Popups? A redirection when you type in one web address you end up at another? A change in your home page that you didn't authorize?

You have got to give more specific information, otherwise it's next to impossible to help you. Okay? Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
Damn. Just screwed up again and hit "new topic." That's because the area I am using is quite narrow, and I have to scroll back and forth to find the applicable place.

Jes, it is very difficult to explain as I don't quite know what happened. I think it has to do with the updates that I gave MSN the go ahead to do. I probably clicked on something that I should not have. From that point on, I have not been able to access A2K in the normal way, but have to use the search function(the one with the small magnifying glass) to get here. Internet Explorer doesn't even display now, nor does Yahoo from which I get my alerts via IM. I can no longer post pictures, either.

I now have local area connection 2 which is Xed out because the message says: A network cable is unplugged. Confused

Sorry that I cannot be more articulate.(spell check doesn't work either)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:15 am
Okay, you're beyond my aid and should definitely have someone come over. Sounds like, among other things, a cable may be unplugged. Things that someone would have to be there in order to diagnose.

As for getting to A2K, you shouldn't have to use search. If you can get to favorites, make this url a favorite: www.able2know.org

If you can't get to favorites, stick www.able2know.org into an email and send it to yourself, then click on the link in the email when you want to get to A2K.

Don't forget, it's .org and not .com
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
Thanks, Jes. I cannot get to anything, honey. Can't do links, cannot access favorites. Just received my DSL modem, and when I get it hooked up, maybe that will resolve the problem.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:41 pm
Frustrating. I just had everything done by an expert, but I still cannot post a picture. Hamster keeps telling me that I didn't do the URL thing. Wonder if the approach has changed.

No box appears at the top left. Would DSL affect this problem?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:50 pm
The way to post pictures has not changed. DSL wouldn't affect it anyway. If you want to post a picture, get the url of the picture and put it between the following tags:
Code:[IMG]http://www.moxie99.com/horse_stamp_an2.gif[/IMG]

The image then shows up like so: http://www.moxie99.com/horse_stamp_an2.gif

You need to have the tags on either side of the url, exactly as I've shown in the code box, and the url has to be correct and complete as well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:05 pm
I don't know how to get the URL, Jes. I don't understand why I can't do it the way that I used to: Click on properties then IMG and paste the picture in the rectangle that appeared up in the left hand corner. For example, here is a hobby horse that I found and the link to it.

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BE8C18C8-4388-46D5-A7B7-993759CD7149/0/horse.jpg

Do I click on URL in the rectangle on my right?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
I'm not sure what rectangle you're referring to. But if you simply type [img] to the left of that url and [/img] to the right, you should get an image.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:14 pm
Letty, I'm pulling my hair out for you. You are not alone. Next time an "expert" comes to your house be sure to have him or her (before the leave) do all the things on your PC that you cannot do now. Good luck.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:18 pm
Thanks, Jes and JL. I hate when I have to unlearn then relearn.

Actually, the technician forgot to clue my outlook express in about the DSL so he's coming by tomorrow to fix that. I will show him Jes' instructions and maybe he can stand over my shoulder and tell me step by step.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:31 pm
And you may want to write down each "step."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:10 am
Letty--

You have my sympathy.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:18 am
When you get things sorted out, I would suggest you download Firefox. If you don't use it as you main browser (if, for instance, you prefer IE), at least it would be a backup for you if IE screwed up again. (It will import your Favorites when you install it, BTW.)

The link to get that download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Wish I could be of more help.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:20 am
Ticomaya wrote:
When you get things sorted out, I would suggest you download Firefox. If you don't use it as you main browser (if, for instance, you prefer IE), at least it would be a backup for you if IE screwed up again. (It will import your Favorites when you install it, BTW.)

The link to get that download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Wish I could be of more help.
good advice..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:26 am
Thank you, Noddy, JL and Tico.

Tico, I have Mozilla FireFox. The technician did that for me, but that may be part of the reason that I cannot do pictures, etc. Not savvy enough to be sure. I do love the fact that the entire process is soooo much faster, however.

Hope to get Outlook Express working today. Let's just hope Eva gets her electricity back on today. I went through that with hurricane Frances.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:50 am
My brother was without electricity for 5 days as a result of that storm. The latest I heard was many won't get it turned on by Christmas.

-----

As far as pictures, I can't figure out how you used to do it, but jespah showed you the way. Regarding the hobby horse picture you referenced ... you have the url. Here is the url:

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BE8C18C8-4388-46D5-A7B7-993759CD7149/0/horse.jpg

Now, in order to get that to display on A2K, just type [IMG] immediately before the url, and then "[/IMG]" immediately after the url. Thus, it will look like this after you do the typing:

Code:[IMG]http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BE8C18C8-4388-46D5-A7B7-993759CD7149/0/horse.jpg[/IMG]

and the result will be:

That's the way I've done it for years.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:16 am
ok, going to try.

htpp://www.wakefield.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BE8C18C8-4388-46DS-A787-993759CD7149/0/horse.jpg

Wow. There must be an easier way. Probably not right.
0 Replies