Sazzafrazz???

Ceili

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:15 pm
Hello, the other night I was flipping through the 57 channels and nothing was on, as usual.

I rarely watch Martha, she annoys me. But there was this guy, I think he was from Louisiana. He was grinding a herb??? in an old wooden log that's been passed down through the generations in his family. He said it was sazzafrazz - looked like bay leaves. He said it was used in rootbeer.
Is this true. If so what else do you use it in? What does it taste like?
Can you buy it anywhere but the deep south?
Thanks,
Ceili
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,671 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fealola

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:46 pm
He's talking about Sassafras. It's a tree. We had them in Pennsylvania. So they don't grow just in the south.

You can make tea out the leaves and I believe some kind of root beer.

I remember chewing the leaves and branches when I was a kid. Kind of a sweet woody taste. I don't know about buying it. Maybe now that you have the name, you can figure it out!

Keep the quetions coming Ceili! You're making me feel like I'm semi-knowledgable tonight! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:48 pm
Without digging around, I think it's sassafras. Seems like it's a tree bark or something that used to be used to concoct some sort of beverage. Popular saloon drink for sissies in the old horse operas.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:49 pm
I just googled sassafras. Many links came up including advertisements on the right where you can buy it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:09 pm
My pleasure fealola,
You are a fountain of knowledge.

Is it kinda like licorice root?

Thanks for helping me spell it. Now I can google it.
Ta,
Ceili
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
Come to think of it, it does have a licoricey, anise-y taste!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:07 pm
All I remember about sassafras is that it makes tea thats really sweet however, I believe we made it with lots of sugar so, that could be the reason.
Grows wild all over the place here in NE.
0 Replies